Shipping Troops

rafalbert

This is one I wanted to build as a kid but it was quite expensive for my pocket money savings at the time and there were always more interesting combat aircraft which I ended up buying. I loved the displays they carried out in the 80's, basically flinging an airliner about the sky which seemed amazing at the time (the C-27 and "Super Hercules" displays have surpassed them now). Anyway, the kit is the old Airfix F27 which was re-released in 2006ish with civil markings but I have managed to get hold of the Troopship decals in order to do the RNAF version (hence the rather poor thread title). I know there are many shortcomings with the kit and that there are more comprehensive decal sets available but I am becoming nostalgic in my old age. I will address the tail fillet but will leave the rest of the kit as is.

Dave

IMG_20210412_092802

• Like 12

Almost forgotten about this kit - I actually built it when it first came out in Aer Lingus markings to go with my Silver City DC3 and Bristol Superfreighter. Other than that I cannot remember much about it, so I expect it did not last too long. Was it really 60 years ago!

Pete

I built this boxing (in the cover art scheme) only two or three years ago, it was a delightful kit to build. The only bit that needed work was the nose. It was only after I had built it that I found out about the tail fillet, and a few other things. The wing/fuselage join was the best I have ever encountered!

Looking forward to this one.

Ray

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have made a slow start on this, filling in the extra window and fitting the cockpit (not the instrument panel yet though). I should have more time now I have ruined my Nimrod for the Gulf War GB 🤦🏼‍♂️

IMG_20210515_110736

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage all sealed up with the fillet extension made with plastic card. I need to build it up with filler and rub it all smooth before adding the wings, tailplane and nose.

IMG_20210528_171524

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have been working away on this for a while without any updates but she is finally taking shape. The fit has not been the best and a lot of filler has been applied and rubbed down, but it is to be expected for such an old mould kit. The windscreen was quite badly distorted so I had to use superglue to fix it and typically it is not seated correctly. Such is life, I will have to live with it. I have given her a coat of primer to highlight a couple of areas to address before I can start to apply the paint.

IMG_20210723_190823

• Like 6

Looking great. I remember the airshows of the 1980's with the RNAF Friendships traikling smoke, 10' off the run way on one engine.

Happy days, taken for granted at the time.

Colin