Panzer II Ausf D1 Bruckenlager

Hamden

Will start this project shortly after I finish the 1/24 Dodge Charger from the Fast & Furious film my daughter and son in law gave me for Christmas. 

The Panzer has been loft insulation for several years now so it's time it saw day light, I need to do some research before starting as the right up in the box say's it is portrayed in markings from the Polish campaign but I have read somewhere that the bridge conversions were not carried out until 1940 and there not many of them. Those that were used apparently with the 7th Panzer division in the French invasion so if anyone has any information I would be only to happy to hear about it.

Thanks for taking the time to look in, work starts soon

IMG-0575.jpg

Stay safe              Roger

• Like 7

Thanks for the link Matt @Mattlow and yes the box art is very similar/same as the picture and it is puzzling that it shows the Polish campaign markings which would date the photograph to 1939 but I can't find any reference to a Pz II with a bridge modification before 1940. I will keep looking for more information on this rare vehicle.

Stay safe            Roger

A huge great big wooden support frame, holding bridging gear, on top of a little panzer II, that should make for an interesting model :)

Matt

I just did some quick google searching - only three were made? does that sound right to you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

only three were made? does that sound right to you?

I read that four were with Rommel's 7th Armoured division but that is not set in stone, one thing for sure is that there was not many made.

10 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Is it possible that the tank took part in the Polish campaign and was then converted keeping the Polish campaign marking? I have no idea if that's even a possibility.

Matt

That is a possibility Matt the conversion was done by Magirus as stated in Wikipedia Panzer II variants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_II_variants)  but whether that included a repaint I don't know. 

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 1

OK calling the Charger done so it's time to open the box on the Pz II, so here are the pics: of the sprues

IMG-0001.jpg

IMG-0002.jpg

IMG-0003.jpg

IMG-0004.jpg

IMG-0005.jpg

The last pic: shows the individual track link sprues and those links are tiny!

And the last for today the lower hull has been put together and is awaiting the suspension once the tub has dried

IMG-0006.jpg

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to stop by

Stay safe              Roger

• Like 5

On 16/04/2021 at 07:43, Hamden said:

I read that four were with Rommel's 7th Armoured division but that is not set in stone, one thing for sure is that there was not many made.

That is a possibility Matt the conversion was done by Magirus as stated in Wikipedia Panzer II variants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_II_variants)  but whether that included a repaint I don't know. 

Stay safe         Roger

In an Osprey book it says that the Ausf.D had a different suspension system as it was an attempt to come up with a quicker tank. It seems a bit odd that they would develop a quicker tank and then slap a bridge on top of it. I'd go with the idea that it was converted after service in Poland, but not repainted. There's also a chance that's not a white cross at all - tanks-encylopedia.com has a picture of a line of them, and the text says "What looks like a white cross in the photo is a Yellow cross bordered in white. They were painted on the vehicles to prevention ‘friendly’ fire incidents due to the unusual silhouette of the Brükenleger II."

Toss a coin :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info: @Ned I know the Ausf D used the Christie suspension and that the hull was shorter and wider, the idea as I understand it was to improve speed across country and mobility as well. I think also that it had a more powerful engine fitted as it was intended for the recon: role but was a failure!

What you say about the cross being yellow makes sense as the 7th Armoured division marking was also in yellow 

Which Osprey book do you have?

Stay safe                Roger

34 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Very interesting vehicle. I'll follow along if you don't mind.

Vytautas

Feel free to take seat, thanks for the interest

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Thanks for the info: @Ned I know the Ausf D used the Christie suspension and that the hull was shorter and wider, the idea as I understand it was to improve speed across country and mobility as well. I think also that it had a more powerful engine fitted as it was intended for the recon: role but was a failure!

What you say about the cross being yellow makes sense as the 7th Armoured division marking was also in yellow 

Which Osprey book do you have?

Stay safe                Roger

The Osprey book in 'German Light Panzers 1932-42'. It's not the best, it tries to cover a bit too much (Panzer I, Panzer II, 38(t)).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ned said:

I'll be following as well. I like these little oddities. Everyone knows about the Churchill bridgelayer, but the Germans had them too.

Feel free to take a seat you are most welcome and thanks again for the info:

Stay safe        Roger

Feel free to take a seat John @Bullbasket I have not seen one of these built before which is part of the attraction of this one even if info: is scarce.

If you ever discover the other build I would be interested to see it if possible

• Like 1

Small mid week update, the suspension units have been fitted, the idlers have been left loose to assist with track fitting later. The gearbox/steering unit cover has been added as well as the turret mounting plate, the exhaust box has been added together with the towing eye. The intake grills (P.E.) have been added to one side of the engine cover just got to do the other side when my eyes have recovered from the first side.

IMG-0007.jpg

IMG-0008.jpg

IMG-0009.jpg

IMG-0010.jpg

IMG-0012.jpg

IMG-0013.jpg

Thanks for stopping by your time is very much appreciated

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 8

Thanks for the likes, very much appreciated.

Small update on this one, small detail fittings on the hull added together with the track guards, all three parts of the upper hull have been attached to the lower hull.

IMG-0014.jpg

IMG-0015.jpg

IMG-0016.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look in

• Like 7

Thanks for the likes, I really do appreciate your time looking in.

Well a little more has been done and the hull has been primed and turned grey, the drive sprockets have been assembled and fitted to the hull followed by the road wheels these being in six parts, two tyres, two wheels, one retaining collar and a bearing cap for each station. Before adding the running gear a thin splattering of light mud textured paint was applied around the suspension units as well as the under side of the track guards and hull side behind the road wheels. The exhaust heat shield has also been added to the rear of the hull covering the exhaust silencer.

Here are latest progress pictures

IMG-0017.jpg

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0020.jpg

IMG-0019.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your projects are proceeding well

Stay safe                    Roger

• Like 7

Good progress. Like the realism of areas left in primer along the running gear. The start of the weathering above and behind the road-wheels looks good too.  :goodjob: so far.

looking forward to the next instalment.

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2021 at 20:30, vytautas said:

Nice job! 
These little German tanks look very nice and very fun to make (and they look very ridiculous next to something big like Jagdtiger). I really like them

I'm only building little 'uns because I like them so much more. I've set Panzer III as my limit. I can enjoy seeing others build Tigers, but they're not for me.

• Like 2

Are you teasing us by not building the bridge yet, Hamden? Saving it till last...

I like the wheels though. Separate tyres would be good to paint with my shaky hands :) 

Edited by Ned
Separate/seperate always get it wrong!
  • Like 1