453rd Museum build....Lightning strikes twice.

Hi all, this is my contribution to the 453rd Museum build, an excellent way of remembering those who fought and lost their lives at that dark time. Jim, the curator is an incredibly nice chap and doing all this off his own bat, so it's a pleasure to help out. We were given a choice of kits to build and while I would normally have been happy to build several, due to a lack of time, I opted to build a pair of 1/48th P-38 Lightnings, a unique and interesting aircraft. A while back the first of a pair of 1/48th Tamiya P-38s arrived on my doorstep, along with appropriate aftermarket PE and decals. As Crisp (Ex-FAAWAFU) is in the process of building a P-38F belonging to the 1st Fighter Group, 8th Air Force I opted for a P-38G of the 78th FG to mix things up a little. This aircraft will be P-38G 42-12926 '10' Mackie of the 82nd Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force based at Goxhill, near Kingston-Upon-Hull. These P-38s were only based in the UK for a short time before being transferred to the 12th AF ,North Africa to participate in Operation Torch in Feb 1943. The other model will be a P-38H of the 20th FG based at King's Cliffe which I'll add to this thread, once it arrives.

All the praise heaped on the Tamiya kit is well deserved. The quality is exactly what is expected of Tamiya these days, perfect fit, crisply moulded parts and excellent detail. A perfectly good model can be built straight out of the box but as I already have some aftermarket for the kit, I've decided to use it here.

Anyway, enough wiffle and on with the build. Crisp covered the contents of the box at the beginning of his build so there's no need to go through that here so I'll just concentrate on the build.

The project will be a bit sporadic I'm afraid, due to other modelling commitments right now so please bear that in mind if nothing appears for a while.

Looking through my EPDF books on the P-38 I managed to find a photo of '10' Mackie which will help in working out where everything went and the position of the camo demarcation lines. Interesting that the main wheels have their covers fitted while the nose wheel hasn't...and all that lovely British mud, the finest available.

1-Haunebu002.jpg

The American Air Museum in Britain (IWM) site will prove extremely useful.

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/535

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy it. 

Firstly, the obligatory box art,

06-6-Haunebu035-2.jpg

Jim supplied some aftermarket items including the Eduard Big-Ed PE set, (I'll only be using the instrument panel from the cockpit set but the airframe parts should prove useful).

05-5-AGD-0906-2.jpg

I have a review sample of the superb Quinta Studio 3D printed cockpit, unfortunately this is for the P-38F rather than the G, however, apart from the instrument panel which will come from the Big-Ed set, the rest can be used.

03-3-AGD-0898-2.jpg

04-4-AGD-0899-2.jpg

The Eduard-Brassin Löökplus resin set, which includes wheels, superchargers, masks and instrument panel. The gun barrels are from Quickboost to replace the kit's underwhelming parts.

01-1-AGD-0891-2.jpg

First up will be the cockpit followed by the undercarriage bays.

More soon.

Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 19

Ha!!! 👍

Just did it! 

I @Bandsaw Steve have just posted @general melchett’s ten thousandth like!

Can you believe it!?!?! That I, a young and generally unremarkable fellow from the far off wilds of Western Australia, born and raised in humble circumstances in the everyday New Zealand suburb of Bandsaw Springs should have this honour!

From here, the world is my oyster! I expect rapid promotion, fame, fortune, widespread adoration and a great deal of luck with the ladies!

Congratulations on your achievement Sir and thank you for giving me this humbling opportunity - an honour beyond my wildest imaginings!

I shall dine out on this for the rest of my life.

🥇

• Haha 15

Well, that didn't last long did it!...there was me, fully intending to conduct this thread with due solemnity and decorum and I see that's gone out of the window with the first reply. Oh well, I suppose it'll just have to descend into chaos and wild thread-drifting, as usual. I shall gird (and grease) my loins...

From here, the world is my oyster! I expect rapid promotion, fame, fortune, widespread adoration and a great deal of luck with the ladies!

Congratulations on your achievement Sir and thank you for giving me this humbling opportunity - an honour beyond my wildest imaginings!

