AMX-13/155 SPG

Carius

The AMX-13/155 SPG is a typical Heller kit of it's time and the only one of its kind produced in the 1/35 scale. While I am still disappointed with some parts of the kit, it really isn't all that bad. With some serious work, it could be turned into a very good model.

spacer.png

The little diffusion of the model and the fact that it is difficult to find on the market, makes this kit has a high value as a collector's item., I think :hmmm:. This will be a slow project as I have other models on the workbench (M-47 Patton, Quad Gun Tractor, ASU-57, King Tiger, and others), all in different degrees of assemblies.

Well, I decided to start this project and have made some progress on the lower hull and the running gear. The drive sprocket is terrible which was wrongly shaped and not really accurate, the road wheels are not so bad, but very simple. To quickly solve suspension problems I used parts from a donor vehicle, the excellent AMX-13 from Tamiya. Why sacrifice the wheels and suspension parts of a good kit? Because I already used the AMX turret in another project. So I hope be forgiven for this heresy,,,

Main parts of the donor vehicle, Tamiya sprue A:

IK9vSe5.jpg

spacer.png

Comparison between Heller (green) and Tamiya (yellow) quality and accuracy of injection parts...

spacer.png

Drive sprocket:

spacer.png

Tools:

spacer.png

Here are the first pics of the new suspension in place:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That´s all for now...

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Carius said:

Because I already used the AMX turret in another project. So I hope be forgiven for this heresy,,,

And that's why I have many boxes in the cupboard with parts missing. Every so often, I build a model, made up from all of the left over parts of these kits.

Interesting build Cesar, which I will follow with interest. I want to do an IDF version one day.

John.

Nice unusual project I'll follow along if I may?

Oh and there's nothing wrong with cross kitting that was quite a common practice in past years!

Stay safe           Roger

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Interesting project Carius. Will follow along and watch this progress. All the best on your build.👍

Thank you for your interest Stef. I will have a lot of work ahead and I will do the best I can.

Cheers from Brazil

15 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice unusual project I'll follow along if I may?

Oh and there's nothing wrong with cross kitting that was quite a common practice in past years!

Stay safe           Roger

I thank your company during this project Roger.

I really like to make these adaptations.

Take care

Cesar

17 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Looks nice Carius, good job so far, looking forward to seeing more...

Ed

Many thanks Ed

15 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And that's why I have many boxes in the cupboard with parts missing. Every so often, I build a model, made up from all of the left over parts of these kits.

Interesting build Cesar, which I will follow with interest. I want to do an IDF version one day.

John.

This practice is also very common here, I have the habit of doing many grafts as needed.

Take care John

15 hours ago, APA said:

Intreaging build this. Liking the mix and match as well 😂

Andrew 

Many thanks Anrew :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The gun isn't too bad, but I decided to change by a metal barrel from RB Models, because it is more accurate, mainly the muzzle brake:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Carius
  • Like 11

Nice to see this build - I built one 40 years ago, when my dad brought one back for me from a business trip to France (My brother got the AMX13 VTB which still resides at Dad's, started but uncompleted - Maybe I'll get round to it one day...) 

I was really pleased with my effort and held onto it for years but eventually binned it - The only issue I had in construction was with the tracks which were thick and inflexible, which resulted in me snapping one of the rear wheels off when I was attempting to fit a track.

Assume you're using the Tamiya tracks?

KR's

IanJ

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

More nice detail work

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger

Take care

Cesar

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Nice to see this build - I built one 40 years ago, when my dad brought one back for me from a business trip to France (My brother got the AMX13 VTB which still resides at Dad's, started but uncompleted - Maybe I'll get round to it one day...) 

I was really pleased with my effort and held onto it for years but eventually binned it - The only issue I had in construction was with the tracks which were thick and inflexible, which resulted in me snapping one of the rear wheels off when I was attempting to fit a track.

Assume you're using the Tamiya tracks?

KR's

IanJ

Thanks for looking Ian.

No I dont, I will use the Spade Ace Models white metal track links, code SAT-35178 (ruber type), because the Tamiya tracks wouldn't fit very well on this different chassis

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this one, and being an AMX-13 fan will follow along.

You are making a super job of this one. I love the work around the gun cradle.

I built the Heller AMX-13 last year. Not a bad kit for its age, and after adding a fair bit of detail mainly around the turret seal, it came out OK. I also have a couple of Takom AMX-13's and would certainly pick up one of these 155's if I had the chance. My AMX-13 is shown below fyi. If you click the link you will see many more pics of it in progress.

IMG20200629201910

Thanks

Terry

• Like 4