'Fort' Type 1959/34 watchtower

PoPmodeller

Hello, I'm building a Diorama of RAF Benson c1943 and I'm looking for advice on scratch building a Fort type watch tower. Has anyone attempted to make a 1/72 scale replica, perhaps there are plans around that can be scaled from? What are the best techniques for creating the large windows?

I would appreciate any advice and guidance.

Martin

My model built from a plan I drew after recording such a Watch office at Bircham Newton

RAF-Grimsby-history-007.jpg

Large ground floor windows 

RAF-Grimsby-history-012.jpg

and Control room at the top

RAF-Grimsby-history-013.jpg

I just loved the spiral staircase that ran up the middle of this building  . . . :thumbsup:

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 6

On 4/13/2021 at 10:08 PM, Mancunian airman said:

My model drawn from a plan I drew after recording such a Watch office at Bircham Newton

RAF-Grimsby-history-007.jpg

Large ground floor windows 

RAF-Grimsby-history-012.jpg

and Control room at the top

RAF-Grimsby-history-013.jpg

I just loved the spiral staircase that ran up the middle of this building  . . . :thumbsup:

Ian

Boy does this take me back! We had one of these at RAF Wattisham in the late 1980's which was the standby tower. Spent sometime time in there, as an AATC, during station exercises.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I started building one in card one in 1/48, a watch tower base with a later control tower top.  For the windows I used a photo of a real tower & put the printed windows recessed in the apertures as I was only really interested in the top!

XAyCy2u.jpg

My general meanderings are on the thread in the link below

don’t forget the old Airfix kit in 1/72 and the laser cut ones on ebay

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2021 at 9:47 AM, PoPmodeller said:

Hello, I'm building a Diorama of RAF Benson c1943 and I'm looking for advice on scratch building a Fort type watch tower. Has anyone attempted to make a 1/72 scale replica, perhaps there are plans around that can be scaled from? What are the best techniques for creating the large windows?

I would appreciate any advice and guidance.

Martin

How did you get on with this  Martin ??

Hello,

Yes, I've been busy over the last 2 years, punctuated by Covid and its aftermath!

Your plans were very helpful and the main structure is basically finished. I have been in contact with the base historian and the images he lent me indicate that the tower was never painted, so I have left it brick using Scalescenes paper - what a brilliant resource. I have detailed the spiral staircase - what a job that was, and did a bit of fictional embellishments in the main room using rescaled photos of maps and plane recognition posters off the internet.

The devil is in the detail - contemporary photos show some climbing foliage on the top part of the tower, so my next job is to see whether I can make a passable rendition of climbing ivy! I also want to build the fire tender shed next for my Crossley fire truck.

There is still a lot more to do to complete the diorama, the final positions of buildings and planes etc and the backdrop. I have a small motor in the Spitfire so I hope to suspend it using acrylic rods to depict the take off of EN343 to photograph the dams after Operation Chastise – with a spinning prop!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192966903@N02/albums/72177720306999416

Did you find the photos I took of RAF Bicester useful?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192966903@N02/albums/72157719604436638

Regards

Martin

The Bicester airfield is now a heritage centre and I'm pretty sure that the tractor will be saved. You can arrange a visit outside normal opening days - well worth a mooch around as there are plenty of interesting WW1 and WW2 buildings still in good repair. I understand that the first Halifax was broken down and shipped to Bicester for it's maiden flight, although as it never had concrete runways it was never used for the heavies.