USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

FWIW, to my eyes it very much appears there's a change in tone on the leading edge under window 3 (and that's even before I scrolled down as far as Terry's post)

James

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Is that masking too broadly spaced at the l.e?

…..

Asking for a/some friends...

Ha. You’re a bad man Bill.  I masked it 1mm less broad  than the Tamiya decals would have as it happens.  And I may or may not have nibbled off another millitad after your post Bill :D

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

FWIW, to my eyes it very much appears there's a change in tone on the leading edge under window 3 (and that's even before I scrolled down as far as Terry's post)

James

Do you have very young eyes James? :D

I agree that window 3 is the main man in this.

Yellow painted and de-masked.  Tamiya gun-barrel-opening-covering-tape decals applied and marinating in Microsol, hopefully to show the outline of the opening once dry.

8F1EB9B6-04E2-4106-BF88-89F5D1CC14E8

Looks a bit bright shiny and new now.  Needs ageing an operational month or several now.

• Like 17

Late to the party again. Fwiw, my answer is a definite maybe,  or not.

Whatever the real answer is, I don't really care as that is one absolute brammer of a spitfire.  That shot really captures the essence of the weathering with all its scratches and scrapes. Beautiful  (and I don't even like spitfires that much)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Do you have very young eyes James? :D

Depends on your definitition of young, I'm 40. However, I am blessed with reasonably decent eyesight, just a hair long sighted and never had to have glasses. It highly amuses me that as my sight deteriorates I'm likely to reach a point where I have 20-20 vision, even if only temporarily 🤣

The Spit's looking lovely with it's yellow edges. Roll on the weathering, I'm taking notes

James

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2021 at 14:36, perdu said:

End of part one.

Your duty to decide, ours to hold to question.

Part two.

Is that masking too broadly spaced at the l.e?

Is this not a tad slimmer?

ROYAL AIR FORCE FIGHTER COMMAND, 1939-1945.

Asking for a/some friends...

Just to be tricky, is there an argument that the yellow is different on the wings port vs starboard? The yellow on the port wing definitely starts just outboard of the innermost. 303 but appears to start a bit further out on the starboard wing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

Just to be tricky, is there an argument that the yellow is different on the wings port vs starboard?

Now then - after mature reflection.  Dunno, don’t care - fingers in ears going “La, La, La” :rofl2:

• Haha 6

From somebody with zero desire to ever build a Spitfire that is such a ravishing result Steve that I'm very much inclined to build a Seafire on the strength of your artistry here.

And don't come it the old 'well it's not too bad but not as good as...' routine; you've seasoned the thing beautifully. :clap2:

On 25/10/2021 at 15:25, Fritag said:

Anyways, sneaked off work (as in sneaking out the study and into the hobby room)

I bet you made a mental note to reprimand yourself when you haul yourself in front of yourself at the disciplinary committee... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

And don't come it the old 'well it's not too bad but not as good as...' routine

Well it's not too bad but..... (shutting up now sir)

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

mental note to reprimand yourself when you haul yourself in front of yourself at the disciplinary committee.

I did - and I asked for several dozen similar offences to be taken into account too... :blush:

Ok so.

Weathering.

This may not come as a complete surprise but I don't make many models :whistle: and so I'm not exactly in practice....

I'm pretty pleased with the seasoning so far (ok Tony?) - I think the multicolour pre - mottling and the chipping have worked out pretty much as I planned.

I've now got a preliminary plan to go through several steps to the finishing line.

Step one is a limited panel line wash - more of which in a mo'; followed in order by some oil work, specifically some: filtering on various panels; a bit of emphasising of edges and corners various; some oil mottling to try and recreate the staining you see on aircraft that stand outside in the elements most of the time, some streaking.

And then some pigment work for exhaust staining.

Sounds a lot but moderation will be the watchword.

But before we go any further I thought I'd show you these beauties:

33BF4FA9-234F-426C-B336-7875ACCC48A7

Some Eduard Brassin resin fishtail exhausts.  Lovely mouldings.

Meant for the Airfix kit but if I chop off the bottom bits they'll fit the tamiya ok.  I think.  I've primed them and given them a base coat of alclad aluminium (in substitute for a steel colour - which I don't have).  I plan to lightly shade them with black and then have at them with oils and pigments.....

And then probably bathe them in dettol to get rid of the mess I've made and start again....:D

I also binned the Tamiya gun port cover decals as even after several goes with microsol they wouldn't conform to the shape of wings enough to show the circular openings for the gun barrels.

