Going to give it a crack

Mulla

Hi All,

I was recently given an unused airbrush set from someone's garage ( cheapey from ebay that was bought and never used). after I had it I thought what am I going to do with this....?  so I thought i'd give it a crack on a model kit..  so here I am, looking that gift horse in the mouth, and going to try something I haven't done in 30 years..

maybe you could give me some advice right out of the gate...

i bought 3 1:72 airplane kits from different manufacturers to practice on and see if this might be worth pursuing...   which would you recommend i tackle first ?

Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.11c

Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb

I fully expect them to get chucked when i'm finished so went for what i hope  are simple kits to practice on..

• Like 1

Welcome !

Ive just started here myself, first plane model underway !  Its a good idea to start on the little 1/72 kits, just take your time and there look great !

Never built any of the above, so i cant help, but there usually all similar to build so Id save the best till last.   Practice first on the ones you dislike !

Only thing i would recommend, Tamiya extra thin cement...  So much better and cleaner than thick stuff out a tube !

Good Luck,   Martin !

:welcome: aboard Lee.  Good to have you here. :) Don't be too harsh on your first attempts, as there's a lot of rust to be removed from your skills ;)

thanks Lads, I fully expect to give the first models to the nephews to run around dogfighting with..  like we all did as kids.  I was thinking of doing all three at once, so the practice on each area will be more focussed…  crazy idea?

The Revell Hurricane IIC is probably the simplest of the 3 to build with pretty good fit

The Tamiya Spitfire V is a bit more complex but probably the best fitting of the kits

The Airfix Typhoon kit will benefit from careful test fitting of the parts which may need a bit of filing/sanding for a good fit.

There's builds of all of them on Britmodeller, but the site search function isn't great, best to use Google and search including Britmodeller eg "Britmodeller Tamiya Spitfire V"

A quick read through a couple of build threads will show up any gotcha's other modellers have found

Start a build thread in Work in Progress - Aircraft and I'm sure you'll get help and useful suggestions as you progress (though you do need a photo hosting site to post pictures, see below for useful tips on this)

Lastly, welcome, and remember, have fun!

• Like 1

Hello Mulla... :post1: from Chicago USA. As others have said don't be too harsh on yourself. Use them for what they are practice mules. Try a new skill with each one and your skill set will increase quicker than you expect. Afterwords don't throw them out use them as paint practice kits, later when your skills have improved you can re-do the three. 

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I'll echo what the others have said.  Looks pretty darned good for a beginner.  I can see we're all going to hate you before too long ;)