Admiral/AZ Airspeed Oxford - any views?

Admiral Puff

I'm after a 1:72 kit of an Airspeed Oxford. It looks as though my choice is between the Admiral/AZ kit and the Tasman one. The Admiral/AZ kit seems to be a bit hard to come by (even Kingkit doesn't have one) but the alternative is apparently still readily available. However, it raises concerns - I've built Tasman stuff before, and although the end product is usually pretty accurate, the process of fighting with the plastic can be a bit fraught. I've not seen the Admiral/AZ kit, but know it's a limited run product and one of Admiral's first, which means that it may well have its own set of  "delights". What says the collective mind - should I keep looking, or settle for the Tasman kit? (I know there was a Frog one, but from memory it was pretty basic, and also seems a bit hard to find these days.)

• Like 1

I have both.  IIRC, the AZ kit is ex-Pavla which doesn't inspire confidence...

May be worth getting the Tasman one as once you've got it the other one will turn up. Build it a small bit at a time, rather than taking on the whole thing. That's the way I deal with the similar Ventura Spitfires.

The Frog Oxford came out in a Novo box and they shouldn't be that hard to find.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

I built the AZ kit when it was a puppy, and it was one of my first modern limited run kits at the time. I don't think it would pose any problems now but at the time I had trouble getting the canopy bit on neatly. I've built other Tasman kits, and I think if you can cope with this early AZ offering then you can certainly built the Tasman and vice versa.  Either will look a lot better than the Frog unless you spend just as much effort bringing it up to current standards.

Paul.