1962 Cavalier Mustang Executive plane

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everybody... Well Im a fan of non-warbird Mustangs always have been. So Im going to modify and repaint the great airfix kit into an high speed executive personal plane. In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s there were several companies modifying war surplus aircraft. They were modified to be used as executive or personal aircraft. Some like the P-51 were used as high speed point to point single passenger aircraft by executives. Ive added a couple of links to give you an idea. 

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/who/case/227

Scroll down to the second photo. 

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4511633.html

Some used the drop tank mounts to carry baggage pods others used the gun bays. I plan on using the gun bays for extra fuel as I will be reducing the size of the fuselage tank. I may or may not have a baggage pod. I will post the sprue shots later. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

Hello everyone... So Ive found this description from the Wiki Cavalier Mustang page.
zhtCKWK.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier_Mustang

There is a good description of the different types of mods done to these aircraft. Im planning on the gun bay fuel tanks, possibly wing tanks, and a baggage door added behind the second seat. I have changed the dates so this becomes a Cavalier Mustang. 

Ok so here we go with the required sprue shots. IPabwQb.jpg

dEdDFaE.jpg

Even get a bit of my sausage finger in the shot. ⬆️J7Ps1XK.jpg 

So if there are any questions please ask, or if you need to please post comments. 

Dennis

P.S. - If anyone has any ideas for colors I’m open to suggestions. 

• Like 8

Good morning everyone ... As Good as it can be with the Funeral today. :poppy: I spent a good chink of the night working on this. Now I did photograph the interior before installing it, but somehow lost the photo’s ? So had to take the interior shits from outside. 
2gHmlSC.jpg

sYFuPB4.jpg

paMOsSi.jpg

Not the best second seat but from what can be seen it will do. I found a set of F-80 tanks which is what Cavalier based there wing-tip tanks on. 7JQlyqx.jpg

Next up I clipped the wing tips and tail feathers in preparation of adding the tanks and tall tail. XPkOhTw.jpg

Pw9RatF.jpg

mDh8OB4.jpg

It still needs some more shaping but the glue needs to set-up more. I’ve started to grind away the panel lines on the top and bottom of the wings. Awg8Aqg.jpg

JTolk4h.jpg

Once that was done I got the tanks to a smooth state and pinned them. A4g5AV8.jpg

Ive gone and adjusted the ailerons and glued the tanks on to the wings. qUyevY4.jpg

If anyone has any ideas for a color scheme please feel free to post them. Please also feel free to ask questions or comment.

Dennis

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

You build faster than I read instructions! I like the Mustang (but who doesn't?) and I'm especially happy to see a somewhat different one.

Cheers.

Pat.

Thank you, It helps when you're Medically retired aka disabled and have loads of time to do research and build. Ive been a fan of the concept and style of these mustangs for years Id like to do another in 1/48 someday to get better detail in the office. 

This is a great little kit, Dennis, and that's good progress already on a good idea. Colour scheme wise the field is wide open..... Do you want historical accuracy or are you up for imaginative schemes? 

That pea-green example looked OK I guess, though probably not the one I'd choose. 

Hmmmmm.... Keep looking 👍😎

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is a great little kit, Dennis, and that's good progress already on a good idea. Colour scheme wise the field is wide open..... Do you want historical accuracy or are you up for imaginative schemes? 

That pea-green example looked OK I guess, though probably not the one I'd choose. 

Hmmmmm.... Keep looking 👍😎

Thanks Rob ... Historical style but maybe different colors ? Somehow bright Red with black, white, and copper trim is where my head is at right now ? 

Looking good.

Colour wise, how about using one of the late fifties two tone car colour schemes? Ford did a very period looking golden yellow and black that might suit. Anything that says 'automobile' would place the airplane firmly in the civil sphere. Cadillac or Lincoln colours would go along with the expensive personal transportation angle as well. 

Whatever you go for, it's going to look spectacular.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

Morning everyone ... Well shes ready for paint Sfsc5e0.jpg

Shes as smooth as Im going to get her. Prop was taken from the Korean war kit. Not a big deal as I have a Quickboost replacement square tip prop in the box for it. As for colors I was going to go with Red but now I may go with Green, Blue, or Black. I have a pattern in mind and an ID number. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Hello everyone ... Well I was able to get a lot of work done today. I weathered three planes and sprayed the base color on this. Dk.Green metallic. Once this is cured I need to seal it as the next color will be enamel. AYGE6Vb.jpg

CGLC4vN.jpg

cKdEn1r.jpg

Y39Rv7M.jpg

ZwekrIQ.jpg

DJnY3W1.jpg

Im thinking art deco sunburst on top of the wings, and one possibly two chevrons on the fuselage. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 12

Good morning everyone ... I was able to get the next color on today. Might still do a third color but not sure ? First up was the masking. GIBu3nJ.jpg

Ye3TriW.jpg

1FbbW9a.jpg

7pfFM3I.jpg

m7HAmUS.jpg

1DweTAB.jpg

Prop is painted with matching color spinner and white tips. Ive seen mostly black/yellow props. However on one or two Ive seen nothing and one had red, white, and blue. Though I may go with red, white, red.

rAG5HDE.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 12

Hi. just a tad late to the party.

I built one of these several years ago using a 1/48 model from the Revel Mustang/Harvard Air Race Dual kit.  Not sure if you are aware that Gerald Scarborough did a conversion of the Cavalier Mustang that used a R R Dart for power, this was described in the 1974 hard-back Airfix Magazine Annual 4, using the Airfix 1/24 scale Mustang kit.  In the article he provided 1/24 and 1/72 scale plans.  I would remind you that this conversion was done in the days of carved balsa wood.    Robin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Robin said:

Hi. just a tad late to the party.

I built one of these several years ago using a 1/48 model from the Revel Mustang/Harvard Air Race Dual kit.  Not sure if you are aware that Gerald Scarborough did a conversion of the Cavalier Mustang that used a R R Dart for power, this was described in the 1974 hard-back Airfix Magazine Annual 4, using the Airfix 1/24 scale Mustang kit.  In the article he provided 1/24 and 1/72 scale plans.  I would remind you that this conversion was done in the days of carved balsa wood.    Robin.

Thanks for the info. Yes Im aware of it and also aware of the similar conversion done in Australia as well. The turbo cavalier is on my to do list along with the PA-48 eventually. I just need the kits. Their are resin sets now for the R.R.Dart conversion and full kits of the PA-48. But I have a pretty good set of detailed photo’s and drawings and will attempt to convert a standard kit.