Instead I resorted to tamiya tape painted with a mixture of Tamiya red brown and red.  They're on now and they look better.

77B42FC5-F9B6-496E-B130-82CAE79416EF

Back to the weathering.

I've now done step one - the limited panel line wash.

I say limited because I don't want Spitty to have all her panel lines highlighted cos that look doesn't appeal to me.  So all I've done is darken the lines (not really panel lines) around the flying surfaces and then in addition the lines around selected hatches/removable panels on the basis that those are the ones likely to get dirty and be more visible for real.

I used the Flory wash for that cos it's water based and the excess is easily wiped off of the alclad gloss protected surface.

Some piccies:

Underside.  I've just done the ailerons, flaps, elevators, armament access hatches and the engine compartment panel lines.  Looks a little stark at the mo but things will get a dirtier and blend it in.

562DE0E5-3A86-4F51-83A7-02A97DA5365C

In this one I've done the engine compartment panels and gun access panels on the top.  Also a little Flory around the cannon fairing.

Oh - and I realised that XR-A had a gun camera in the post wing root and after some prevaricating I bit the bullet and drilled out the opening.  Thankfully I didn't muck it up.  The chipping fluid is still doing it's stuff and I was able to distress the paint around the gun camera port quite nicely.

55E3C3C2-6FF3-481A-A9AC-704CA7C00940

In this one the radio access hatch on the port side had a panel line wash as well.  You can see the wash around the engine panels/fasteners better in this piccie too.

534387A0-5371-4D08-AC3E-38200208CA4D

Another one of the wash around the engine panels/fasteners.

B7D18DB3-3FBE-4E5A-85B3-D821FBFA11EA

And around the rudder and elevators and their trim tabs and the whatever-it-is for access panel on the starboard side just in front of the sky fuselage band.

748E25BD-C329-437B-8D80-322196924AA3

And finally one of the wing showing the Taimya tape gun port covers - hopefully you can see what I mean by the gun barrel ports showing through the tape.  I just couldn't get that effect with the decal covers.

I've also distressed/chipped the yellow leading edges as well.  Quite pleased with that look.  Simple things and simple minds etc.

4975EED2-0A33-4D84-918A-703D7364089B

It's largely a question of personal taste of course but I reckon that's about enough - and I'm not planning to emphasise any of the other panel lines with a wash.

I'm off to the orkney Islands for a week from tomorrow.  Overnighting in Inverness and on the ferry Saturday.  So that's it for another week or so.

Edited by Fritag
typos mainly
  • Like 18

Some very nice weathering there Steve, and your watchword of moderation has given a nice subtle finish all over. Really like that.

Many people splash on the flory wash all over then spend some time rubbing it off, but it sounds like you used it more like an oil based pin wash? That seems to have worked very well indeed.

And yes, the gun cover tape looks the biz!

Enjoy the Orkney Islands!

Terry

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Many people splash on the flory wash all over then spend some time rubbing it off, but it sounds like you used it more like an oil based pin wash? That seems to have worked very well indeed.

Yes I used it as a pin wash.  I didn’t splash it all over because I want to use different colour oils for the surface staining for a (hopefully) more subtle and varied effect.  Also to keep it out of all the other panel lines I don’t want emphasised! 🤞

• Like 2

Good decision on the panel lines. One of my pet hates is models that look like a crossword puzzle! 

Enough, but not too much - perfect!

Buggering off again though? Do you not have a job of work to do?

Alright for some.....

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

but I don't make many models :whistle:

But when you do...

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I'm off to the orkney Islands for a week from tomorrow.  

I knew it. I knew it. I just bloomin' knew it.  There he goes again.

Fantastic dirtying of the aircraft I don't really like Steve (Should I have had a comma in there somewhere?).  Waaay more realistic than stark black gaping panel chasms. Moderation in abundance. I like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, hendie said:

Fantastic dirtying of the aircraft I don't really like Steve (Should I have had a comma in there somewhere?). 

I don’t know mate - it’s your sentence, your responsibility :D

So, because I’m an organised sort of chap and had all my packing for the Orkneys trip done  - I had time this evening to start on step two of the weathering plan; oil filtering on various panels.

Started on the undersides - on the basis that any dramatic c*ck ups will generally speaking not be seen by anyone beyond this forum….Not daft you see :winkgrin:

Small splodges of various colours of oil - and plenty of thinner - I use artists Sansadoor with oils cos its gentle and low odour.

EF130F0F-1F51-481C-90B4-25D4D10146AE

Very very very thinned drops of various oils lightly brushed onto all of the access panels - and then mostly removed; it’s a very controllable process.  