Thanks for tipping me over the edge Steve...(cheque's in the post)...you'll get all the above and much more (some of which you probably won't take kindly to), plus, you win a night out/in with Darling, all expenses paid (by you, of course...his tastes are a little 'specialized' for my palette). He's willing to travel, when allowed, he's been jabbed (numerous times). I hear he can rustle up a particularly interesting 8 inch 'Bombay Surprise' which oddly, does include oysters.

Thanks Roger, appreciated.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks for tipping me over the edge Steve...(cheque's in the post)...you'll get all the above and much more (some of which you probably won't take kindly to), plus, you win a night out/in with Darling, all expenses paid (by you, of course...his tastes are a little 'specialized' for my palette). He's willing to travel, when allowed, he's been jabbed (numerous times). I hear he can rustle up a particularly interesting 8 inch 'Bombay Surprise' which oddly, does include oysters.

Thank you Sir,  that sounds lovely.

But frankly , I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of medals and a tour of the home front to bolster the morale of the civy crowd. Do something substantial for the war effort. Perhaps sell some war bonds... speak to some of the more prominent women’s auxiliary outfits... go to some music halls and so forth.

After all it shouldn’t really be about me...

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of medals and a tour of the home front to bolster the morale of the civy crowd. Do something substantial for the war effort. Perhaps sell some war bonds... speak to some of the more prominent women’s auxiliary outfits... go to some music halls and so forth.

Your more than welcome for a tour of our porch and I'll have a word with the memsahib about you borrowing some of her Women's Auxiliary outfits...what size are you? that way you can contribute something substantial to the war effort, flog a few war bonds and boost their flagging morals, at the same time. Until then I can arrange a night out at the Lyceum Ballroom.....how about 'The Old Lady shows her ruddy great Medals' by J.M. Barrie, starring our very own thespian from the trenches, Baldrick, or might that be a tad too racy?

• Haha 9

All this 453rd building going on, and now the General is joining in!

When all the builds are done and in situ, I might have to dust off the Passport and cross the border into Norfolkland for a visit. I've had all my vaccinations. 

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, general melchett said:

Luckily there is a good supply of images on the American Air Museum in Britain (IWM) site which will prove useful.

It’s a treasure trove that site ain’t it.  Good photo’s and some really detailed info on the aircrew and aircraft.

I know in advance that I’m gonna enjoy this thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

After all it shouldn’t really be about me...

🤔

Oh yes, now I think it really should be.

As well as the usual infinitely brilliant General Melchett modelmakery and bunter.

Er did I really say Bunter?

Expecting a Baldrick to raise his bespotted little face over the parapet but Bunter has arrived out of left field whatever that means*

Mind if I tuck in at the back and tidy up the inevitable spills when Darling remembers he was supposed to get the bus home from the Front, again?

* As this is unchartable territory for me expect all sorts of cod-americanisms from back here on the nearest bar stool to the wall. Gorblimey yes guv!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks chaps

When all the builds are done and in situ, I might have to dust off the Passport and cross the border into Norfolkland for a visit. I've had all my vaccinations. 

As long as all your papers are in order you should be OK...just watch out for those pesky Norfolk Broads, they'll rob you blind!

It’s a treasure trove that site ain’t it.

Thanks Steve, yes an amazing site, very useful info including some inspirational images for creating Vignettes (haven't ruled that out yet).

Mind if I tuck in at the back and tidy up the inevitable spills when Darling remembers he was supposed to get the bus home from the Front, again?

As this is unchartable territory for me expect all sorts of cod-americanisms from back here on the nearest bar stool to the wall. Gorblimey yes guv!

You tuck in my old friend, I'm sick of mopping up after Darling's spillages (natural and unnatural). You're not alone here Bill, this isn't usually my 'bag' either...if it isn't held together with string, Bomber Command related, floating on the wet stuff or have chuffin great afterburners strapped to it then I'm all at sea, (though no more than usual, I suppose). So let us learn together and hopefully help cement Anglo/American relations (or singlehandedly undo 100 years of a happy union between John Bull and Uncle Sam). Either way we'll have a bit of a laff.

These will be needed along the way, my trusty SBS rivetting tool and JLC razor saw...

