USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

33 minutes ago, giemme said:

Steve, I did check and... they are going to be visible

Giorgio, you comfort me :)

I should come clean and say that I’m revisiting your build at each stage of mine.   I use Microsoft ‘One Note’ as a handy scrap book for notes, images and links and have your build as a link.  Oh and @Navy Bird’s 1/32 Mk IX as well seeing as I’m in a sharing frame of mind.  Not to mention some of @Troy Smith’s references and links to various discussion threads on BM and museum sites etc. it’s a handy piece of software for this sort of thing.

PS I might cease to look at your’s and Bill’s builds when I start painting mine - as the comparison in painting and finishing skills ain’t gonna be flattering for me.....:D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

You are right (again) Steve it is almost impossible to googlesearch for Spitfire radio fitment, this was the best I could find to go on your magical little tray/bracket.

spitrad1.png

A blackydarkyblack box of suitable shape will do nicely down there I would guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

A blackydarkyblack box of suitable shape will do nicely down there I would guess.

Generic black box it is then Bill 👍

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Busy bank holiday weekend :( Had some day-job work to do plus a helpfully supplied list of maintenance tasks in the house and garden :D  But fitted in some Spitfire time.

I now have something of a kit of parts to populate the cockpit with now.

04FA064F-BB7E-426F-A7D0-68701CE00343

Took a surprisingly long time to neatly extract various control bits and bobs from the Aires resin side wall.  Not quite the sanding-fests that @hendie and @Navy Birdhave been undergoing on their builds - but nonetheless sanding off of the rear of resin walls to release the raised details from the front of the casts was a bit of a bind.

Several bits visited the carpet monster and not all came back so there’s a bit of scratch building looming in my immediate future....

Most of the salvaged Aires bits are an improvement on the kit parts, but not all - the air tanks for the pneumatic system were curiously underfed and the kit parts look better.  The Aires undercarriage and throttle quadrant were rather nicer though.  The throttle quadrant lacks the mixture control - bit of a problem at a 1:1 level - but somehow I think we’ll get by in plastic.....:D

Continuing the slightly paranoid ‘what can be seen through the open canopy/door’ theme, I decided that the resin floor needed to be extended back a frame and a bulkhead was needed in front of the rudder pedal area.

Easily dealt with:

37FA4164-A67E-4BCE-9046-4A4857A9C6B3

And possibly even to be seen.  Floor extension.

A5B6D486-CAE0-4E6A-8AEE-30E9FECCB057

Bulkhead (obvs. the IP will hide the upper half of it):

61DD1E25-8F2E-4093-A562-EEFE78FC0D5D

And then I added in the cast resin frame that I made earlier and some plastic strip for the ‘X’ bracing in the area under the Radio aerial - where the sutton harness wires pass over.

30354F79-F2E3-4581-8E4E-CA2989E83B9A

That was a tad fiddly.  But I know this area will be at least a bit visible:

A6AA446D-D401-4AFF-A441-5BF5F344EAF8

Although I may have to vac form a new rear-section of the canopy if the injection-moulded part isn’t clear enough.  And IIRC Girorgio found there were fit-problems with that part of the canopy on his build.

I think I’ve run out of things to do before painting the fuselage/cockpit sides and floor now....:D  Cripes.  Now where did I leave my airbrush.  How does it plug into the compressor.  What primer should I use.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Although I may have to vac form a new rear-section of the canopy if the injection-moulded part isn’t clear enough.  And IIRC Girorgio found there were fit-problems with that part of the canopy on his build.

It was actually @PlaStix that gave me the heads up: the kit part is too narrow, and if you try to press it open, it will crack - and it did.... :sad:

Ciao 

• Like 1

Very nice work Steve, as always :) 

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

Now where did I leave my airbrush.  How does it plug into the compressor.  What primer should I use.....

Don't worry matey, it'll come back to you.