I’ve used oils in this way in cockpits before, and also for general exterior staining, but this is the first time I’ve tried it as systematically as this.

Done all I plan to do on the undersides - thus:

73203290-66DD-46E6-A452-719CF52F8A3D

8A3F0F31-6FF1-42FF-A7EB-B9AE4057665F

Still aiming for subtlety.

Once it’s all dry it’ll need protecting with a thin coat of alclad gloss before anything else can be done.  I need to remember that’ll probably knock back any contrast a bit.  I thought when I did the grey circle on the underside of the port wing that it stood put too much  - but the gloss coat seems to have reduced that rather, and I like the look of it now.

The beauty of oils of course is that up until that point they can still be removed completely by a brush dampened with Sansadoor - or indeed added to.

When I’m back from Orkney I’ll have a look at it again and see if I still think I’ve got it about right.

The topsides probably matter more - but at least I’ve had some recent practise now :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 13

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

When I’m back from Orkney

Enjoy your stay! :thumbsup: (someone from the other side of the pond once tipped me on an Orkney dark beer that is absolutely worth trying :winkgrin: Right @hendie ? :D )

Loving the purposeful weathering and the oil filtering :clap:; as you know, I'm all for a restrained, or better "proportioned" weathering, but on a 1/48 model I'd be tempted to apply a wash on all panel lines, albeit of a different nature for the less evident panels. Like tone-on-tone (i.e. dark green on the green areas, etc) or a generic dark grey (BTW, since I use tempera for this kind of stuff, I fully exploit the benefit of it getting lighter in tone after drying, so even a black tempera wash doesn't turn out really black)

Ciao

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

From somebody with zero desire to ever build a Spitfire that is such a ravishing result Steve that I'm very much inclined to build a Seafire on the strength of your artistry here.

I always knew you were a man of taste and discernment, Tony.  I am hoping that ONE DAY Eduard might get round to a Seafire or two, once they’ve worked their way through the Spits.  I have heard very good things about their 1/48 Spits - indeed, thanks to a generous friend I was able to use some spare Eduard parts from a Mk.XVI in my Seafire 46 build, thus pepping up the Airfix 46/47 cockpit.

Go on, you Czechy types; give the wing-folders some love.

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, giemme said:

someone from the other side of the pond once tipped me on an Orkney dark beer that is absolutely worth trying

:D

Your mission Steve, should you choose to accept it, on this trip, is to sample only local libations and report back to the hive in the style of Jilly Goolden.  

I especially recommend Dark Island Special Reserve (having only ever yearned after it and never got to taste the manna myself)

Isn't there someone up there who also produces a nice Gin? Or was that the Shetlands?

*edit* 

Consider it a quest along the lines of "Who's mission impossible it it anyway"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, hendie said:

:D

Your mission Steve, should you choose to accept it, on this trip, is to sample only local libations and report back to the hive in the style of Jilly Goolden.  

I especially recommend Dark Island Special Reserve (having only ever yearned after it and never got to taste the manna myself)

Isn't there someone up there who also produces a nice Gin? Or was that the Shetlands?

There is definitely an Orkney Gin, though I’ve yet to sample it so cannot comment on its quality.  However, since Orkney is responsible for the sublime Highland Park (truly a Prince among whiskies), I’m optimistic!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I really like your approach to the weathering, which in my humble opinion, is spot on. On the picture of the real thing @perdu posted earlier on, the only panel lines visible are around the cowling where, as you suggest, wear, tear and grime will accumulate due to regular removal, etc. Why some modellers like to plaster the whole thing in a wash so the panel lines resemble trenches you could break your ankle in, I'll never know. But, as you say, each to their own. 

Super stuff!

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/5/2021 at 2:38 PM, tomprobert said:

I really like your approach to the weathering, which in my humble opinion, is spot on.

Many thanks Tom.  Plenty of time yet for me to c*ck it up…:blush:

On 11/5/2021 at 8:44 AM, giemme said:

Loving the purposeful weathering and the oil filtering :clap:; as you know, I'm all for a restrained, or better "proportioned" weathering,

I refer my learned friend to my previous remarks…..

On 11/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, hendie said:

I made sure to sample several beers from the Islands’ Orkney and Swanney Brewerys.  I’ll have to go back again before I’m sure which beer is my favourite tho’ :whistle: (might have brought some back with me too).

