USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

(Cant wait for him to finish the Hawks and get on with building the Jagwarr!)

Something in my water tells me it could be a while .................. just saying.

Terry

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I'd say that folks wos casting defamatory dispersions (sic) if they didn't have a defence of 'Truth' available......:whistle:

(For the avoidance of doubt I express no opinion on whether or not Bill is "bl+++ old' - although I observe that he's got a darned sight more energy than many as is ostensibly not "bl+++ old") :D

PS.  As it 'appens - if I could source a grey/light grey very fine permanent marker (sharpie or the like) I feel like I might (as in there's a chance) dabble with the hawks a bit more.

Edited by Fritag
Added PS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I'd say that folks wos casting defamatory dispersions (sic) if they didn't have a defence of 'Truth' available......:whistle:

(For the avoidance of doubt I express no opinion on whether or not Bill is "bl+++ old' - although I observe that he's got a darned sight more energy than many as is ostensibly not "bl+++ old") :D

PS.  As it 'appens - if I could source a grey/light grey very fine permanent marker (sharpie or the like) I feel like I might (as in there's a chance) dabble with the hawks a bit more.

Speaking as a satisfied owner of a Pilot fine marker in a superbly refined grey ink range may I suggest m'learned friend take a butcher's at eBay which is where I got mine (0.05 I think, skinny enough?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I take it all back!

Tain't a Pilot at all

Unipin

P1010397.jpg

I understand OTHER colourways might be available too.

It writes and draws in a most satisfactory manner, returning fine line excellence, when I can stop the doddery old hand shaking m'lud.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does them work on plastic Bill?  Thoughts are of drawing MDC lines on canopies.  I’ve somewhat lost faith in my previous idea of using home-brew etched MDC; notwithstanding having spent ages producing a few frets….

Edited by Fritag
Further explanation
  • Like 1

Good idea, yes they work on plastic although I haven't tried MDC lines on clear stuff

It seems to be a spirit based ink so I cannot see why not

For interest I have just (3mins ago) ordered the 0.05 sepia and light grey, due in 3 days, so I can advise later if you don't want to take a punt on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Bill,

Have taken a punt myself; light grey and dark grey 0.1mm/0.5mm.  If they don’t write nicely on clear plastic then they’ll still be jolly useful for real life stuff :D

59 minutes ago, perdu said:

Pilot fine marker in a superbly refined grey ink range may I suggest m'learned friend take a butcher's at eBay

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

I take it all back!

Tain't a Pilot at all

Unipin

That’s summat of a relief.  I thought that ebay/amazon/google were conspiring for unknown reasons to deny me access to Pilot fine markers! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Thoughts are of drawing MDC lines on canopies.

I just took a peek at your fine pair of JP's as my memory was telling the 5 had MDC on it - and sure enough it did. It is very clear in the RFI 15th and 16th pics down.

Don't know what you used then, but I'd say repeat repeat repeat!

Terry

26 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Don't know what you used then, but I'd say repeat repeat repeat!

Ah now.  That was fine copper wire bent to shape around a jig.

imagejpg1_zps064631f6.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsc1535e54.jpg

IMG_3185_zpsff041d4e.jpg

But the Hawk MDC is a way more complicated shape and much larger and I didn’t think that making a jig and/or bending wire would be practicable - hence the thought of etching some MDC.

1948D8B5-6580-4D81-A029-489323327903_zps

A1A31916-01BA-4EB6-9D6A-09726317F085_zps

But with the perspective of time I can see that my home-brew etching efforts aren’t as fine as I’d ideally want - so I’m thinking again….

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10

29 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Ah now.  That was fine copper wire bent to shape around a jig.

Yes, i did check that JP thread further and saw the ref to wire. And i agree, as good as Fritag etch is, that Hawk MDC etch doesn't cut the mustard when compared  with the wire. I reckon you will be hard pressed to match that, it looks sooo bl***y good!

Terry

• Like 2

Stunning thread, just scrolled through all 13 sites and really enjoyed your detailing work and paint skills.
The hint with the jig for the MDC is worth to be remembered, will try this one one of my next projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trained ants or spiders...

Just thinking, a man we know overseas in The America's has just 3D printed 'rubber' window seals which are impossibly lovely, for a helicopter's cabin windows.

Would that technology further enhance MDC production for Hawk type aircraft cockpit modelling?

I wonder...

