ESCI-ERTL 1-72 EF-111A Raven +++ FINISHED +++

Jasonb13

Hi all,

I got this recently with this GB in mind. Always fancied building an F-111, and going for the EF-111 not only makes it a little different from the usual, but it also then qualifies for the GB!

Here are some pics of the box and runners...

resized_0aca7f46-ed7c-4135-89de-a63103fc

resized_7683ee48-a38c-4dc5-aad1-6a47dd02

resized_bf547e70-fd66-4b49-a2a9-8483962b

The yellow decal sheet is the kit one, and the two white ones were very generously donated to me by @Dermo245

Here's the scheme I've decided to go with, the 'Black Sheep' one...

resized_459afa1d-f9fd-4280-84b6-4b105eef

The main reason I've gone with this scheme is because it had a black nose due to borrowing one from an F-111, so it's just a little different from the usual two tone grey.

The last kit I made was a Wingnut Wings beauty of modern engineering, this kit came out in 1988 and isn't. From reading online it looks like I can expect the fit to be interesting and the build to fight me a little. Apart from the decals I'll basically be building it out of the box and hoping it isn't too awkward!

Thanks...

• Like 13

On 4/12/2021 at 7:20 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks @Brad! Have been looking forward to this one for a little while, am already trying different paint mixes for the greys...

I'll be watching with interest...because I was also hoping to build this kit in this GB! 

Do you mind if I do mine, too? Happy to use different decals so they're not exactly the same!

I wanted to do this alongside my F-111G in the ANZAC build as a kind of production line effort.

Hope it's ok; let me know if otherwise!

• Like 1

Of course you should do yours too, don't do a different one just 'cos I am! And build whatever scheme you want, it has to sit on your shelf afterwards, so please go with what you want. Looking forward to seeing it, whomever hits issues first can warn the other one! :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Of course you should do yours too, don't do a different one just 'cos I am! And build whatever scheme you want, it has to sit on your shelf afterwards, so please go with what you want. Looking forward to seeing it, whomever hits issues first can warn the other one! :)

Thank you! 

I'll get started this week.

• Like 2

Have done some work on this.

Firstly, did some testing with paint. I have the upper Camo colour (FS36320) but I don't have the lower one (FS36492). So I did a few different shades/mixes of grey along the inside bottom of the fuselage and the upper colour along the top, to see how they look together. I reckon I'll be going with the last one on the right...

spacer.png

Then it was time to get started properly. So I got busy with all the bits and pieces, undercarriage, doors, pylons etc. It's a tip I got from a fellow modeller a few years ago, do those bits and pieces first (ordinance would normally but included here too, but not in this build obviously!) and get them completely finished. Then, when you're near the end of the build, you just have to stick them on, rather than having to start painting/weathering them just when you want to have the build off your bench!

So I got all the various parts cut out and primed, and then sprayed white. I nearly sprayed the speed brake but then found pics online to show it's red/black, so I'll do that another night. Next up will be some detail painted (oleos, tyres etc.) and a wash on them, as well as painting the outside of the doors and the pylons the underside camo colour, and that speed brake too of course.

spacer.png

• Like 8

I like to use this approach too. Since I adopted it, there are fewer new-start builds that join the old ones on the Shelf of Doom; those airframes sometimes even painted and decalled but sitting there without wheels and canopies...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't got to the bench much unfortunately. I have been struggling with the instructions though, and how vague they are...

spacer.png

This is the instructions for the main undercarriage. As you can see, it doesn't tell you where 20b goes. And the piece of plastic in the photo is 27b, also from the main undercarriage, which isn't in the instructions at all! I only have an idea where to put them from walkaround pictures and the Revell instructions from their EF-111A kit which I found online.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks! I saw a few pics that showed it red and just knew that I couldn't ignore it. By the way, the bright light at my bench tends to wash out colours a little, the red is actually a bit less bright, and the light grey on the plyons isn't the same colour as the undercarriage etc.!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got another little bit done, and the cockpit is finished. It's very rough and ready. The Kit comes with an IP decal that I doubt is anything like an EF-111a's actual panel (and is too small for the plastic), and it also comes with seatbelt decals that are a completely different shape to the molded on plastic on the seats. But I threw them on, and also threw on some spare PE IP panels for the bits beside the seats, as they had no detail at all. The PE is actually from an Eduard 1:72 MiG-21, and I think it fits in fairly well, better than the kit decals do anyhow! Ah well, the canopy will be closed so it's not like it'll be open to close inspection... :)

resized_67770d28-799f-428e-8b9f-7e008578

resized_ee212f76-8cba-4196-9a6c-d2509f8d

• Like 4

On 4/29/2021 at 6:24 AM, Jasonb13 said:

Haven't got to the bench much unfortunately. I have been struggling with the instructions though, and how vague they are...

spacer.png

This is the instructions for the main undercarriage. As you can see, it doesn't tell you where 20b goes. And the piece of plastic in the photo is 27b, also from the main undercarriage, which isn't in the instructions at all! I only have an idea where to put them from walkaround pictures and the Revell instructions from their EF-111A kit which I found online.