Shetland Reel gin from the Saxa Vord distillery is definitely worth tasting (the ‘Ocean Sent’ is one of my fav’s); but I beg to report that the Orkney Gin distilleries can hold their own…

On 11/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There is definitely an Orkney Gin, though I’ve yet to sample it so cannot comment on its quality.  However, since Orkney is responsible for the sublime Highland Park (truly a Prince among whiskies), I’m optimistic!

I’m not usually a whisky drinker; but given the write-up I did sample the Highland Park 12 year old ‘Viking Honour’ single malt.  And now I want some for Christmas….

On 11/5/2021 at 7:54 AM, perdu said:

Enjoy your hard earned

Hard earned? Now even with my irony detector turned to maximum sensitivity I’m not quite sure of your sentiments there Bill :D

So whilst some of you lot were enjoying yourselves at Telford I was sat on the Ferry from Stromness to Scrabster and then driving the 475 miles home :(

For some reason the front seats in my car have 14-way power adjustment - which I have to say I had thought was a bit OTT, but by about the the 350th mile on the way back I’d used up all 14-ways and was beginning on No 1 again :D.

Worth it though - got some really good cycling and walking done in the Orkneys.  On one costal walk we came across a sheltered geo (a cleft in the cliffs) with at least 60 common seals with new-born seal pups basking on the beach.  Quite a sight.  What am I saying - the sights all over are wonderful; the day after we arrived the winds hit 50mph + and the seas crashing against the cliffs on the North East of the main island were simply breathtaking to behold.

Anyways…..

Once I was ‘ome I thought I’d tackle some of the fiddly little Spitty-jobs that I’d been putting off - before getting back to the oil filtering on the upper surfaces.  So:

Glued the prop blades into the spinner - using a crude little jig to make  sure they were all at the same angle:

168F7D36-D0BF-4CA8-BF77-79134D905DC0

I should admit that an earlier effort to ensure all the blades were at the same angle had involved putting the spinner in the chuck of my Tamiya battery router, spinning the prop and looking side-on to see if the yellow tops were all following the same plane.  And no, I somehow didn’t foresee that doing that would simply cause the blades to fly off all over the place?

Next I replaced the (bent in my kit) kit pitot tube with some brass tube of the same diameter (I remembered that Giorgio @giemme did something similar on his Spitfire build).  Glued with gator grip thin blend.

20E0E978-D091-40EB-8788-14B5AF76CFBE

Looks okay under paint.

F10067C6-87DA-4317-BCE1-75E5B4823645

Dunno whether the orifice is quite to scale tho’ :winkgrin: 

EE30AE0E-65F2-4D08-83F8-4DF5CF5829B2

And I began painting the rather nice quickboost resin access door.

It’s intended for the Airfix Spitfire actually but it’s close enough in size to pass muster.  Quickboost even provide the crowbar as a separate part. But as far as I can see contemporary photographs show that it wasn’t always fitted and I’m not sure I’ll bother with it…but I might do.

So far it’s had a base coat and a Flory wash (not quite as intense/dark as the photo makes it look). Need to a little bit of oil filtering on the door next.

5899CD1E-2584-436F-B670-62C81D7CAAC7

Stage 2 of the exhausts.

Airbrushed some black over the bodies of each exhaust and the nozzle of the front exhaust.  The black (again not quite as heavy/dark as the phot makes it look) is just a base to be mostly covered with some browns and then oils and pastels.  

40108FA9-16F8-4876-9F54-2778B1552264

The tail wheel on a Spit is fully castoring and I decided to pose it slightly offset to add a bit of character/life.

So the bottom section was cut off and the joint reinforced with some brass tube:

6F10557F-9406-483C-A74B-C11A3DD6B150

Reassembled and glued with some Tamiya green cap. 

D8E06FB1-52E3-440B-9873-6AB4F509C470

And painted and given a Flory Wash:

C688E78B-58B2-4DE2-98D4-F91513E2CCAC

Hopefully the slight offset will add a bit of interest:

C8578939-494E-43C5-A907-F00C33D507EE

(Sad little paint mule spittie muscling into shot there)

And finally for now, I masked and airbrushed the canopy and airbrushed interior green followed by dark green and a flat coat (Tamiya - thinned with mr surfacer levelling thinner).

XR-A has the blown hood even though she has the early external armoured windscreen.  This seems to be a feature of many Vb’s - certainly most/possibly all of the 4th FG Spits I have photo’s of seem to have this combination.

F2387C72-0C9C-468D-A6D7-FCE06B7CC9FE

Back to oil filtering the upper surfaces next…

Edited by Fritag
typos
  • Like 16