453rd Museum build....Lightning strikes twice.

Cheers chaps, very kind of you all.

Good to see them HGW rivets weren’t a waste of time.  

Thanks Steve, it's only when you run your fingers over the surface that you can feel there's actually something there, (quiet at the back!), to be honest though, on this one, you only really need them for the upper wings and tailplane, the complete set is a bit over the top, (in scope as well as price).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks chaps, unfortunately, due to a lot of modelling projects needing finishing and limited time to do it in, the P-38 has had to forge ahead quickly otherwise I don't think it would ever get finished. Consequently there aren't many more in progress images. The model is basically done now but I did manage to take a few of the underside during the weathering process. 

With the P-38 itself complete the next thing will be a suitable base...which will probably take as long as the kit!  photos to follow.......hopefully!

Thanks for looking, hope you approve. 

Melchie:cheers:

A mixture of weathering products were used including AMMO MIG filters and pastel powders, AK Interactive Fresh Engine Oil, fluid leaks, panel washes, etc , Liquitex inks and Abteilung 502/Adam Wilder oils. Some of these were applied using the airbrush and some via Rosemary & Co Kolinsky sable brushes. Although photos of 'Mackie' were far and few between many European period photographs were available and used wherever possible. While the Pacific Lightning's got extremely weather-beaten, faded and dusty the UK based aircraft were more muddy and paint chipped due to the prevailing weather and airfield conditions. 

1-AGD-1913.jpg

2-AGD-1914.jpg

Landing light bulb details were scratched from pieces of clear styrene. 

4-AGD-1916.jpg

5-AGD-1918.jpg

6-AGD-1919.jpg

Overall photo of the underside........almost done!

3-AGD-1915.jpg

• Like 28

Thanks chaps, as ever, much appreciated. Got to hand it to Tamiya, they really are head and shoulders above, this is only the second of their kits I've built but must say I'm impressed, (seriously looking at their F-4B). Even though, personally I like a bit of a challenge and a chance to improve things, these things just fall together, saving a lot of time and faffing about.....and as I'm not getting any younger and seem to be busier than ever these days, that's something that's appreciated now.

I received this through the post a few days ago and will begin work on them soon. The base will take a little longer, I have a few ideas, will post more soon.

71yAhwS5L5L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year everyone.

Cheers:cheers:

Melchie

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Hi all, apologies for the delays in reporting any progress here but work on this one's a bit sporadic at the moment. Anyway, I managed to get the ICM ground crew, occifer and pilot chappie painted and finished ready for a small airfield vignette I have planned for the model. Painted using both the AK and AMMO MIG flesh sets and a few Mr.Hobby acrylics for the uniforms. Hope you approve.

1-AGD-2092.jpg

1-AGD-2093-001.jpg

Next up will be the base itself. Thanks for looking, more soon.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 13

They are brilliant yer sirship, absolumley wonderful in fact.

Fancy bidding for a subcontract?

16383673684004616166148189978246.jpg

Every time I go near one of these with a paintbrush my pucker puckers...

(note to self, learn to do what Melchie does...)

• Haha 9

Thanks chaps, very kind of you,

Fancy bidding for a subcontract?

I'll pass if you don't mind Bill but that looks a barrel of fun, look forward to seeing you sprinkle some of your magic on it. Might have a job passing the NCAP requirements but at least everyone gets a decent view also, where will you fit the rotorhead?

• Haha 7

Credo looking superb,  General! :worthy:  :worthy:

Setting the model on a base isn't compulsory for the museum builds, right? Otherwise I'm in trouble.... :frantic: :D

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, general melchett said:

Painted using both the AK and AMMO MIG flesh sets and a few Mr.Hobby acrylics for the uniforms. Hope you approve.

Too many modelling skills for just one man….  Hang on;  does that sound just a mite churlish? :whistle::D

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 6