"Three, Two, One. Now!" -1:144 British Airways Concorde

"Three, Two, One. Now!"

-1:144 British Airways Concorde

51111919096_92c845b0aa_b.jpg

Hi everyone!

As a bit of a distraction over Easter, in amongst studying, I thought I would have a go at a Revell 1:144 Concorde.

My first encounter with the Revell tooling was a number of years ago, and whilst it built up quite nicely, there were plenty of areas where I felt I could do better. So this time around I brought along some extra "goodies" to help, namely the combined PE/resin set from Metallic Details, and the BraZ resin windscreen.

The PE fret was relatively straightforward to get to grips with and some of the detail on it is phenomenal. I did, however, have a bit of trouble with the engine nozzles, intake ramps and gear bays- but most of this is likely due to my own heavy-handedness. The resin engines and intakes were surprisingly fragile, however if you come equipped with a spot of your favourite filler/putty, you'll have no problem!

Not much can be said about the BraZ windscreen except that it fit right in and I would suggest it to be essential for any build of the Revell kit.

Painting was done with a base coat of Vallejo grey primer, then Halfords white primer and finally Halfords gloss white. It being my first time spraying white, I had my fair share of hiccups, but I think it turned out alright in the end?

Plenty of plasticard was used to build up the nose gear, main gears and tail wheel.

The base, by the way, is a sheet of foamboard masked, sprayed and brushed with a multitude of Vallejo paints to try and replicate Heathrow's runway 27 Right- I'm very happy with this!

Enough waffle, time for the pictures!

51111920571_7dda1f095e_b.jpg

51111830023_49140751db_b.jpg

51111669849_2f6a065529_b.jpg

51112703445_cb8be0b437_b.jpg

51111830858_4c2077665f_b.jpg

51111352737_a8825cefcf_b.jpg

51111353762_2f5e35d066_b.jpg

51111674129_6ccc1fbb99_b.jpg

51112706230_b800bb788c_b.jpg

51112700865_0718fe2ae2_b.jpg

51111668809_50c5b4d48e_b.jpg

51112700080_ea1a806123_b.jpg

51111828198_0ed629270d_b.jpg

So there we are then...

Overall, I have to say this was one of the most enjoyable builds that I've had a go at. The kit has presented its fair share of problems (see WIP thread), and yet the finished article doesn't look all that bad? I still have plenty of things that I would have done differently: not attempted to do rivets, left some of the nose aerials off, used (or made) decals for the nose windscreen windows, the nose is angled a bit too much I suspect, etc. But for now, that's this build done and dusted.

As always, thank you ever so much for having a look!

All the best (and see you on the next one),

Sam

51111918191_bb1b8caf70_b.jpg

• Like 34

Hi Sam,

Fantastic! One of the best Concorde models I've seen. And I love your base, well done!

I agree about the Bra.Z windscreen, for me it is an essential on the Revell Concorde too.

I don't think the nose is drooped too much it looks fine to me. Love the detail work on the nose gear. 

Looking forward to seeing more Airliners from you, what are you planning next?

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Sam,

Fantastic! One of the best Concorde models I've seen. And I love your base, well done!

I agree about the Bra.Z windscreen, for me it is an essential on the Revell Concorde too.

I don't think the nose is drooped too much it looks fine to me. Love the detail work on the nose gear. 

Looking forward to seeing more Airliners from you, what are you planning next?

Cheers,

Ian

That's very kind of you, thank you for that!

With exams coming up, I should probably put things on the back-burner slightly. But in terms of what's next, It's a toss-up between a 1:72 Eurofighter, 1:144 BA 747-400 (part-way through anyway, and a rather special build for me), 1:144 BA A380, a few 1:32 kits (Tornado/Typhoon), or even a certain pointy-nosed supersonic BA airliner.... in 1:72!

Bw,

Sam

That's fabulous!

I had to go back & check for the scale - looking very much like a 1/72 with all those fine details!

The fact it is 1/144 suggests you have the skills of a surgeon!

:clap::clap:

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Sam. Beautiful build, superbly displayed. I agree with Ian about the detail work on the nose wheel leg - it puts my own efforts to shame!

I've never been a huge Concorde fan but it certainly makes a spectacular model.  :goodjob:

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Thank you again for the kind comments 😊

8 hours ago, kapam said:

The fact it is 1/144 suggests you have the skills of a surgeon!

Ha, well... it sounds like I've chosen the right career then!

Although I can see the 1:72 build taking a few months, I'll certainly try my best- fully scratchbuilt interior, anyone??? 😁

All the best,

Sam