Figure painting book

jeff72

There's an AK Interactive book (called "Flesh & Skin"), I think I paid about 10 quid for it, from Hannants. Not a huge book at 84 pages, A5-sized and softcovers, but it will tell you EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about effective figure painting.

Hope this helps.

Chris.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

There's an AK Interactive book (called "Flesh & Skin"), I think I paid about 10 quid for it, from Hannants. Not a huge book at 84 pages, A5-sized and softcovers, but it will tell you EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about effective figure painting.

Hope this helps.

Chris.   

I’ve just looked at that book on eBay. The first seller that came up had scanned 5 pages and it looks amazing. It was written in Spanish so I couldn’t read it, but the step by step picture guide looks awesome.

I love Vallejo!

Mr Black Publications has done an entire series on figure painting and all its aspects Scale Model Handbook Figure Painting. Currently now at volume 25. Excellent books and I can highly recommend them. Also by Mr. Black Publications is Scale Model Handbook Miniature Modelling Techniques currently only at volume one, but it deals with painting a bust with a very in depth step by step on painting the face.

• Like 1

I was just going to ask a similar question I so hope you don't mind if I tag on here?

Has anyone got the monster AK Interactive FAQ on figures

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/faq-scale-figures-book-ak-interactive-ak630/

Massive book and suitably massive price. I was just wondering if it was mostly for 1/10-ish scale busts, or if it was worthwhile for 24th and 35th scale too.

On 13/04/2021 at 08:58, Crayons said:

Mr Black Publications has done an entire series on figure painting and all its aspects Scale Model Handbook Figure Painting. Currently now at volume 25. Excellent books and I can highly recommend them. Also by Mr. Black Publications is Scale Model Handbook Miniature Modelling Techniques currently only at volume one, but it deals with painting a bust with a very in depth step by step on painting the face.

This.👍

Hornet Models make lots of heads.

Perhaps it would be worth buying a pack or two to practise on?

There is worthwhile advice available that you could put into action without splashing out on the whole figure.

Historex sell them.

• Like 1

@jeff72 On a similar vein to @Big Dave S comments, above. Should you want to try something a little larger as 'Hornet' are 54mm there's Mitches Miltary Models.

They quite often have reject resin cast heads for sale, last one's I bought were something like £1 each, and as practice pieces these are ideal.

Pot luck what's in the box, might be modern or ancients or W.W.II but they produce from 75mm up to 200mm so.....

Better still, if you use acrylics, over an undercoat, as if you don't like the finish you wash off and start over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

I was just going to ask a similar question I so hope you don't mind if I tag on here?

Has anyone got the monster AK Interactive FAQ on figures

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/faq-scale-figures-book-ak-interactive-ak630/

Massive book and suitably massive price. I was just wondering if it was mostly for 1/10-ish scale busts, or if it was worthwhile for 24th and 35th scale too.

Yes, best book on painting anything I own.  Can translate the skills across all genres.  Check this review out -

Review

I have just bought this and the ‘wheels and tracks’ book - both are excellent.

One thing I would say about the faces book is that most of the examples are for large scale figures and busts - there is one small section (6 pages) for 1:35 which is what I’m interested in.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 4/13/2021 at 6:25 AM, The Great Escape said:

I’ve just looked at that book on eBay. The first seller that came up had scanned 5 pages and it looks amazing. It was written in Spanish so I couldn’t read it, but the step by step picture guide looks awesome.

I love Vallejo!

There is an english version of it;

https://www.bookworldws.co.uk/product/flesh-skin/

And this one is also very good, but a printed version of the same tutorial available on line;

https://www.bookworldws.co.uk/product/scale-model-handbook-miniature-modelling-techniques-painting-guide-1/