Fokker A.I/II/III

leyreynolds

I'm looking for drawings for one or all of these aircraft types. I know there is an Aeronaut title on early Fokkers but before I outlay the substantial sum for this book, I need to see if a conversion in 1/72 is feasible. Any help will be much appreciated.

Profile #38, Fokker Monoplanes, has plenty of info too and Squadron Signals's #1158, Eindecker in action, has many clear drawings (below).

Those say:

A.I = M.8 two-seater (also stated by Engels' Fokker und seine Flugzeuge);

A.II = M.5L = E.I without MG, longer span wing, different wingtips, and taller support post;

A.III = M.5K = E.I without MG.

Other possible differences between A and E, like headrest and cutouts, don't seem to have been a type-difference, but production line or field modifications.

Of course the E.I isn't like the E.II and E.III at all, so for an A.III you'll need to use an E.I.

For the longer winged A.II, I suppose the best fit is the fuselage of the E.I plus the longer wing of the E.III shortened a bit: shortening seems easier than lengthening, plus the A.II and E.III seem to have had the same kind of wingtips.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the Squadron/Signal Eindekker drawings are irremmedially flawed.

I second the recommendation to get Josef Scott's 'Fokker Compendium, vol. I' for drawings of the Fokker A-types.

Some years ago I contrived a Fokker A.II from two 1/72 Eduard E.III kits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is not too difficult --- shorten the fuselage  by about 4mm  taken right behind the cockpit, extend the wing panels by two full rib spaces (combining wing pieces from both kits). That's the gist of it, though there are other details needed.

The A.I is something else --- its fuselage differed a good deal, being wide enough to seat the crew side by side, among other things.