Renault R1090 Dauphine 1960

Inspired by other builds here on BM I too wanted to build a classic 1/32 scale Airfix car kit, and for me the first choice is of course the Renault Dauphine, first released in 1961, but sadly not issued for a very long time now. Being partly a collector as well as a builder I have a few of them stashed, at least one of which was always destined to be built. I have a long and very fond relation with the Dauphine and I know them inside-out, so I gave the old Airfix kit a little extra help, modifying and detailing along the way, but trying to not stray too far out. This is meant to be an Acton built UK spec standard (R1090) 1960 model, using the lovely Roy Cross artwork of the second Airfix release as inspiration. The build thread can be found here.

D100.jpg

D101.jpg

D102.jpg

D103.jpg

D104.jpg

D105.jpg

D107.jpg

D108.jpg

D109.jpg

D110.jpg

• Like 23

I'm running out of things to say about these beauties you are building, so I'm going to cheat and repeat what I said about your Hino!

"Another little gem Jörgen, beautifully built and finished model!" :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

Incredibly well done! Brings back fond memories for me of rides to high school in my friend Gary’s Dauphine. I got warmed up for first period on some days when he would put me to work helping to push start it when it would die at a stop sign. Your build inspires me to try to locate one or two of those great old 1/32 Aurora sports car kits that I recall buying for half a US dollar at the Woolworths in my youth.

• Like 1

Really lovely, what a super job you did on it.

I remember seeing this on the newsagents twirly rack, in the original bagged kit back in the early 60's when I was a kid. I always wanted on but never had enough money, so it is great to finally see one built at last!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 22:09, johnlambert said:

That's an absolute beauty, it's been great watching it come together.

Thanks a lot John. Glad you liked following, your 1/32 builds were partly responsible.

On 11/04/2021 at 22:12, TonyW said:

The Ugly Duckling turns into a Swan!

Almost unrecognisable as the old Airfix kit, it's been taken to another level altogether.

Thanks a lot Tony. The basics are there in the old tool, it needs a little help to bring it out.

On 11/04/2021 at 22:45, davecov said:

Cracking build, Jorgen.

Thanks a lot Dave. It was good seeing you build last year, it brings memories.

On 12/04/2021 at 07:36, JeroenS said:

That looks really very nice Jörgen. I've been skimming your build thread and you worked wonders as usual.

Thanks a lot Jeroen, you are most kind.

On 12/04/2021 at 08:56, Vesa Jussila said:

Absolute beauty, paint is really nice again.

Thanks a lot Vesa. I'm happy with the paint; shiny but not too much.

On 12/04/2021 at 09:11, keefr22 said:

I'm running out of things to say about these beauties you are building, so I'm going to cheat and repeat what I said about your Hino!

"Another little gem Jörgen, beautifully built and finished model!" :)

Thanks a lot Keith, glad you like them.

On 12/04/2021 at 14:14, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't aware that some were built in the UK.

Thanks a lot. Yes they were assembled in Acton for a few years, I think 1960 may have been the last year.

On 12/04/2021 at 20:05, Pete in Lincs said:

It's gorgeous. 

Your next project could have a VR6 in the middle..... (well you did say you had a few spare kits :laugh:

Thanks a lot Pete.

I do have more Dauphine kits, but that's a bit much for me, I'd go with something a bit more classic I think 😎

On 12/04/2021 at 21:52, Toftdale said:

Stunning build, I would never have believed its humble origins unless I had seen your WIP

Thanks a lot for your kind praise.

23 hours ago, peekay said:

Beautifully done, never seen another build of this kit that comes close.

Thanks a lot, glad you like the result.

20 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Incredibly well done! Brings back fond memories for me of rides to high school in my friend Gary’s Dauphine. I got warmed up for first period on some days when he would put me to work helping to push start it when it would die at a stop sign. Your build inspires me to try to locate one or two of those great old 1/32 Aurora sports car kits that I recall buying for half a US dollar at the Woolworths in my youth.

Thanks a lot John, glad to bring some memories.

I don't think I ever did something from Aurora 1/32 line myself.

14 hours ago, Viking said:

Really lovely, what a super job you did on it.

I remember seeing this on the newsagents twirly rack, in the original bagged kit back in the early 60's when I was a kid. I always wanted on but never had enough money, so it is great to finally see one built at last!

Thanks a lot John. Those were the days; racks with bag kits at the news agent 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1