Fw 190D-15 colours

Andy120

Andy, it would seem the D-15 is unlikely to have made it into production or squadron service so it is likely a whif scheme is all that is left to you, however, it would be possible to perhaps conjure up a probable scheme, as in this build on Hyperscale, perhaps a bit more out there are the schemes in the Planet models resin kit. I do quite like the JG27 1946 one myself.

Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy120 said:

I don't have the JaPo books

There are photos of a wreck, said to be a D-15, in one of the books.   Mine are not easily  too hand.  From memory it's a converted airframe, and fairly bland.  Does have the photos and a profile.

50 minutes ago, Super Aereo said:

Fw 190 D-9 W.Nr.601286, which was converted into the only D-15 prototype we know of.

I think is the one in the book?  

I don't know if there is anything in @Jerry Crandall books.

Various members here have the books,  so @tank152 and @SafetyDad spring to mind as possible candidates for info from JaPo

RV Resin did a conversion fuselage 

http://rvresin.sweb.cz/PLM48006.htm

with this image

http://rvresin.sweb.cz/FLV48006.jpg

(and not paying the joke prices demanded for them)

which is demand outstripping supply. 

Very niche items, but a real shame they have not been reprinted, but IIRC one of JaPo team is now dead.   There was a Vol.3 planned as well.  So it's only book dealers making money here.  

That said, the information in the books is jaw dropping in detail and research.   

• Like 1

Nothing in Crandall's books that I can see.

Richard Franks details it in his Airframe & Miniature No.3 Fw 190D and Ta 152 book; Fw 190 V77 (D-15 Prototype) W/Nr 210043* Stammkenzeichen TS+DQ. Colour & Markings - 'No images exist of this machine', which from the above may be wrong.

* W/Nw - which conflicts with what Super Aero said;

2 hours ago, Super Aereo said:

Fw 190 D-9 W.Nr.601286, which was converted into the only D-15 prototype we know of.

Not that I'm saying Super Aero is wrong!

Edit - History of War page on the Focke-Wulf Fw 190D attributes W/Nr 210043 to the D-14 prototype.

Interesting project, best of luck.

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 1

The JaPo book has three photos of a single D-15 prototype, but all just show pieces of a crashed and burned airframe. They came up with this profile; basic colors are 81, 82, 76, and bare metal.

One photo shows fragments of the serial which are inconclusive, but could correspond to 601286, which was a late Fieseler-built airframe known to have been shipped to Daimler-Benz. The characteristically larger Fieseler hakenkreuz is clearly seen in the shot.

D83-A55-DB-AE7-D-4951-89-A7-46-E689-BD0-

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, MDriskill said:

but could correspond to 601286, which was a Fieseler-built airframe

Just to clarify, the main point of the JaPo book is to analyse the various camouflage and markings applied by the various sub contractors, of which there were several.

By studying images and wreckage of these various batches from these sub contractors,  they usually show an overall consistent style in each case,  (like the Fieseler haukenkreuz) and a reasonable idea of a how a batch was marked is given, and extrapolate from that, eg, how the undersides were painted, they have profiles for 6 or 7 underside factory styles for example.

JaPo did a similar thing of analysing Bf109 production batches, and factory identifiers,  and the results are pretty consistent.  

• Like 3

And to further clarify my earlier note, Fieseler-built airframes can be quickly identified by a 60xxxx serial number, 530 mm tail hakenkreuz (other manufacturers were noticeably smaller), and 600 mm fuselage balkenkreuz (others were bigger). 

If 601286 is the correct serial, per JaPo it would have been built about March 1945. The scheme they've shown is extrapolated from other late Fieseler machines. 

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I missed all of this! Thanks @Troy Smith for the callout.

One further thing to add here - 81/82/76 is not the only option for colours. Late war 190Ds also used RLM 77 as one of their upper wing camo colours - see Blue 12 Wk Nr 500570 at Furth for one example. Admittedly not Fiesler built,

I'll have a further look today - I'm away from my references at the moment.

SD

• Like 1

Further to @MDriskill's very clear summary of the only airframe, here are the pictures of this

IMG_4634

IMG_4635

I normally give the source of pictures - this time I'm struggling a little with this as my Japanese is non-existent

They are from here - the Author is Hideki Noro and publication date was 2009. All pictures are for the purpose of study

IMG_4637

These are the same pictures as appear in the JaPo books (I've checked) - I suspect that Hideki Noro supplied these to JaPo as he gets a personal thanks in the intro of the JaPo volumes.

HTH

SD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5