USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

Very nice work Steve, that's looking very smart :) 

Have a nice break and don't forget the Sou'wester!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

Frequent  reminders or...

... relentless badgering? Your call, I'm good with either one :evil_laugh: :D 

Ciao

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Frequent  reminders or...

59 minutes ago, giemme said:

... relentless badgering? Your call, I'm good with either one

I'd go for the silent routine, eventually he might think we don't care! 🤐

on second thoughts. it's not working on those Hawks..........

Terry

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so. Had a very enjoyable week in the Scottish Highlands, lots of walking and lots of cycling; and then the mandatory hellish week at work catching up... But have also made a little progress on spittie.

Eased back in gently.  On the underside of the wings, by the rear outboard quadrant of the wheel well is the opening that allowed the spent cannon shells cases to escape.  On the kit the moulded wheel well wall covers some of the opening - thus:

357D988F-ACC5-4D0F-8E51-FC5475480E45

It’s an easy task to thin down the wheel well wall with a file etc.

3F657BDD-BDF8-4B92-8946-891B34DB4C83

And so unblock the opening,  Of course it’ll never be seen and so a pretty pointless modification......:blush:

C7D53B2F-EB50-4B0D-ACCA-9A68D5BB2507

Then back to the cockpit, and started adding some greeblies, as hendie would say, or a camera indicator as supermarine would pedantically have one call it :D

94DB5022-B8C9-4053-B865-C4A8DFE7680A

And some more greeblies aka cockpit lights.

D6572F48-98D1-437E-9BE8-6C6C9EEEF788

And greeblies various received some preliminary painting.

3305128A-E908-4C01-B8FA-070651586110

The I thought I’d better paint the resin seat.  I used the method first given  by @Jon Kunac-Tabinor way back in a 2010 thread, and referenced on a few builds since.

That is a base coat of Tamiya XF-52 flat earth with a bit of red, followed by some dry brushing with orange, yellow and red and toned down with a light translucent overspray of the bse mix.

459EB80F-F1E9-48A3-A86C-2CDB3A5B2262

Base mix is a pretty good starting point.

CC540805-ED88-4286-8284-E13854708EAD

And after the dry brushing with yellow and orange etc. etc. and the leather back pad given a base coat of lightened black.

The back pad needs a bit of dry-brushing and some oil filters and the seat needs an oil wash - but you get the impression.

Actually, there’s a bit more colour variation in the seat than the photo’s have captured - but you’ll just have to trust me on that :winkgrin:

4B50E60E-5928-4070-875A-C02C69D6892D

2484DD51-55F7-45EC-90D2-4787CB40CBEA

8B9865FA-554B-4809-9700-440063D089BC

Just before attaching the greeblies various to the cockpit walls I added a bit more shading using very thinned (with Mr Colour Levelling thinner) Tamiya Smoke, and at the lower and rear sections a bit of post shading with even more diluted Tamiya Nato black.

AE3DDC07-6459-420A-BED4-61847E2FAA3D

36C1E7C8-AD71-4D2F-9D31-EB53B96515A1

More when there’s some hardware to see in’t cockpit....

• Like 21

Impressive paint job  on that seat, Steve! :worthy: 

I shall take notes about this painting sequence, for my next Spitfire build 

Ciao

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hendie said:

posts like that make us realize just how much we've missed the Fritag school of modeling over the past months, sorry... years !

It's great to see you back in action Steve

Careful, don't say that, tempting fete and all that!

I agree though, some great modelling again Steve, love it.

Terry

• Like 1

So the modelling gods decided to have a laugh at my expense yesterday.  Or to put it more prosaically I was clumsy and paid the price.....:blush:

A few weeks and several posts ago I knocked together the seat support out of a mixture of kit bits, scratch bits and etch and posted this photo.

F326949D-4887-4D19-BC01-491E13ECD344

In the centre of the etch head armour is cut-out, presumably to help locate the kit headrest as there is no such cut out on the 1:1.  Very thoughtful.

