1/32 Airfix Jag 420 ++Finished++

CliffB

On 7/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

Tom Karen’s excellent autobiography

I had also never heard of Tom Karen but I'll look out for his Autobiography as well. According to Wiki he sounds like a very interesting fellow.

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks great Cliff

Gunmetal grey in a classy choice, might I suggest dark red for the interior, your choice obviously  !

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat.

You're obviously a mind reader, as I'd already decided to base my model on this real life example (complete with a dark red interior :coolio:).

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to get some paint on now.

P1120483.JPG

The gunmetal grey test-shot on the bonnet is actually a 'faulty' bottle of Alclad Steel, which for some reason is much lighter than it usually is.  This suits by purposes perfectly :).  I've then added a couple of coats of Klear as a clear-coat.

The upholstery is Humbrol 73 with a satin top coat.  I've used the same colour for the carpets, but matt.

Cheers

• Like 8

Cracking book about

On 7/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, Colin W said:

Tom Karen

What  guy,

Good read but only half way through so far. Looking forward to the finished Jag.

• Like 1

Things are starting to come together now, with the floor pan assembly now essentially complete.  I've just got the hub caps to add, once I've done the chrome-work.

P1120484.JPG

P1120485.JPG

P1120486.JPG

As I've mentioned before, I'm building OOB with no attempt to add/paint extra detail. 

There's not much more to do now, just the bodywork, chrome and clear parts.  The latter are so poor in my kit, that I may show the side windows wound down ;).

Cheers

• Like 8

The first few coats of Alclad threw up some imperfections on one side of the body, so some further sanding/polishing was required.

P1120488.JPG

I'm now happy with the overall finish and am letting it cure before putting the clear coats on.

P1120490.JPG

Cheers

• Like 9

I've been wrestling with the glazing and I'm 75% satisfied with the results.

The good news is that sanding and polishing removed the bottle-glass effects from the side windows.

The bad news is that the front and rear screens still look a bit cloudy and their poor fit has forced me to camouflage the gaps by painting over-sized windscreen rubbers.  When you focus on them, they look rubbish, but when viewing the car as a whole they don't look so bad.

P1120497.JPG

P1120498.JPG

I've painted the rubbers using Tamiya Rubber Black.  I may try over-painting them usin NATO Black, which is less intense.

The rubbers should have chrome inserts, but mine won't ;).  Likewise, there should be a lot of chromework surrounding the side windows, but I'm worried that this would just serve to highlight the poor quality of the moulding in these areas.  At least the door handles will be chromed!

Cheers

• Like 5

Finished at last!

P1120511.JPG

P1120512.JPG

Overall, I'm pleased with the result but the poor glazing still grates.  I must try harder next time ;).

There are two more faults to admit to as well:

• despite my best efforts, I ended up abandoning the working bonnet hinges
  • I made a schoolboy error when printing off the number plates - there shouldn't be a gap between the '762' and the 'F'!

Thanks to all of you who have supported this build and to @Brad for hosting the GB :cheers:

Off now to do battle with a 'Less than a Tenner' Silver Ghost.....

Cheers

• Like 12

• CliffB changed the title to 1/32 Airfix Jag 420 ++Finished++

That has turned out a cracking little car. I am looking forward to the re-issue, and it will be interesting to see if the glazing has improved or not. Great work!

Ray

• Thanks 1

That looks superb old fruit :speak_cool: :thumbsup: :goodjob: .It would be a good experiment to see some closer photos in natural light with a real background,with a bit of care it would be difficult to distinguish between yours and the real thing.

• Thanks 1