USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

At this rate I’m gonna have to declare this bloomin’ thing built soon.  Fancy that - I might get to do an RFI!

That’s if Spittie survives….I managed to sort of half drop it earlier on and break off the port leg and starboard leg-door.  Luckily that was the only damage… Somehow the newly fixed pitot survived and there were no paint chips or scratches.

1E705803-1FB8-4A7D-8AEC-7492C7F64B72

A bit of drilling and then pinning with thickish fuse wire for reinforcement and to help pose the leg at the correct angle - and she’s fixed.

CFFA89B6-81AE-4815-B41D-BEA784B44100

Plus added the downward signalling light.  Painted the inside of the clear lens with Tamiya clear red.  Which is actually not a bad match based on some photo’s I took of the IWM Mk 1a - although them photo's might be a bit dodgy on the colour balance and I think actually the lens should be a bit more of an amber colour :whistle:. (don't tell anyone).

B611BB5B-3180-4DAF-B043-45D86D838DB8

Top signalling light and radio aerial fitted.  The light looked quite toy like on the sprue ands when dry fitted so I micromeshed it to a duller finish and to make it a little opaque.  I’m pretty sure that exposure to the elements would have done similar for real :whistle:  I read somewhere that sometimes the top signalling light was overpainted in black or blue - but I wasn't sure enough of the facts to do that here.

14CE6791-6861-4106-AF9F-B12122CEE309

Nav lights built up with some Gator’s Grip. The tail light cover is a bit pointy for real and so another little blob of Gator’s Grip will be needed here.

3863371D-AFF8-4728-BD5A-02A97A8D9D1F

C65B9EFC-14DE-4935-855E-E0A126B7DFC2

It dries clear (obvs.) so whilst the tail light lens can stay clear,  the wing lights will need to be painted red/green.

Lightish and shortish exhaust staining.  The theory here is that they were trying to keep her clean remember :D  Used Tamiya weathering powders again  - soot, oil stain and rusty brown,  I haven't added a whitish stripe to it as by my study of old photo's that only seems to be noticeable on the more extrensively stained aircraft.

AFF796CE-49D9-41AE-8399-8358FE5DF71B

Finally fitted the cockpit door.  It's a lovely moulding and even has little piano hinges that stick out slighty and could be hooked over the framing to help location.  Tried it with and without the crow bar and decided it looked better without - as more of the door structure was visible.

The port side exhaust staining is also done.

6DAF666A-B147-4629-9638-B2D45B00504A

And now I think all that’s left to do is:

IFF aerials from stretched sprue (I've drilled the location holes through the stars on the fuselage sides).

Fix the rear view mirror.

Paint the wing nav lights

Fit the prop

Fit the sliding canopy section - which is a bit of a tight fit and stands too high and proud.  Got a plan how to deal with that - I think.

Cripes - that's it.  Not much of the to-do list left.

Edited by Fritag
Additional text + typo
  • Like 26

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

.I managed to sort of half drop it earlier on and break off the port leg and starboard leg-door.  

😱 

That must have been a heart wrenching brief moment Steve. Just reading it had me going there for a bit.......

But excellent save, and the closing activities are looking grand. I especially like that open cockpit door. It's not just the door in that example, but also everything you see around it, perhaps the worn inner wing too. All totally convincingly real.

So, coming to a close, I'll look forward to that and the RFI, but then, what next............🤔

Terry

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

but then, what next............🤔

Is'nt there a pair of Hawks in a holding pattern somewhere?

A really stunning Spitfire Steve, a joy to watch you work your magic on.

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glorious weathering and detailing, Steve - I'm really looking forward to seeing her in RFI :tasty: Also, great save on the broken leg, it must have been one of those :angry: moments....

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

6DAF666A-B147-4629-9638-B2D45B00504A

And now I think all that’s left to do is:

Oozes quality from every angle: this photo's my favourite so far Steve when it comes to showing all those classy paint effects to full effect. 👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well - I think I'm done. I do. I really think I'm done on this build. (:hmmm: I don’t think that’s original - I might have read it somewhere recently :whistle:)

Quick few photo’s (p’raps not the best iPhone photography ever).

I wasn’t fussed about building (another) Spitfire - but I’ve grown quite fond of this one.  She gave me an opportunity to play with chipping/oil effects.  Tried to be restrained and stick to a look that I could justify from photo’s of the 1:1.

FACCC0FA-61F9-4E39-9AA5-242B353DDC3C

A25BB8E4-FE23-4C77-9B72-5D2D46936927

360E6A61-4AAA-416B-9446-38617DE2D8D4

08AAAB2C-C46C-46AF-ABA4-9898AEAA6EE2

55045E2D-CB5C-4471-ABBB-34674EF21F1D

AFACE511-D441-41AA-A1BC-3844CC9445E0

8BA42E52-DF4D-48BA-9DCE-CCD3B1400BA0

I confess that the finish on the exhausts and the prop blades are amongst my favourite bits.  Little things - little minds etc. etc.

308FFF0A-A5F1-4F95-A0CE-F28D4A11E103

650D5DCB-74CB-483A-911E-49D03B63F573

I mustn’t look to closely or I’ll start fiddling with it again….

Edited by Fritag
rearranged photo’s and more text
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Well - I think I'm done. I do. I really think I'm done on this build.

Cyclic?  :D

Absolutely astounding build Steve. Astounding!

Sheer admiration for the subtlety of the wear and weathering, not to mention the display of quality skills throughout the build. 

Got anything in mind for your next build? :whistle:

• Haha 2

My colleagues before me have said it all, and indeed left me a bit short on superlatives Steve, but........

An absolutely superb job all round. A true masterclass in modelling at its best, and certainly one of the best Spitfire models I have yet to see.

Love it, and thanks for the entertaining and educational journey.

Oh, and look, just 23 pages.................😱

Terry

PS note absence of any comments relating to a pair of ...................🤐

• Haha 5

• Fritag changed the title to USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * Finished (few extra photo’s)*

^What they all said. A truly magnificent build Steve, I'll make sure to bookmark it ready for when I get around to building a Spit

James

• Thanks 1

• Fritag changed the title to USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

Thanks for all the kind comments chaps - very much appreciated (deserved or no :D)

23 hours ago, Bedders said:

And all done in under 23 pages!

23 hours ago, hendie said:

Got anything in mind for your next build? :whistle:

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

PS note absence of any comments relating to a pair of ...................🤐

I know's what you guys are about.  In decreasing order of subtlety! :D

RFI is up here:

• Haha 3