RAF Sea King "Falklands fit".

stuartp

I'm currently building Revell's Mk41 as an RAF HAR.3 in immediate post-conflict condition. I'm using Modeldecal sheet 71 which has decals for XZ592 and ZA105 and some December 1982 photos showing the lifting frames fitted underneath and the various extra lumps, bumps and aerials fitted.

However, I'm reasonably sure that I once saw a photo of one with a door- mounted GPMG as well. Where I saw it I now have no idea of course ! If I'm right I'm assuming it would have been the same mounting as fitted to the HC4s. 

Is this ringing any bells with anyone ? I don't think I imagined it. 

• Like 1

That was before my time, but there was certainly the possibility to fit a GPMG to an HAR3, and I think it's a safe assumption that it would be a very similar (probably identical) mount to an HC4. I don't have any pictures to help you, sorry - by the start of this millennium, when I started going to the Falklands, there was no need to carry the weapon! And even the grey paint gave way to yellow in the end.

• Thanks 1

Thanks TotD. Like I say, it's half remembered from years ago and I can't remember where from ! It could even have been somewhere completely off the wall like the Mail on Sunday colour section (they did an article on QRA Phantoms I recall). I was an RAF obsessed 14yo at the time and read everything I could get my hands on ! 

"Certainly possible" will be good enough I think, thank you 🙂

• Like 1

100% GPMG could be door mounted in all RAF Sea Kings (Yellow and Grey). It was one of my jobs to fit the pintle mount and GPMG at RAFSKTU (RNAS Culdrose).

We use to take out barrels, drop them in the sea as target practice. They never stood a chance.

As far as I am aware, you are correct in that it was a standard UK Sea King fit.

Edited by Barrovian
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much. Now all I have to do (apart from finish the Sea King) is remember which safe place my tiny whitemetal GPMG is in ! 🙂

So having found my tiny whitemetal GPMG and discovered that it's actually an LA86 Light Support Weapon, I then discovered that the Airfix HC4 Sea King (which I'd forgotten I had) includes the GPMG and the pintle mount. 

So there you are Pappy, rob one from an Airfix HC4 kit !

• Like 1