However several of the 4th FG spits - including XR-A, which I think is the one I want to do - are seen in contemporary photographs to have the headrest removed; I don’t know why but I can speculate that it may be to enable the pilot to turn his head further around to help him check his ‘six’, which if I’m correct would be prudent exchange of comfort for efficacy :D

Anyways.  I made a mental note to fill the cut-out prior to painting.  And forgot...

Belatedly I realised and so had a tricky filling job using PPP.  Which after much careful sanding and use of Mr Surfacer was repainted.

F4239468-C6A3-4EC7-8792-A0945A83A34D

Job done, albeit that the frame now had a few too many coats of paint and varnish on it and was a bit 🍊 peely.

And then I knocked over my desk lamp; which fell onto some loitering detritus (knives/files etc.); which bounced across the desk; which knocked over an eye dropper bottle of mr levelling filler (which I had a negligently failed to screw the top back on to) which spilled mr levelling thinner onto the desk top; which splashed onto the seat support - and softened and stripped some of the paint.........:doh:

After a few salvage attempts I bowed to the inevitable and left the seat support to soak in dettol to strip the rest of the paint off.

Although at least it gave me the chance I to make a better fist of filling the cut-out in the head armour.  This time I used some black CA which is perfect for a job like this as you can see it much more easily than the clear stuff and it sands and polishes nicely.

C2DEF970-259D-48F0-B2A5-DD4166FC5242

So.  Deja vu :D But could’ve been a lot worse.  At least the mr levelling thinner missed everything else........I think.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I tell you what it is, biking and walking is affecting your modelling, that's what it is.... :D  :D  

Looks like the remedial work will turn it into a better version, though :clap:

Ciao

• Haha 3

On 5/22/2021 at 6:37 PM, Fritag said:

Then back to the cockpit, and started adding some greeblies, as hendie would say, or a camera indicator as supermarine would pedantically have one call it :D

Hhmmnnn.  Hendie, or Supermarine ?  Who are you going to believe?

On 5/22/2021 at 6:37 PM, Fritag said:

Just before attaching the greeblies various...

I see.  No need to answer then.   :D

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like the remedial work will turn it into a better version, though :clap:

It was the Moirai way of telling you that your work just wasn't up to scratch!  (we didn't want to say anything in case we scared you away again)

I agree wholeheartedly with Giorgio - 2nd time looks to be even better than the first time around - which was pretty impressive

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow. That was like reading the commentary on some sort of tense sporting event…

Luckily, our team won.

Good save Steve :) 

• Like 1

Almost inevitably, I agree with them.

Probably, though I wonder if someone should be QUITE as pleased with himself for having introduced us to greeblies...

• Haha 4

On 5/24/2021 at 6:44 PM, hendie said:

Hhmmnnn.  Hendie, or Supermarine ?  Who are you going to believe?

6 hours ago, perdu said:

though I wonder if someone should be QUITE as pleased with himself for having introduced us to greeblies...

It would rather simplify the cockpit drills tho’ Bill, e.g:  Greeblie - On; Greeblie - engaged; Greeblie - tested & working;  Greeblie - reading correctly; Greeblie - forward and locked etc. etc.

Seat support save now complete and seat dry fitted - ready for fixing and attempting the HGW harness.  Altho’ if I c*ck the harness up I’m gonna come back and edit that bit out :whistle:

0ABB42D6-753F-4FD8-B259-6788BBEB7B6C

3F87B7F8-E532-497D-A48B-04A6D682D584

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fritag said:

It would rather simplify the cockpit drills tho’ Bill, e.g:  Greeblie - On; Greeblie - engaged; Greeblie - tested & working;  Greeblie - reading correctly; Greeblie - forward and locked etc. etc.

Seat support save now complete and seat dry fitted - ready for fixing and attempting the HGW harness.  Altho’ if I c*ck the harness up I’m gonna come back and edit that bit out :whistle:

0ABB42D6-753F-4FD8-B259-6788BBEB7B6C

3F87B7F8-E532-497D-A48B-04A6D682D584

Quoted , pour encourager...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2