1-AGD-0991.jpg

Along with scaled drawings taken from my go-to Russian Blueprints site. (just use Google Translate)

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw.html

While the Tamiya kit has great basic surface detail it would certainly benefit from added rivet detail across the entire airframe. This was particularly noticeable across the upper inner-wing areas where the air and ground crews movements chipped and scuffed a lot of the Olive Drab away, leaving the rivet detail exposed. A fairly long process but hopefully worth the effort. When it comes to the natural metal P-38H I may well use the HGW 3D rivet set specifically designed for the kit as I have one here.

• Like 8

The General has started.  I knew this day would come.

No pressure, Crisp...

Good lord, no pressure...let battle commence.....as Lt George famously said 'Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' or was it 'Whoops Mrs Miggins, you're sitting on my artichokes'.....always get them mixed up..

• Haha 9

Well !!

Another big push ahead !!

General Melchett striking twice... A least !!

May I take a seat at the bar ??

I can promise that I'll behave.... But I think it's useless

Rocket fuel at the ready, cheese cubes too !!

Everything's all right, proceed at will, 

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

might have to dust off the Passport and cross the border into Norfolkland for a visit. I've had all my vaccinations. 

I heard special vaccinations are required in Norfolkshire. Something to do with smuggling canaries I believe, a sort of local-yocal version of budgie smuggling (with which I'm sure Bandsaw Steve will be familiar). I believe Baldrick had his own special version. 

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid....

Ian

• Haha 6

Oh good lord, the bar's definitely open, they're all pouring in.....guard, guard, bolt all the doors, hammer large pieces of crooked wood against the windows etc. Darling will be on the door ready to relieve you of your valuables, just leave him a small tip and he might even return them.

I can promise that I'll behave.... But I think it's useless

What, the promise or you behaving?  remember CC.....'futility is resistant'.  Cheese cubes sound lovely though, I'll fetch the pineapple, cocktail sticks and little paper brollies.

I believe, a sort of local-yocal version of budgie smuggling (with which I'm sure Bandsaw Steve will be familiar). I believe Baldrick had his own special version. 

Budgie smuggling, now that takes me back. Baldrick does indeed have his own version, something to do with turnips, elm bark and axle grease...though he calls them his 'unmentionables'...I totally agree.

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

These will be needed along the way, my trusty SBS rivetting tool and JLC razor saw...

1-AGD-0991.jpg

Along with scaled drawings taken from my go-to Russian Blueprints site. (just use Google Translate)

While the Tamiya kit has great basic surface detail it would certainly benefit from added rivet detail across the entire airframe. This was particularly noticeable across the upper inner-wing areas where the air and ground crews movements chipped and scuffed a lot of the Olive Drab away, leaving the rivet detail exposed. A fairly long process but hopefully worth the effort. When it comes to the natural metal P-38H I may well use the HGW 3D rivet set specifically designed for the kit as I have one here.

It will be interesting to compare the two approaches.  As anyone who recalls my Sea King build will not be astonished to learn, I too will be going down the HGW route on my P-38F.  I think the possibilities for the upper wing surfaces in particular are very intriguing 

• Like 4

I haven't tried the HGW rivets yet Crisp, they seem to get a mixed response from what I've read, not too sure how they'll react to all the chipping and weathering to come but there's only one way to find out. I've used Archer's rivets before (mainly on the 1/24th Buccaneer where they worked perfectly and looked good, given the scale, dead easy to apply). I've got several HGW review sample sets to play with before using them here, in anger. I read your method for applying them in the Sea King thread, excellent info and results. Still unsure whether to go down the rivetting tool or wet transfer route, I'll see after some ferocious experimentation.

Anyhow, might as well do a bit of modelling to fill the gaps between banter and severe thread drifting. Just to be different I made a start on the cocklepit.

Thanks for looking

Melchie

Started orf with a combination of AK Xtreme Metals AK488 Matte Aluminium as a chipping base, Mission Models MMP-059 U.S. Interior Green and AKs Worn Effects chipping fluid. These aircraft were operated, albeit for only a short time, from Britains gloriously muddy and rain-soaked airfields so it'll be weathered accordingly., 

1-AGD-0913-2.jpg

Firstly the central nose wheel-bay hump that protruded into the cockpit was dealt with , this was slightly forward of the seat so would have been scuffed easily by the pilots great big hob nailed boots.

