IJN Hatsuharu destroyer at sea

Dear Colleagues

The Royal Navy only called upon nature to inspire the naming of warships with their Flower class corvettes, but for the Japanese all their destroyers were named after poetic natural images.  In this case Hatsuharu apparently means 'early spring'.  Unusually, the 1931  design genuinely tried to fit the treaty restriction of a sub-2000 t weight (which they later abandoned) and the ship was launched in 1933.  However, a drastic redesign was needed in 1935 due to top heavy problems with a super-firing B turret arrangement (later moved to the stern).  Hatsuharu lasted until 1944 when sunk by bombing in the Philippines in November 1944.  The Aoshima kit has a lovely hull and is one of their better ship kits.  As is my way I have added a lot of photo etch apart from the stuff that came with the ship and used brass rods for the masts.

P5hCimB.jpg

Gj5GEMj.jpg

xJQPLAu.jpg

7IvqhKZ.jpg

xHCYxf1.jpg

Hope you like it

Andrew

• Like 44

Hello Sinner boy

I use the technique recommended by David Griffith in his ship modelling books of water colour paper followed by pasted on acrylic medium modelling paste to make the waves, painted in acrylics then a liquitex gloss medium varnish.  Key thing is to look at overhead photos of ships at sea

Andrew

• Thanks 1

OK, I'll try to remember to take photos of my seascape process next time.

Forgot to mention how essential it is to get brass barrels, particularly for small calibre armament like the 12.7 cm here, thank you Master of Poland!

Regards

Andrew

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started my first 1/700 scale ship and am honestly finding it hard work.

But when I look at something as wonderful as your ship and seascape, all I can say is AMAZING.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Jon

Don't give up!  You have endless photo etch extras available from HobbyEasy in HK to amuse you plus they stick just fine with white glue.  Main thing is to get some good glasses and super precise tweezers.  I was helped by ship modelling books of David Griffith

The downside is you snag the rigging just as you are about to photograph the model and all the masts, yards and rigging come down!  😪 Yep, I just did that!

Regards

Andrew

• Like 1