Hasegawa Hawker Typhoon 1b - 1/48

Hi all - here's my recently completed Typhoon in 1/48. 

WWrzn0G.jpg

OiOgcol.jpg

Lo8OCOF.jpg

owcNiBC.jpg

rs2hOSi.jpg

Cn2Qsb2.jpg

XzKldiX.jpg

0sc71WP.jpg

rYmuKeU.jpg

XAW4o6Q.jpg

The kit from Hasegawa is quite good despite it's age (1999) - though the fuselage inserts (allowing either car door or tear drop variants) are a pain to deal with - much sanding and rescribing is required to make the seams disappear. You also get large gaps at the top which require alot work to deal to. Big gaps in the wing roots too!

Out side of those problems - the fit is actually pretty good. Eduard reboxed this kit and the fact that this is still probably the best kit in this scale, means that there is a truckload of after market available - so you can really spruce it up if you feel inclined. Speaking of aftermarket... I used: 

Resin 4 prop spinner from Ultra Cast

Eduard Resin Wheels

Resin exhaust stacks from Quickboost

Resin seat from Quickboost

PE interior details from Eduard

Metal gun barrels from Master Models

Montex Masking set for the markings and canopy 

All of the after market was pretty good - guns were tricky to install but look so much nicer (imho) than the kit versions. The Prop from Ultracast was top notch - perfect shape and v little clean up was required. The montex masks were quite nice - first time using masks for insignia so was fairly pleased with how they came out - the canopy masks left a sticky residue on the glass which I wasn't able to fully remove so will think twice about using these again. 

I added some scratch built details in the wheel bays, behind the cockpit, added some rivet details here and there, fuses on the rockets - stretched sprue for the antennae. 

Painted with Mr Color lacquers except for the Dark Green which was AK Real Color Dark Green which I thought is a nicer version than Mr Colors. Most of the weathering is oils with some enamel  washes from Ammo and AK. 

I really enjoyed this build overall - I love the Typhoon and had great fun painting and weathering the hell out of it. It would be great if Eduard or Tamiya released a new version but I'll make do with the Eduard Tempest that's sitting in the stash. 

Thanks for looking - Cheers

John

• Like 56
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Superb build and excellent photography, with hardly any shadow. Did you use a light box?

John.

Thanks John - I did indeed use a lightbox - nothing fancy, just some foam board taped together with some led work lights. It’s not amazing but definitely better than nothing at all 👍

• Thanks 1

A fabulous finish.

I'd like to build a 1/48 Typhoon myself but there don't appear to be any available in the UK.

It's looking like I'll have to chance a post-brexit import.

• Like 1

Wow!   That is one very impressive Typhoon mate. :clap2:  Some incredible model building skills on display with this one John!   Your model makes my old Monogram Typhoon look like a push toy that spews sparks across the floor.   Very inspiring model sir!  :worthy:

• Like 1

Very nice model! Weathering, especially chipping, is superb. Well done! 

The only thing that bothers me is the intensity of panel line shading on the top of the engine cowl as well as the strong contrast of panel line washes in the front of the fuselage. Somehow it turned a bit too strong, or maybe it's the lighting. 

Just my opinion and taste though, and does not diminish the beauty of the model in any way. 

Again, great work. 

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments guys 😊

On 4/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, Andrés S. said:

Excellent work in all aspects. I really like your models.

Andrés S.

Thanks Andres - I really like your stuff too 😎

On 4/14/2021 at 10:41 PM, Nikola Topalov said:

The only thing that bothers me is the intensity of panel line shading on the top of the engine cowl as well as the strong contrast of panel line washes in the front of the fuselage. Somehow it turned a bit too strong, or maybe it's the lighting. 

Thanks for your comments Nikola. The photos are overexposed- which I typically do so all the subtle variations in the paint work are visible- so it’s not as extreme in real life. That said, I did purposely weather the cowling to reflect a passage I read in the book ‘The big show’ by renowned tempest pilot Pierre Clostermann - he described flying the typhoon where oil poured out of every orifice and from every rivet on the cowling - the canopy had a film of oil on it all the time - sometimes getting so bad it seriously reduced visibility. So that was my rational. I wanted to show a very well used and filthy bird.  I’m happy with how it looks but understand it might be a little much for some. 

• Like 2

This is a stunning model, it really does capture the wonderful brutish look of the awesome machines that must have caused so much fear and anguish to the enemy troops.   

I love the paint and weathering finish you have achieved and really like the effects on the recognition stripes.

Really great work. 

Chris

• Like 1