1-AGD-0925-2.jpg

With the Quinta Studios 3D instruments applied the control stick and yoke were attached and the fabric gator painted tan and weathered using Abeilung502 ABT007 Raw Umber oil paints thinned with their Matt Effect Thinner. To add some life to the cockpit I applied enamel effects and pigments from AMMO MIG's  AMIG.7408 Europe Earth set fixed using AK-00048 Pigment Fixer. Following this a few light coats of MRP-126 Super Clear Semimatt clear coat were misted over the parts to seal in all the goodness.

4-AGD-0924-2.jpg

Next came the sidewalls decked out with the Quinta 3D parts. These make for a more realistic representation of the real thing than the two dimensional Eduard parts as the various switches, lumps and bumps are all there in glorious 3D. I think I'll be using these sets, where available, for most of my projects from now on. Following some light chipping the parts were washed using Abteilung's ABT Starship Filth and Raw Umber. Again, enamel effects and pigment were applied along with another clear coat.

2-AGD-0916-2.jpg

The cockpit floor in place. The fit as with everything else in the kit, was superb. Another light application of the effects/pigments were given to the mating areas to ensure uniformity.

2-AGD-0926-2.jpg

The instrument panel, I'd like to have used the Quinta or Brassin items but these were for the P-38F. The G version differed in the dial arrangement on the left hand side of the panel. The only choice was the Eduard pre-painted version which after a wash with Starship Filth and an application of Bondic UV 'glue' for the dial glazing came out quite nicely. I wasn't keen on the moulded rudder pedals with their solid lightening holes so removed and replaced them with the Eduard PE items which were suitably dirtied up.

3-AGD-0917-2.jpg

The sections ready for fitting. All parts went together seamlessly, makes a refreshing change from the usual models I tackle.

3-AGD-0931-2.jpg

Quinta's 3D seat straps were easy to use and bend to shape, once in place they were tacked into position using a few drops of Gorilla CA gel. The tub being a simple drop-fit into the upper fuselage means that the whole thing can be assembled quickly and easily. Good job Tamiya. I'll leave the radio pack and rack until a bit later. Next up the undercarriage bays.

4-AGD-0932-2.jpg

• Like 25

Looks real enough to sit down in  Nice work  

Thanks Stew, remember to use a nice anti-hemorrhoid cushion, that seat doesn't look too user friendly :analintruder:.

The cockpit is about wrapped up now so here it is in situ. One important thing to remember before gluing it into place is to paint the inner sills of the fuselage, easily overlooked and would be a pain to mask later.

1-AGD-0973.jpg

• Like 16

Well I'll be! Another 453rd thing. This is all rather exciting, and I'm not sure I can keep up with them all. Must get myself over to that American Air Museum in Britain site and take a peek.

Meanwhile this is an excellent start General. I especially like that cockpit.

I'd never really taken much notice of P38's, but this build and the one Crisp is building, are both opening my eyes to what a fascinating aircraft it is.

Lovely stuff!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, Terry, the site is well worth a visit, as I'm sure, is the museum. Like you I've never really had a look at the P-38 before this but I do remember seeing excellent flying displays at Biggin and Duxford many moons ago. From what I understand the aircraft was a mixture of vices and virtues and had mixed success in different arenas. We had big problems with it due to British fuel not working well through exhaust driven turbo-supercharged engines while in the Pacific, North Africa and Southern Europe it performed extremely well. By all accounts it certainly took some flying. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks chaps, Terry, the site is well worth a visit, as I'm sure, is the museum. Like you I've never really had a look at the P-38 before this but I do remember seeing excellent flying displays at Biggin and Duxford many moons ago. From what I understand the aircraft was a mixture of vices and virtues and had mixed success in different arenas. We had big problems with it due to British fuel not working well through exhaust driven turbo-supercharged engines while in the Pacific, North Africa and Southern Europe it performed extremely well. By all accounts it certainly took some flying. 

Oho !! One turn his attention for a few minutes and Bingo, cockpit is finished !!

Veriy cockpitery Dear General...

First time I saw the P-38 was in 1994, it was California Cutie from TFC

With the late hugh proudfoot at the helm... A great guy !!

Then she hsa been repainted as Happy Jack go buggy...

Until the crash at Duxford....

CC

• Like 1