A321 Frontier Airlines "Otto the Owl" N701FR *FINISHED*

FortyEighter

I've not entered an airliner in a Group Build for well over a year, so time to make amends:

This will be the Zvezda A321 kit with RicWarcup decals and Bra.Z winglets to build N701FR "Otto the Owl".  Having relatives in Colorado, we have flown to / from Denver several times in recent years and I'm always drawn to have a walk around Concourse A and get photos of the Frontier aircraft that are on the gates.

Mike

• Like 5

And a start has been made:  windows glued inside fuselage, cockpit added to provide a base for some weight to be glued in and some supports for the two long fuselage seams.  These were water cut by a kind relative but I decided to use them as quadrants, the theory being that they should help to keep the two halves of the fuselage level along the seam and avoid excessive tidying up later.

The basic wing (less flaps and slats) is complete and a pair of engines.

20210418_095944

If you're not an airliner modeller, the cabin and cockpit windows will be smoothed and painted over before using Authentic Airliners window decals ie the clear plastic window strips are purely being used to plug the holes.

Mike

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Progress has been a bit slow as this is one of several models "on the bench" - some are in the photo below.

Fuselage smoothed and primed, wingtips attached and wing painted:

20210520_185549

Behind are another A321 and an A320 (fuselage still masked) which have been built at the same time and a 319 from a few years back which is now almost complete.

If the rain stops tomorrow, I'll get some Appliance White on Otto's fuselage and  start the decals next week.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Improved weather has seen the fuselage sprayed and a start on the decals

20210530_170107

I'm also using this spell of good weather to spray the other two Airbooses in above post - these will appear in RFI when finished.

• Like 7

Port side decals are now complete (and most of the starboard ones are in place):

20210602_154220

For some reason the aluminium leading edges look almost the same colour as the coroguard - it's a trick of the light!

Mike

• Like 7

That is an incredibly smooth and glossy finish!  :worthy:

I'm dumbfounded it comes from a rattle can. They blast out so much paint that I find them impossible to use. 😱

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That is an incredibly smooth and glossy finish!  :worthy:

I'm dumbfounded it comes from a rattle can. They blast out so much paint that I find them impossible to use. 😱

Thanks,

For some reason I just can't get a decent gloss finish with an airbrush but seem to have tamed the rattle can!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both sides are now decalled, so the next stage is to find (or mix) a shade of green for the engines which is a reasonable match for the "Frontier" logos.

First attempt using two different shades of Tamiya paint:

20210613_195449

Mike

• Like 6

Starboard decals are finished:

20210615_094349

and engines have been repainted in a mix of Tamiya X5 and Gunze H26.

In this view the colour match is acceptable BUT being laser decals the colour of the "Frontier" does change shade depending on how the light hits it.  Will give the engines another 24h before masking them to spray the pylons and hot sections.

Mike

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly two weeks down the line (and having been sidetracked by first a Blenheim and then a pair of Vipers) the engines are now finished:

20210627_154143

Tamiya X14 Sky Blue used for the rear rings, not an exact match but fairly close and if I use the same paints for any more Frontier aircraft they'll have a uniform appearance.  Decals for the pylons from a Revell A319 boxing and for the engine casings from Zvezda.

I now need to sit down with model and instructions and double check if there is anything else left to do.

Mike

• Like 7

• FortyEighter changed the title to A321 Frontier Airlines "Otto the Owl" N701FR *FINISHED*