Airfix Bristol Bulldog RAAF

Good evening,

This is my build of the Airfix Bristol Bulldog put as an RAAF version, seeing that it is the centenary of the RAAF! It is a great kit but has its issues such as the propeller is completely wrong and needs replacing in this case Kora do a resin propeller or you might get one from the spares box? The decals came from Model Alliance and weren't the best but they were thick and malleable!! I added a Yahu replacement instrument panel, a new seat (poto etched) from the spares box.

8wqUTOs.png

This is the Red Roo cover but the same aircraft markings as per Model Alliance decals...

BTitkPD.jpg

The kit propeller

us3YAm4.jpg

The replacement resin prop:

h6ci0ji.jpg

The RAAF variants had this addition...

fMZKvNu.jpg

plus this

Lanb4go.jpg

k2bGlVk.jpg

04I4mNj.jpg

I have since varnished the prop,,

QlxcEkk.jpg

I used Bare Metal Foil for the nose section...

iHHxJbS.jpg

The decals for the rudder didn't work out (my fault) so I painted them..

Jjl4kwF.jpg

And lost the port side light!

It is still a lovely kit with some elbow grease around the three engine parts needed as there are some pretty horrid gaps, but the wings line up quite well! I also based the Nivo on some local reference and not the usual green you see this kit painted incorrectly with.... there that should start a conversation!

Regards

Simon

Edited by Slywolff
more info
  • Like 29

Looks a great job.

Could have done with a few wide shots of the finished model though. 

I have this kit to finish as a Spanish Republican one sometime in the future.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

Nice build. Is the propellor wrong for just RAAF Bulldogs, or all of them?

Thank you. The propeller is just completely  wrong for all Bulldogs, for starters the blades are the wrong way round, in my opinion it’s not really fixable (I tried) the Kora ones are pretty good and not that expensive. 

• Like 1

The very close-up shots make it look rougher than it probably is in real life.

Are you saying the Red Roo decals are thick? I have some to use and they look okay to me.

What is the thing circled in red? Do only RAAF ones have the thing circled in black - are they lights?

Looks like a good effort on an old kit.

Edited by Tom R

10 hours ago, Slywolff said:

Thank you. The propeller is just completely  wrong for all Bulldogs, for starters the blades are the wrong way round, in my opinion it’s not really fixable (I tried) the Kora ones are pretty good and not that expensive. 

I filled the front side with Humbrol putty, then profiled the front and back sides.

It worked out ok

Bristol%20Bulldog%20IIa%2C%2023%20sqd%2C

• Like 2

Nice model Simon but I concur with the others that a few pictures showing the whole thing would have been good.

There are pictures of different Bulldog spinner configurations and the Airfix propeller just needs a bit of clean-up and the cap filled out to a cone to be correct for a RAAF machine.

If you have an original reference for the green colour please share it with us. Every profile has a different colour, probably based on no evidence at all - so what's new?

The only picture I can see with the bulldog badge is A12-3 but there may be others at different times.

@Tom R

The thing circled in black is one of the nav lights - @Slywolff seems to have knocked the other one off! The nav lights were a later fitting so a model without them is not incorrect.

The thing circled in red looks like a starter handle.

I think these are the Model Alliance decals, not Red Roo ones.  The RR ones are OOP but fine to use if you have them.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:48 PM, Tom R said:

The very close-up shots make it look rougher than it probably is in real life.

Are you saying the Red Roo decals are thick? I have some to use and they look okay to me.

What is the thing circled in red? Do only RAAF ones have the thing circled in black - are they lights?

Looks like a good effort on an old kit.

Hi Tom,

Thank you, sorry for the confusion, I used the Model Alliance RAAF Bulldog decals which I felt were a bit thick.. (I used the Red Roo illustration only to show the scheme) I can't vouch for the Red Roo decals but I suspect they may be better but I couldn't get hold of any!! I suspect they may be out of production. No I believe all Bulldogs had the formation lights, my point was I lost two of these to the carpet monster and had to scratch build the replacement very - very carefully!!!

On 6/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, Ed Russell said:

Nice model Simon but I concur with the others that a few pictures showing the whole thing would have been good.

There are pictures of different Bulldog spinner configurations and the Airfix propeller just needs a bit of clean-up and the cap filled out to a cone to be correct for a RAAF machine.

If you have an original reference for the green colour please share it with us. Every profile has a different colour, probably based on no evidence at all - so what's new?

The only picture I can see with the bulldog badge is A12-3 but there may be others at different times.

@Tom R

The thing circled in black is one of the nav lights - @Slywolff seems to have knocked the other one off! The nav lights were a later fitting so a model without them is not incorrect.

The thing circled in red looks like a starter handle.

I think these are the Model Alliance decals, not Red Roo ones.  The RR ones are OOP but fine to use if you have them.

Hi Ed,

Fair enough I shall do some photos showing the whole model and post them up. I used the Ian K Baker Reference for the Bulldog as he had a Nivo colour sample, well his interpretation of it... I tend to think it was not a green as shown on the RAF Museum example or anywhere else.... just my humble opinion based on no evidence at all bar the Ian K Baker information. :-) I recall Pentland thought it was black. As for the red circled item no it is no starter handle and I did post a question on Hyperscale about it and I guy came back with an answer on what he thought it was... now I just need to find that response to recall what it was.... I do say I used the Model Alliance decals just I used the Red Roo illustration for reference.

Simon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slywolff said:

As for the red circled item

Looking at it more closely it seems to be connected to the exhaust so some sort of heating system. A bit odd to have a different sort of heating for Australia of all places. there is another tube exiting on the other side - heat exhaust? I would go along with Nivo as the top decking. It's often quoted as 34096 so any of the Xtracolor X20, Humbrol 75 or 224 or Model Master Dark Green I have would be okay. Yes, do post some more - it's a nice model.

21 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Looking at it more closely it seems to be connected to the exhaust so some sort of heating system. A bit odd to have a different sort of heating for Australia of all places. there is another tube exiting on the other side - heat exhaust? I would go along with Nivo as the top decking. It's often quoted as 34096 so any of the Xtracolor X20, Humbrol 75 or 224 or Model Master Dark Green I have would be okay. Yes, do post some more - it's a nice model.

Hi Ed

I found my original post on Hyperscale and this was the response I got from one person....

'Probably carburetor heat.  Ice can develop in the carburetor venturi if the humidity levels are right. Warmed air from a heat shroud around exhaust piping (not exhaust) is used to introduce warmer air into the carburetor.

The tube sticking out of the port side would be the exit for the heat/exhaust.'

Photos to follow.... 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...