USAAF 4th Fighter Group Spitfire (Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb) * FINISHED 30 NOV (+ few extra photo’s)*

Ok so.

Unless I’ve forgotten something - always a possibility - I’ve finished the internals now.

Cockpit light and small bit of wiring to finish off the port side.

A2FE73A3-8CB8-4479-81AC-56FE95841B17

Somewhat more wiring on the starboard side. And the very last greeblies and a dash of detail painting.

1C316A34-E60C-46BD-AA9F-A881B33A5054

And on the instrument panel - plus the last couple of greeblies (etch fuel cock and scratched primer pump).

5AE50BDE-BF96-44D5-91B3-22B1070C5765

Added the straps to the foot rests - from painted Tamiya tape (nearly overlooked ‘em).

879A2E6B-E6A0-4626-AD27-8351C0EB8AA1

And finally summoned up the courage to fix the HGW harness to the seat.

Bit of a handful to do.  The material is quite springy and not easy to pose at this size/scale. Needed dabs of cyano at many points.

Added some shading with umber oil.  Finished off with a light spray of Tamiya clear matt.

3298583A-38B4-4465-BE7C-3E73D29340CA

F0C74C27-89E7-43E3-8E04-1A0DF8378634

Oh - and another wire - from the voltage regulator.

4FCE4E90-585A-451E-ABDE-A2973A5638C6

Gratuitous final couple of piccies (it bloomin well took long enough to stick the harness down - I’m bloomin well gonna take a few photos….)

F0C74C27-89E7-43E3-8E04-1A0DF8378634

025E9022-B2B1-422D-A0A7-8068DD52869A

Job done.  Just got to stick spittie together now…:D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 23

Good stuff Steve, go on get glueing.

Bill means, obviously, brilliant innards and full of anticipation for the outards.

:)

• Haha 1

Ta all.

12 hours ago, perdu said:

go on get glueing

Yes Boss.

Some glueing done.  Starboard fuselage glued to the lower wing and IP/Seat glued in.

478FF65E-B390-49B0-B1F2-C713E23D91FA

Fuselage sandwich to follow.  Say goodbye to the world innards; some of you will never see the light of day again…

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That’s an interesting way of doing the wing/fuselage join.

Not wholly through choice John; call it the least worst option :D  Not recommended unless necessary.

In my case, cos the internals are a mishmash of the Aires resin floor, home-brew extended fuselage sides and cut-down kit IP and seat support frames it was a challenge to get them all lined up and fixed accurately.

The easiest and probably only way to do that was to: firstly fix one fuselage half to the lower wing; secondly line up and fix the IP and seat support frame to both the fuselage side and the resin floor; and thirdly to fix the second fuselage half to the first and to the wing.

I couldn't really use the less interesting and more logical option of gluing the fuselage halves together before fitting them to the wing :D

I did dry fit the fuselage halves and top wings together at the time I glued just the starboard fuselage to the wing; to make sure the fuselage and the wing lined up ok.  And now all three have been glued I think I've got it all in position and lined up as well as if I'd been able to do it the conventional way.  I'll post a piccie after initial clean up later.

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Beautiful work Steve, and I do like the slightly unorthodox approach to putting it all together.

Ian

Him, he don't do orthodox anyway do he?

Lovely working out of the working out Steve.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ta all.

Yes Boss.

Some glueing done.  Starboard fuselage glued to the lower wing and IP/Seat glued in.

478FF65E-B390-49B0-B1F2-C713E23D91FA

Fuselage sandwich to follow.  Say goodbye to the world innards; some of you will never see the light of day again…

May not have been intentional, but I might try that approach of closing up the wing seam with the next build.

Shame we won't be seeing too much more of that working interior!

• Haha 2

I can't stop looking at that photo of the fuselage glued to the wing, the detail work inside is jawdropping. It's almost a shame to close it up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, Brandy said:

I do like the slightly unorthodox approach to putting it all together.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, perdu said:

Him, he don't do orthodox anyway do he?

Hmm.  You twos have form.  I’m suspecting sarcasm - or possibly its less troublesome younger brother irony.  But I s’pose I’d better give you the undeserved benefit of the doubt :D:D:D

On 6/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, giemme said:

Keep this pic for the RFI, Steve

What?  I’ve got to get it over the line to a RFI? I suspect Italian irony now :D:D:D

On 6/14/2021 at 5:16 PM, Thom216 said:

Shame we won't be seeing too much more of that working interior!

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

It's almost a shame to close it up

Thanks guys :) Much appreciated.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, Fritag said:

I'll post a piccie after initial clean up later.

Are you allowed to quote yourself?  Seems you are.  Not sure it’s the done thing though…..But anyways; here - following the unorthodox gluing sequence- are the major joins,

Nose.

77D1BC00-7A7B-49D4-B6F2-247C3EFA7401

Rear upper fuselage:

F87A42B4-CF87-4145-B7FA-732447FB2D7F

Wing fillet.  These needed a bit of filling with black cyano:

6FF2812E-48A6-4A9A-82C8-1040D2BE8687

Underside:

78F3A77C-B658-4BA5-9B9B-4234A05D5269

There was an appreciable gap at the back of the under wing fillet where - but I think that’s a known issue with the fit of the kit rather than anything to do with the sequence I did.  I used cyano on one half and a thin strip of plastic card on the other.

I’ve run some cyano along the seems in places where there were very fine visible lines and after micromeshing the seams look pretty good (until the primer reveal).  Bit, but not too much rescribing to do next.

• Like 15

31 minutes ago, Fritag said:

undeserved

undeserved?

Are you partaking of the holy giraffe, son?

Having a laff?

Seriously?

Let me assure you that nothing is farther from the truth.

hur hur...

• Haha 7

51 minutes ago, Fritag said:

but I think that’s a known issue with the fit of the kit

I seem to remember so. Nice fix, and great to see you got to this milestone :clap:

And I was serious about the RFI - or do I have to call the Museum Police to "encourage " you?  :rofl2:

Ciao 

• Haha 4

I felt quite moved when I looked at the pictures of the great close up, realising that we will never again see much of that fantastic inside, in the flesh. 😢

Oh well, I'll get over it. 

Must be nearly time for paint?

Terry

aka optimistic of Dorset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

the seams look pretty good

Here we go with the lawyer-speak again.  In my world those seams fall under the adjective IMPECCABLE !

The only flaw I can see is that you forgot to glue on the top half of the wings :D.  Rookie mistake! 

Never mind, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it

• Haha 10