Fiat CR-20 Bis AQ, 111 Sq. Regia Aeronautica, Asmara (Eritrea), 1935 (1/72)

Hi,

The Italian invasion of Abyssinia in yeras 1935-36  had some share in military airplanes history. There was a huge bias in power balane - from Abyssinian side there were only few machines, transport and recce, no even single fighter whereas Italy used about 100 airplane, mostly of five types at start: Fiat CR 20 as fighter, Romeo (IMAM) Ro-1 & Ro 37 bis  as observation, light bomber and liaison as well as Caproni 101 & 111  as bomber/transport machines.   I would like to recall this uneven war doing a couple of  models. First finished is Fiat CR 20 bis AQ, machine of 111 Squadron commander based in Asmara (Eritrea) in 1935 . Model is a  rather new short run by Kora in 1/72 build OOB (the only change - the prop is constructed rotable) within Africa GB. 

The WIP is here:

And the model:

51115847920_e6211bbc5f_b.jpg

51114964293_9e0c1ccb63_b.jpg51115848040_279ce44163_b.jpg

51114492207_8263a89fd3_b.jpg

51115056051_abdebcc07f_b.jpg

51114964518_a0288001c5_b.jpg

51115848345_3b66eecdbf_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

#5/2021 (Breguet 273, Hanriot 232, Saro Lerwick. Shcherbakov Shche2, Fiat Cr 20 bis) 

Edited by JWM
  • Like 14

Thank you! 

30 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Lovely FIAT JWM.  What did you think of the kit?

In general - not bad given that it is short run. What made me angry was a instrument panel made of resin and which did not fit in place (I think proper fit of it needs scribing the fuselage walls), moreover the ends of MG which goes across panel (like in Hawker Fury or other machines from this era) instead of being done together with panel is resin they are made of styren and they are very tiny.  This is a one think I am really not happy with how I did it. To be honest I would prefer it all in plastic even simplified.  I really do not know why one not very difficult part "has to be" done in resin, perhaps just  to make kit a "multi media" one. ;) The another resin (clear) part was windscreen and it was ok. The kit contains u/c parts for both CR 20 and Cr 20 bis, but the places where u/c comes  are marked (as small holes) so you have to fill the not used one. The construction of u/c for "Bis" variant is also a bit tricky, not obvious, you have to observe the angle of wheel axis.  The montage of upper wing may look a bit horrible - 14 separate struts but it does not go VERY difficult (just a bit difficult :) ). As a summary - having it on shelf is worth those efforts ...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

This is a new type to me (not surprising really), and very interesting. Interwar aircraft are under-represented generally, European aircraft especially so. Good to see something different. The strut arrangement looks interesting but as you write not especially difficult. Good finish.

P

• Like 1

• JWM changed the title to Fiat CR-20 Bis AQ, 111 Sq. Regia Aeronautica, Asmara (Eritrea), 1935 (1/72)

The struts configuration is in fact very similar to later Fiat biplanes. the famous CR 32 and CR 42. I was surprised that 4 of CR 20 were for short time in Polish army in 1929, when a search for successor of  SPAD 61 was conducted. But even more I was surprised that in Lithuania they stayed in first line till the Soviet invasion in 1940 ...  I've learnt on those facts very recently, when I was searching for data on this airplane. So it is really a forgotten type and thanks Kora for recalling it by doing kit. You are certainly right that French and Italian interwar machines are mostly ignored by model producers... 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1