I built the F_111A a couple of years ago, here is how the main gear goes together

27714034447_5fa19acd32_b.jpg

Part 27 is not for the main undercarriage, it is a crude looking tail hook and goes in the slot between engine exhausts, I left it off mine

42530665092_43f9c8a226_b.jpg

48556603331_b65dc8a481_b.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks a lot for those pics, it's really helpful to see how the parts go together.

However, I really do think that part 27 is for the main undercarriage, it's the exact same part as the one in the Revell Instructions for the main gear (below) and can also be partially seen in some walkaround shots...

resized_c8d07fd6-09c5-4782-bc04-26847199

Part 17 is the part that looks a bit like a arrestor hook of sorts, it's attached in your second pic with the cool black paintjob, and they actually point it out in the kit instructions, so that's one part they didn't forget about! :)

resized_0c8bc401-aed3-4acc-89ee-19f7c82b

• Like 3

Your cockpit is looking great! 

The panel decal is really disappointing, huh? The Hasegawa one is way better. 

I wish there was a generic decal sheet full of instruments that you could kind of harvest from for all these kits that never come with decent panel decals. Even generic switches and dials, and say some generic radar or other screens, would be better than nothing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

OK, looks like the Revell instructions are better the AMT version I had. Seems I left that part off. Nice to see you got it sorted Jason

Yeah the ESCI-ERTL instructions (and they're probably the same as the AMT ones) are very poor, but finding the Revell instructions online has helped. Once I get to the fuselage though the Revell kit part breakdown is completely different, so they won't help there at all!

4 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Your cockpit is looking great! 

The panel decal is really disappointing, huh? The Hasegawa one is way better. 

I wish there was a generic decal sheet full of instruments that you could kind of harvest from for all these kits that never come with decent panel decals. Even generic switches and dials, and say some generic radar or other screens, would be better than nothing.

Thanks! Yep, that's a pretty poor IP panel decal. Not sure how much of it will be seen, but it'll have to do.

• Like 1

I've been fighting with this the last few days. The fit is.... poor...

resized_f72cf266-c24a-4bd2-8dfe-8c346525

That's the 'better' lower to upper wing fit. The top of the front fuselage to rear fuselage join is just a flat butt join with no guidance at all, and the two complex curves don't match up well...

resized_12faaad9-7654-4305-9ed3-5807aade

I managed to get the front fuselage together, using both normal glue and super glue to get it to stick. Let's just say there's a lot of sanding in my future (and sanding/filling seams is a weak point of mine, so the seams will not look good on this kit!)

resized_569cbc36-01b9-48cd-9c35-97e1306b

I'll say this though, she's big! :)

resized_98665c22-d17f-4c06-826b-d10cb01f

You can see what I mean about the fit between the two fuselage sections in that pic. Anyhow, next step is to try to reduce the gaps in the wings, and then get the wings in and close up the upper and lower rear fuselage sections. The wings are designed to move, but the pylons on them obviously aren't, so I'll chose an angle I like and leave them at that angle, with the pylons straight. 

• Like 8

Sorry, should have said that the two parts are only dry-fitted in that pic! I'm hoping it'll be somewhat better once glue is involved, but even just holding them together shows it's not a great fit.

4 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Sorry, should have said that the two parts are only dry-fitted in that pic! I'm hoping it'll be somewhat better once glue is involved, but even just holding them together shows it's not a great fit.

haha ok you had me worried there! 

• Haha 1

Hi  @Jasonb13,  I've just spotted this thread, so hope I can offer you some help.

I built this Italeri EF-111A as the prototype Raven in 2019.

Some of you part questions may already have answers.

Part 17 is a tail bumper, not an arrestor.  F-111s did have hooks, but not often extended.

My Italeri instructions show part 27 from another angle.  I've sent you photos by PM.

Got to say, no fit complaints at all with the Italeri build.

I always paint the wings for my swing-wings, before assembly with the fuselage, to cover thaose bit that a revealed and concealed during the sweep operation.

• Thanks 1