Just like riding a bike…

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

... although stalling again on the hawks tut tut! Nice progress :)

Ssssshhhhhhh!  Don't mention the "h" word... We only just got him back. You might scare him away again

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, woody37 said:

Just caught up young Steve, great to see you back at the bench again although stalling again on the hawks tut tut! Nice progress :)

Thanks Neil............I think :D  I was just about to pick up on the h’s again (obvs.) when the 453rd call came :whistle:

21 hours ago, hendie said:

Ssssshhhhhhh!  Don't mention the "h" word... We only just got him back. You might scare him away again

Yes indeed.  Treat me with kid-gloves; like the nice man says (well implies, anyway...) :D

We have some primer - and under paint the modifications work looks adequate.

E01808B0-E1CD-46A3-A245-D6AF2FBAB37A

57C4F69E-346C-4281-B057-417D706F0024

DB26B6BF-2920-426C-AE69-3DD71686D131

Rear fuselage had a squirt of alclad aluminium.  All preparatory type stuff at the mo.

DEB5CE1B-729D-4F8E-959B-D96AA3120B7F

That frame behind the canopy isn’t a very good fit :hmmm:Might not matter when the rear section of the canopy is fitted - but might need work....

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Fritag said:

We have some primer - and under paint the modifications work looks adequate.

Adequate is good. Try not to waste any time doing better, though.      :tease:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Thanks Neil............I think :D  I was just about to pick up on the h’s again (obvs.) when the 453rd call came 

yes

of course

Spitfingy looks nice...

Like the work of our old mate Fritag in fact

• Haha 3

Ha! I aspire to that level of 'adequate'! 

To me it looks superb, but then my bar is a LOT lower.

(Not that bar Steve, I haven't been called… or allowed in the pub) :D 

• Haha 6

I’d forgotten how much fun masking is......

0B3E50B8-65AB-44CA-B78C-FAC13D87D93B

I’m using mig acrylics for the first time.  I’m not a sophisticated airbrush user,  and the mig paint and satin varnish were very easy to use with my neo with the 0.35 needle.

94A234A8-FF84-4DC5-8811-B1149EEDE76B

The aim was to allow hints of the black primer to show through to give some variation/shadow effect.  Like here on the scratch-built firewall.  A sort of muppet-black-basing I suppose....

0E64CA26-12EF-4D60-A187-F2F7E8A0680C

I think that light touch worked well on the fuselage floor - with some tonal variation even before any washes or drybrushing.

F28AD48A-7FD2-4CCC-A287-033009F85EF2

The scratch built lower cockpit side blends in pretty well I’m pleased go say.

F123B018-0BF0-4B19-80AF-D1BAEBFB61E7

And the modified seat frame looks ok under paint.

83C2DCD8-1E1E-4222-8F9C-91434B092E1F

Cockpit is still bare - but more of an idea of how it will look now.

73600533-3FE5-482B-B185-7B2CB4AF091C

276D4F26-C9B4-42FE-838C-9FE341CA1803

AA0BB21B-DA58-4A84-A442-F56F54DDBA1D

92483C12-B478-4BCC-9576-A93348C26109

Quite relieved I remembered which way up to hold the airbrush.  Hadn’t missed cleaning it out afterwards tho’.......

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Quite relieved I remembered which way up to hold the airbrush.  Hadn’t missed cleaning it out afterwards tho’.......

I hear you. That is one of the reasons why I use my Paasche H (external mix, single action, siphon feed) for everything other than very fine detail work. It is so much easier to clean. Horses for courses.    :hobbyhorse:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I find a black base for the interiors always give an appropriate depth to the following paint work, even before the washes - you did that in the most neat and gracious way, Steve :worthy: And I totally agree the lower sidewall additions blend in perfectly with the kit parts :clap: Looks like you have a lot of potential to exploit in 1/48... :whistle:  :D  :D  

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Various small cockpit bits and bobs primed and painted with lightened Nato black (air tanks need to be silver) ready to be added and detail painted, dry brushed etc.  Not that you can see much in an iPhone photo of teensy black things against a black background.  But it gives me a chance to say that that’s it for a week or so as were off to a cottage in Scotland for a week tomorrow.  Walking and cycling in the (doubtless) rain....

48402F9B-D20E-4603-AB51-3F0957077552

• Like 13
  • Sad 1