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, hendie said:

they may be small, are always worth the wait

I had a girlfriend like that once!

But I digress.

More fine detailing which has, indeed, been worth the wait.

As will the detail on the Hawks when we see them again, and what a wait THAT has been!

As for the MDC, presumably home brewed decals have already been ruled out? Seems they would be far easier to get right than freehand drawing.

Or even a silhouette cutter!

Ian

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

And i agree, as good as Fritag etch is, that Hawk MDC etch doesn't cut the mustard when compared  with the wire

Don't you sugar-coat it for me Terry will you? :rofl2:  Trouble one is that it's probably fair comment :blush: Trouble two is that IIRC after a trial or two I just didn't think that wire was feasible with the extent and complexity of the Hawk MDC.

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

As for the MDC, presumably home brewed decals have already been ruled out? Seems they would be far easier to get right than freehand drawing.

Or even a silhouette cutter!

I did think about home-brew decals back in the day but didn't think I could hide the excess decal film.  But seeing as time has almost erased the memory of the various options I considered, I guess that nothing now is ruled out :D

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Just thinking, a man we know overseas in The America's has just 3D printed 'rubber' window seals which are impossibly lovely, for a helicopter's cabin windows.

Would that technology further enhance MDC production for Hawk type aircraft cockpit modelling?

I wonder...

Shhhh Bill, you can't go dropping (not even) thinly disguised hints like that ;)

3 hours ago, hendie said:

All he needs is a nod, and a few key dimensions. No guarantee it will work but nothing to lose by trying it is there?

Or perhaps you can Bill :rofl2:

Alan, how about a subtle, almost diffident nod?  An archetypal British, semi-embarrassed at asking anyone to do anything, ready to pretend nothing was in fact asked for nod? - with equally semi-embarrassed and over-the-top expressions of gratitude held in reserve just in case....Phew - that was stressful......(Also - and cue more archetypal British diffidence - my guess is that it's probably too fine a task for the printer so please don't waste any time or material on it).

And you may be surprised to hear that there's no real hurry :whistle:

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Does this work?

I did the graphics for the etch using the Apple 'Graphic' App on my iPad and have somehow failed to save the file :fraidnot: (I seem to have lost the Hawk vortex generator graphics file too - altho' I did save the Buccaneer vortex generators ;))

However I do have a JPEG file of the MDC albeit that it doesn't have any dimensions on - It may print out on to A4 the correct size (I may even have used the JPEG to print the actual etch films) , but I can in any event do some good old fashion measuring of the physical product.

Added by edit:  For correct scaling the distance between the centres of the crosses inside the circles is exactly 45mm.

That’s the distance horizontally between the crosses either side of the artwork and vertically between the crosses on the top and bottom of the artwork.

Any good?

MDC%20artwork%20jpeg_zpsxasgjc9v.jpg

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Acetate reject from Brumbus1

Dark Grey left, Black (obvs) right

Hopeful that.

I can't get into trouble for thread drift on my own thread can I?  - It's all right for you Bill as you don't really like Spitfires anyway!:rofl2:

Edited by Fritag
Added dimensions
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Alan, how about a subtle, almost diffident nod?  An archetypal British, semi-embarrassed at asking anyone to do anything, ready to pretend nothing was in fact asked for nod? - with equally semi-embarrassed and over-the-top expressions of gratitude held in reserve just in case....Phew - that was stressful......

Maybe sometimes you need to be less British and more .... I don't know .... Italian, maybe? Just ask, this place is full of people willing to help! (and I love it for that!) :winkgrin:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Trouble two is that IIRC after a trial or two I just didn't think that wire was feasible with the extent and complexity of the Hawk MDC,

I can see how much more complex the front part of the Hawk would be if you were to try and bend the wire as one piece, but a problem halved.......

Fritag Etch o1

Could two pieces of wire like the above be joined on the centre line? Probably would have to be on placement, but a tiny dob of solder might work pre placement. That sorts the front, and the rear MDC is just a teeny weeny bit more complex than one of the pair on the JP............. 🤔

Actually as I type this, another idea....... use the etch as the template to bend the wire - pins in all internal corners?

At this point you have no doubt realised that I have no concept of how thin that wire is or that I have no idea what I am talking about!

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

altho' I did save the Buccaneer vortex generators 

Did you catch that one lads, looks like our grandchildren are in for a treat after the Jaguar!

Terry

• Haha 1