USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Not very helpful I’m afraid Terry

On the contrary Steve, at least you are confirming it's more likely an issue with the varnish itself, rather than me having a bad day! I've also had some limited but good experiences with the Mig Ammo paints and they do go on very nicely as you say. I wished I'd followed my instinct re the lack of clarity of this varnish in it's liquid form.

I've a mind to experiment with some trusted decent gloss over another part of the underside on top of the Mig Ammo "gloss" to see if that helps set everything. If so, I may be out of trouble, as I'm going for a clean finish with no weathering (friends request). Just need to get the decals on and sealed. Can you sense my optimism? However, if that experiment draws a blank, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and strip it all off somehow. Very frustrating for a "commission" build, but it's taken me just over a year to get this far, so a few weeks hassle with the finish will seem like a walk in the park!

Thanks for sharing your experience and I agree, stay away from that particular gloss! 😱

Terry

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I've a mind to experiment with some trusted decent gloss over another part of the underside on top of the Mig Ammo "gloss" to see if that helps set everything. If so, I may be out of trouble,

Good luck Terry 🤞

Just a small step this evening, but significant in its way because the Instrument panel is usually visually important and painting it can go badly wrong....

I can’t claim too much credit for this one of course, given that the actual panel is Aires etch, and the instrument faces are (nicely) printed by Aires on a film.

Still, I did have to cut the kit panel down to fit with the resin floor, and I did have to transplant the resin gunsight across from the discarded Aires resin panel; and there’s the scratched compass of course and I did have to paint the darned thing; - which was a bit fiddly given the coloured dial surrounds and U/C up/down indicators.

AE9F2112-FA81-4B35-B241-75105AC56F6A

Some wires and a greeblie or two yet to add (priming pump most noticeablty).  Bit it’s nearly there.

• Like 17

7 hours ago, hendie said:

I think you can be justifiably proud of that compass

Of course for strict accuracy the model will now have to be posed heading 270 degrees (magnetic)  :whistle:  (any suggestion for a ‘hubris’ emoticon? :D)

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That instrument panel is a little work of art B)

Yes Aires can be justifiably proud of the etch and instrument film ;)...For my part I confess to being  immodestly proud of managing to neatly paint the red/green/orange/yellow instrument bezels (do need that hubris emoticon...) which are only there at 1:1 to make modelling difficult.....

BTW My new best friend for drybrushing to highlight the details on black painted bits is the Mig Ammo Dark Sea Grey.  P’raps I can finally bin the old crusty tin of humbrol enamel light grey I kept for the purpose.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That instrument panel is a little work of art B) 

Cheers,

Stew

I couldn't agree more! :worthy:  :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

For my part I confess to being  immodestly proud of managing to neatly paint the red/green/orange/yellow instrument bezels (do need that hubris emoticon...)

No hubris emoticon needed Steve - be proud! :)

And of the 'never to be seen after close up' rear section.

Perfect.

• Like 1

Creeping closer to zipping up the fuselage.

I’ve added most of the greeblies to the port fuselage side so here’s a progress piccie or four....

The instrument panel and wing/fuselage are just dry fitted for a look-see.

I added the radiator flap lever from a bit of 0.5mm plastic rod.....I’m pretty sure it was there on the Vb.....

I added a decal placard underneath the radio selector - cut down from a spare decal sheet from a 1/72 Hawk 100 (I think).; and a sliver of black decal on top of the map case to play at being the radiator flap lever instructions.

013B96C4-E9BA-4E0A-A4CD-4EE526F58613

The pneumatic air bottle connecting pipe is just a bit of 0.3mm brass tube bent to shape - pretty standard stuff.

EDAF5D27-77F2-4882-B6CC-C13421E7B95D

And with the seat dry fitted as well:

42D5CD3A-4155-4682-9EAB-728A27E0C3F7

And more of almost the same :blush: Still yet to fit the HGW harness.

69A18BA5-89E2-4256-8FB9-E96685026C4B

The throttle box is the most obvious absentee at the mo’, and there’s the cockpit light and a bit of wiring still to go.

Still moving forward :D

• Like 15

I'm very impressed with your modelling, Fritag.  I was stuck in a hotel during a hurricane some years back, reading your epic Hawk build from beginning to wherever I'd got to after the power went out and my laptop couldn't obtain more input; over fifty pages later as I recall.  In my defence there wasn't much else to do as there wasn't enough whiskey and having a smoke was unlawful indoors and atmospherically improbable outside.  The banter and camaraderie in that thread (and maybe some modelling as well) helped inspire me to sign up and contribute what I can to this hallowed forum.  So, cheers to you!    😎

The innards really do look smashing, I look forward to watching this unfold.  I've a soft spot for Spits in Yank livery.

Edited by Jackson Duvalier
engrish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

I was stuck in a hotel during a hurricane some years back, reading your epic Hawk build

Great story Jackson :D  The scary reach of Britmodellor……

On 6/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

The banter and camaraderie in that thread (and maybe some modelling as well) helped inspire me to sign up and contribute what I can to this hallowed forum.  So, cheers to you!    😎

The poor old hawks are as yet still unfinished :blush: but at least some good has come from em :whistle:

Greeblification of the cockpit walls is continuing.

The only addition to the port side is the throttle box.  Not really worth another photo - but your getting one anyway……. Just a bit of wiring and the cockpit light to go here.

7F41C240-4FA0-4552-BBFA-6C8522821361

Started the starboard side.  Mixture of resin bits salvaged from the Aires cockpit walls, scratched bits & bobs, and repurposed and cut down decal cockpit placards. Straps on the O2 tank are from strips of decal too.

Couple more gubbins, some wiring, and the U/C lever still to go.

9179AD2E-694C-4241-8F33-1D6E4B19A4A1

Running out of things to do before having to do something drastic like fixing the fuselage together and sticking it to the wings……

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Running out of things to do before having to do something drastic like fixing the fuselage together and sticking it to the wings……

Scarytime folks

Steve glues, tidies then runs away...

Just being nasty to irritate your bugger-it-let's-get-on-with-it impulse

Before here we have been young Friday.

And it would be a terrible shame if this gorgeous Spitty didnt get finished you know...

• Haha 4

Is it okay to say that I'm looking forward to not being able to see that anymore?  In a positive way of course.

All looking very professional in there and suitably subdued 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Just being nasty to irritate your bugger-it-let's-get-on-with-it impulse

But it’s just so much scarier doing the outside-bittery; them’s the bits that everyone sees….:)

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Easier bits now Steve - you can do it!

Thanks Ced.  Moral support and pep talk acknowledged :winkgrin:

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Is it okay to say that I'm looking forward to not being able to see that anymore?  In a positive way of course.

Of course2 :D

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Such coarse work after the delicacy of the cockpit gubbinning.

Gubbinsrey? :whistle:  I think its a maths/math thing :D

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Simply exquisite modelling.

Thanks Johnny.  See you lot.  A nice man……:winkgrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Those internal sidewalls are looking the biz Steve. At least some of that should be visible from the outside I reckon with canopy slid back and small door down.

Terry

• Like 1