1:1 Hummingbird - finished

In @bootneck‘s thread, @Paul821 made a comment about 1:1 scale modelling. Which reminded me that the only 1:1 models I have are the Airfix birds. Which reminded me that I had built a 2:1 paper model of a hummingbird for one of my nieces. Which reminded me that I hadn’t built the 1:1 one!

An artist named Johan Scherft has a website here that has paper model templates available for download; some are free. So I downloaded the 1:1 hummingbird at around 10pm this evening and started cutting:

3-C8-B8859-9-D5-B-4-BE3-B7-EF-0-B969-D9-

C1-B9-FC47-27-FB-409-E-B0-CB-792-A74081-

A0356685-D07-A-48-AA-BC5-F-BE52-EC73-C7-

466531-AC-DF6-E-40-C5-BF40-7-C6-AA3-AEDB

I couldn’t help starting assembly with PVA glue, and by midnight I’d finished:

2-EEB6447-FC09-4-AEE-A67-A-B29-DDB2-EF53

EF7-C77-AA-D24-B-472-E-AB42-596355-B3996

Great fun and a pleasant distraction from real modelling!

• Like 23

@AdrianMF you have perfected clickbait on this forum. The matched a couple of academic sites I use that keep telling me that my name is in a certain academic paper.

That notwithstanding this site is great find and you have made a great job of it.

Now we need a paper template for the snargasher. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I couldn’t help starting assembly with PVA glue, and by midnight I’d finished:

I think we've all been there!

The artwork on this is amazing, you must've put it through a pretty hefty printer?

Meanwhile, this is slaying the spreadsheet- I go to bed and by the next morning a build has started, and already finshed, along with another new 'manufacturer'

Oh and a new scale! I've entered it as USA, so I hope you're not going to tell me it's from a different contienent. Listed as a figure and pre 20th century- all I need know is a geneticist to say this is a modern evolution😍

Edited by Mjwomack
Killing the spreadsheet!
  • Like 1

Don't let my other half see this. She will be ordering seeds and nuts for it in a flash. It wouldn't be a problem, only it's me who actually feeds the birds every morning.

They have me very well trained.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

clickbait

Sorry Paul, you are responsible for this build happening in the first place!

4 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

That's beautiful, and the body pieces so well shaped!

56 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

A gorgeous looking bird, how well designed it is. 

It is indeed. The painting is so delicate, it's like finer than an Audubon illustration. I've downloaded a couple more, and may have another go at the Hummingbird taking a bit more time and care!

48 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

pretty hefty printer?

Meanwhile, this is slaying the spreadsheet

It's actually a Canon 5750 inkjet, so not particularly high end. Ironically, I have a Lexmark laser printer, mainly for work, sitting in the hall waiting to unpack. I bought it because the Canon wasn't printing very well. Ironically, ever since I bought it the Canon has behaved perfectly!

28 minutes ago, TonyW said:

it's me who actually feeds the birds every morning

I'm amazed at how fast they can rip through a 4kg bag of seed, off two feeders with six places. There's a resident pigeon who has pecked the ground underneath one of the feeders bare because of all the tiny seeds that fall out. I've also noticed that House Sparrows are back in force in London this year. They more or less disappeared in the early 2000s but there's cheeping everywhere around here now.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

They are great fun to watch. I’ve sen them in San Francisco and San Diego when I’ve been there.

They are indeed. They're very territorial and are ready to resort to blows defending their personal feeders! Here are some photos my wife took of a hummer defending a Hibiscus flower from an interloper--note the splayed tails.

Hummers feed on flower nectar or sugar water--4:1 volume ratio (1 quart of water to 1 cup of sugar). My wife goes through a little less than 2 quarts a day keeping the hummingbird feeders stocked.

Edited by dnl42
Fixed the water-sugar ratio
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

Don't let my other half see this. She will be ordering seeds and nuts for it in a flash. It wouldn't be a problem, only it's me who actually feeds the birds every morning.

They have me very well trained.

I´ve started filling up all the feeders in the evening, all to avoid getting out of bed too early... 😎

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm amazed at how fast they can rip through a 4kg bag of seed,

Pretty spectacular how much they can eat. We're getting all seeds and nuts in 10 or 15 kg sacks and still have to stock up quite often during the winter. But they are all so lovely to have around.

Today I was working from a customer's office with a good laser printer available, so I had to download this and print. The artwork is quite amazing, there´s a very skilled artist behind them. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

• AdrianMF changed the title to 1:1 Hummingbird - finished

Thats great!

Have you seen the 1:1 card models by Malcom Topp? 

They are incredibly well designed and make up in to very good models of the real thing in flight.

Google Malcolm Topp bird mobile. There are about 10 in the range.

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing!!!

The next one has to be a Marabout stork in 1:1 scale! Wings extended, of course.

That build was real fun!

Well done.

JR

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, AdrianMF said:

Super photos. You can’t exactly ask them to sit still for a picture!

You have to encourage them to visit the flower, as shown here. Part of the encouragement is to remove all the feeders in the area and sit with remote shutter in hand, waiting for them to grace the subject plant with a visit. Cultivated hibiscus are just starting to bloom here in southern Cali. Some other cultivated hibiscus are in the pots to the left of the cart; a hardy hibiscus is behind the cart. Many more of my wife's photos are on Flickr.

• Like 3