USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

11 minutes ago, giemme said:

it can only improve once the harnesses are in place

We're gonna harness Fritag ?  What a great idea Giorgio... let's see him try to squirm out of that Hawk build once those shackles are on   

• Haha 10

22 minutes ago, giemme said:

it can only improve once the harnesses are in place

9 minutes ago, hendie said:

We're gonna harness Fritag ?  What a great idea Giorgio... let's see him try to squirm out of that Hawk build once those shackles are on 

Being on different continents is clearly no impediment to a comedy double act of this calibre  :hmmm::rofl2:

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I'm in  the process of producing a quite useful range of shackles so we can get those at cost.

Ok so now it’s a triple Act (is this a new showbiz concept?)

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Apologies; I found one more thing to do before attempting the HGW belts....

I’ve used oil dot filtering on the 1/72 bang seats I’ve done for the trainers and meant to do the same here - but forgot :doh:

So - oil dots (also used yellow and black).

DC58C470-D11A-4FCC-B433-D1E87EF1A957

Mostly taken back off, but hints left; and a thin pin wash of black oil in the creases of the back pad.

3077F53E-6C6C-43AB-99BF-561A078C6328

Promise I’ll leave the seat alone now (save for a clear coat)

No more seat harness avoidance activity now; ‘cept maybe this... Transplanted the Aires resin gunsight from the discarded resin Instrument Panel to the kit IP.

55EB9090-3A4F-44F9-BA6B-A90AD05E665E

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Seconded!

Stay safe        Roger

Thirded! 

I wonder how far we can go up the scale ........

Terry

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I wonder how far we can go up the scale ........

At least as far as likewise.

Is that scalar?

Or is that some kind of distance ranging?

That oil dot thing.

Invisible perfection addition, it's there but it's not there but it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Is that scalar?

Yes, only magnitude and not direction.    👨‍🏫

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Since you fourpled it, I'll fipple it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Did someone say harness?

Instead of doing proper work I had a play with the HGW Sutton harness.  My first go with these ‘fabric’ belts, but others on BM will have mastered them no doubt :D

Anyways; they look deceptively benign..... 

A29C6CD7-7DD7-4B24-8424-58D84C3C50E9

Although the plating on the etch is peeling off as I look at it, so p’raps it’s a good job that all the visible etch will be tiny and it probably won’t be noticeable whether it’s silver or brass in colour...

So far I’ve just done the ‘easy’ bit.  One bit of harness and Five bits of etch.

58CA3838-6F30-4929-8828-ABAF54D255B9

Once removed from the paper backing the belt material is very thin, and a bit stretchy and springy so it takes careful handling with tweezers.  I’ve made myself a crib  after watching a vid online:

1. Remove backing sheet from belts
  2. Crumple between fingers (optional)
  3. Thread belts through buckles on etch sprue if possible
  4. Then cut the buckle and add drop of CA on rear to keep in place.
  5. If threading 2 x belts - try and glue belts together first
  6. When in place spray with matt varnish.
  7. Use yellow ochre/burnt umber oils mixture to add tonal variation and shadows and a wash around details.

The back is unsurprisingly not coloured; and all the messy bits of etch and glue will hopefully not be seen.

B96F749F-20DF-402B-8AB8-94CAFF5F5E93

I won’t know till I’ve finished and tried to pose the harness in situ whether I’ll like them or not.

Given the material is springy I expect it’ll have to be glued in several places to hold the desired pose.

Finding it quite fun so far.  Gonna take a good few hours work all in all.

• Like 13

That's looking really good Steve B) I've only ever done the HGW seatbelts in 1/32 so I admire your dexterity :D 

I tend to add the buckles before crumpling the straps, as it doesn't make threading the buckles on any easier if the belt is crumpled. I tack the straps in position with a little PVA-type glue, I think it mentions on the instructions not to use superglue. 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stew,

I can see the wisdom of adding the buckles pre-crumpling and I think I’ll do that as far as possible for the rest of the belts.

The HGW website says to use superglue - so it looks like they may be giving out contradictory vibes - but either way I think I’ll also have a practice using white type glue as a temporary ‘tack’.

The jury is well out on my alleged dexterity at the mo’ Stew.  They may yet all end up in the bin :blush:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Did someone say harness?

I actually said "harnesses", but being foreigner I don't know if this is correct or not.... :D  :D 

Anyway, harness looking very promising, Steve - keep calm and... don't breathe!

:D  

Ciao

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, giemme said:

Steve - keep calm and... don't breathe!

He can't. He's strapped so tight his greeblies are in danger of turning blue!

(Memories of trying to walk out to an ATC Air Experience Flight Chipmunk with parachute suitably "tight").

Looking seriously good though. Is that a sixthththt?

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

(Memories of trying to walk out to an ATC Air Experience Flight Chipmunk with parachute suitably "tight").

I am sure that walking out to a Chipmunk in that fashion so many times, did my privates no end of long term harm! 😱

Terry

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

The HGW website says to use superglue - so it looks like they may be giving out contradictory vibes - but either way I think I’ll also have a practice using white type glue as a temporary ‘tack’.

Sorry Steve, I might be mixing up my brands there, I do remember making up some fabric-style seatbelts that said not to use superglue, perhaps it wasn't HGW - that said, I'm sure PVA or similar would work anyway :) 

Cheers,

Stew

On 5/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, Brandy said:

On 5/27/2021 at 6:36 PM, Terry1954 said:

I am sure that walking out to a Chipmunk in that fashion so many times, did my privates no end of long term harm! 😱

You chaps have the experience and memories of one of the world’s finest little flying machines, and you’re worried about little things like that! :whistle:

As well as not crumpling the belts before adding the etch, I learned that keeping most of the backing paper on and just trimming away the ends where the etch attached made handling the belts easier:

87D8E92E-5E2F-4572-8CAB-C62F75686F60

Cos once the backing paper was off, them belts could easily go all curly on you....especially the ridiculously small ones!

F92999C8-3C6D-49A8-A32D-BA83DECDB5EE

I began to get more proficient at threading thin stretchy stuff through tiny holes, bending it back and gluing it.  Not sure it’s a useful transferable skill mind...

1E05916B-EDEE-4F3C-BE3A-434F81459743

Thin strips of tamiya tape helped at times.

1910864C-E9CA-4BB0-A0CD-B88063FF840C

Especially with silly small bits:

F10D4C5E-8373-4951-BE7C-9EB4FFD40601

But the belts somehow kept on getting put together:

99DDAB35-7318-43C6-8FC0-B80D90B287B7

And finally I have a harness.

At least one bit of etch defected to the carpet monster and I departed from the HGW design somewhat in places either to simply matters a little or because I wasn’t persuaded it was correct.  But any which way I’ve now got this:

880CB089-63CE-4DAE-8A0E-B9E28247FFBC

And after a recovery sleep I’ll see how easy it is to arrange it on the seat!....

• Like 18

Trying to build things this small brings out Tourette's in Woodyland. You seem to have a knack, really like the idea of using a few strips of tamiya tape to hold everything stationary, much to learn from Master Fritag! 

• Haha 2

That is just beautiful mate B) 

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Not sure it’s a useful transferable skill mind...

Well I think it might be now that you've successfully done one :D ... but perhaps only transferable to do the same thing in future 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 3