Refurbished DAP Beaufort Mk.IX, `Beaufreighter' of 10 Comms Unit RAAF, Rabaul, 1945.

Hiya Folks,

Another refurbishment,...... I built this High Planes Beaufort Mk.IX, known as the Beaufreighter well over 20 years ago,.... but it was looking its age, was one of my first ever limited production kits and it was recently submerged in freeing cold water when my cellar was flooded,....... so it was about time it got some TLC,..... it started off like this;

DSCF0337.jpg

Was sanded to this;

DSCF0355-NEW.jpg

Then the filling, sanding, cleaning and painting began,... brush painting using Polly Scale RAAF Foliage Green ;

DSCF0362-NEW.jpg

here is the WIP if anybody is interested;

Here is the aircraft that I wished to restore the model as,...... A9-712, coded R of No 10 Communication Unit,  Lakunai Airstrip Rabaul in 1945, where it crashed on 21/11/45, It had Japanese writing under the wings which read "NIHON KOFOKU",..... which basically reads as ,......Sunrise Land Surrenders,.... or Japan has Surrendered,..... and it carried out leaflet drops over the surrounding jungle to try to convince Japanese troops that the war was over!

A9712.jpgbeaufort-surrender.jpg

Beaufort-A9-712-Rabaul-22.jpg

Beaufreighter-A9-712-R-10-L-A-S-U-Piva-c

Here it has underwing bomb racks fitted with `Storepedoes',.... supply containers; 

beaufort-A9-712-Japanese-characters-1.jp

At least one more Beaufort received the Japanese writing on the undersides,.... but this was a standard aircraft,.... note the turret;

img016a.jpg

Another Beaufreighter with standard underside markings;

2-ERS00491.jpg

And here is the refurbished model;

DSCF0470-NEW.jpg

DSCF0472-NEW.jpg

DSCF0473-NEW.jpg

DSCF0474-NEW.jpg

DSCF0476-NEW.jpg

DSCF0477-NEW.jpg

DSCF0479-NEW.jpg

DSCF0480-NEW.jpg

DSCF0468-NEW.jpg

DSCF0469-NEW.jpg

DSCF0484-NEW.jpg

DSCF0482-NEW.jpg

DSCF0483-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish - got to love an unusual Aussie subject!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger..... glad you like it mate. 

• Like 1

Great rescue of an unusual aircraft model.  Great work as usual Tony, I do like this scheme and like the roughed up edges of the white painted panels under the wings.you have captured the look very well  a cracking model 

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

What a "bring back"! 👍  Great result Tony; bet you're glad you did the work!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary,.... yeah I`m glad I did it now,..... plenty more to go at too,...... it is quite satisfying. 

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great rescue of an unusual aircraft model.  Great work as usual Tony, I do like this scheme and like the roughed up edges of the white painted panels under the wings.you have captured the look very well  a cracking model 

Chris

Cheers Chris and thanks for the encouragement along the way,... it means a lot! Glad you noticed the edges to the white and thanks,....  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Gary,.... yeah I`m glad I did it now,..... plenty more to go at too,...... it is quite satisfying. 

Cheers Chris and thanks for the encouragement along the way,... it means a lot! Glad you noticed the edges to the white and thanks,....  

No worries fella, it really does look the business. 

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

I can't see the pictures at the moment of any of your work mate, wonder if there's something wrong with the host site?

Possibly mate,..... try again tomorrow? 

Very nice restoring! I am considering a scratch conversion of new Airfix Beaufort into  such  "Beaufrighter" - so I am watching with particular interest in it...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very nice restoring! I am considering a scratch conversion of new Airfix Beaufort into  such  "Beaufrighter" - so I am watching with particular interest in it...

Regards

J-W

Thanks J-W,.... I believe that `Uncle Les' in Australia will be bringing out a Beaufreighter conversion mate. 

https://uncleles.net/

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1