Help needed from aviation guys!!

Muchmirth

Hi, I'm about to do my second plane model and so not totally up to speed on model colours (plus more of a figures and armour kinda lad). I use an good old fashioned brush..no air brush I'm afraid and I like Vallejo (think I might work as a vallejo rep I the future!) I have spent a stupid amount of time researching various charts and online blogs etc but cant seen to find what best colour matches from vallejo air to vallejo colours? I want to build a III-2 sturmavik. Does any one know the green and the brown I use in the vallejo colours range please? I have the air colours ref numbers but cant seen to convert it to the colours range. Its suggested as green 71.289 and brown 71.293. I have looked at the colours on line and think the closest I can get in the colour range is flat green 71.968 and flat brown 71.983? Would anyone agree with that rough guess?

Any help appreciated.

Paul

No idea about Vallejo I'm afraid.  However Il.2s were not green and brown, but initially green and black, and later a three colour scheme of green, grey and tan (milky coffee).  Look on this site for better information:  massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php and its associated set of profiles.  http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the paints I used were Interior Green for the AMT-4 Green, Gunship Gray for the AMT-12 Dark Grey, and Israeli Armour Sand for the AMT-1 Light Brown (really a tan with just a touch of grey). For the underside colour, AMT-7 Blue, I used Russian Topside Blue. Unfortunately, these were all Testors Model Master flat enamels, which are now difficult to find, even if you wished to use them. Which Vallejo paints they correspond to, I have no idea, as I airbrush my paints and avoid all acrylics (like the plague!) for airbrushing. I know there are tables out there that try to correlate the different paints for different manufacturers, but I don't have any links to them. Best of luck with your Il-2 Shturmovik project!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2021 at 21:51, Muchmirth said:

Hi, I'm about to do my second plane model and so not totally up to speed on model colours (plus more of a figures and armour kinda lad). I use an good old fashioned brush..no air brush I'm afraid and I like Vallejo (think I might work as a vallejo rep I the future!) I have spent a stupid amount of time researching various charts and online blogs etc but cant seen to find what best colour matches from vallejo air to vallejo colours? I want to build a III-2 sturmavik. Does any one know the green and the brown I use in the vallejo colours range please? I have the air colours ref numbers but cant seen to convert it to the colours range. Its suggested as green 71.289 and brown 71.293. I have looked at the colours on line and think the closest I can get in the colour range is flat green 71.968 and flat brown 71.983? Would anyone agree with that rough guess?

Any help appreciated.

Paul

First  read these

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/color-table.html

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il-2.htm

To see which Il-2 you have,  

Vallejo makes lots of shades, but they are awful in their colour matching suggestions.   Model air can be brushed,  it basically pre thinned Model Color.   If in no dreaming rush I can eyeball some Vallejo Vs Akan that I have, and suggest some.  You might be better off tracking down some Akan acrylic.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I may have this cracked now colour wise, I bought three different greens and two browns plus a grey and did a colour patch test and think I have it more by luck than judgement. Thanks for the model air tip (as I brush only I didn't think to try that). Thanks Troy. Incidentally do you rate the arkan paints over Vallejo?

7 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Incidentally do you rate the arkan paints over Vallejo?

Akan are Russian, and were the first company to offer accurate Soviet colours.   They are like the full size colours, so are quite dark.   There are other companies offering Vallejo type paint for VVS colours,  just don't know which ones are reasonable.

I believe Hataka are decent matches, but have no personal experience of them.  

Other companies do them, just I don't trust Vallejo's stated matches to match what they are supposed to be.....

If you can find Revell Aqua,  87 Earth Brown is rated as being good for AMT-1.   

If you look at top of your post, there are 3 dots, if you click on that you can edit your post, and post heading,  suggest 

"Wanted Vallejo matches for ww2 VVS colours"   which is really what you are asking. 

This is not a very helpful thread title "Help needed from aviation guys!!" in comparison.

I have a fair few Vallejo, but just am not near my stuff to have a go at making some visual matches for you. 

The links I gave should at least give you an idea of what you are looking for though.  One final point, camouflage paint tends to relatively unsaturated in colour,  due to what pigments are used, and their costs.   Basically white and black are fairly cheap, but some pigmenst are rare and expensive, usually the more intense ones.

There was a very interesting thread dealing with this recently,  I'll add in the link when I find it.  

• Thanks 1

As Troy says, Hataka 's colours seem pretty close matches (to the Akan colours, anyway).  I looked at colour matching the Vallejo colours a while ago, before going for the Hataka set anyway.  I would suggest the closest Vallejo colours IMHO are potentially: 

71.008 Pale Blue for the underside

71.023 Tan Green/Hemp for the light brown

71.010 Interior Green for the green

71.277 Dark Gull Grey for the medium grey

Not sure of any other colours are needed or not - can't remember, but this might help a bit hopefully...

• Like 1