The 'Texaco Fokker' or, "You can trust your plane to the man who wears a star."

John Masters

Ok.  Ha!  Here's a model of a Fokker DVII...

51109194142_060686cea0_c_d.jpg

And I knew I had these amazing decals from @Mika Jernfors at Arctic...

51109506799_4aeee03445_c_d.jpg

And there is a discrepancy regards g the colour...I'll let you all choose...I know, the kit doesn't match what Mika designed the decals fr, but I think it will be alright.  

51109759876_f2ef118fe1_c_d.jpg

And Mika has written out this excellent short history of the aircraft, so I'll let him tell you...Thanks @Mika Jernfors

51109759861_445d37557d_c_d.jpg

And, as he says there are excellent photos on-line--not a lot, but good ones.

51109673968_d574c2aab1_c_d.jpg

51110546235_c97bb695d7_c_d.jpg

51110546160_d978ab7dfc_c_d.jpg

51109768506_dfcf3edb4b_o_d.png

So I will be streeeeetching the fuselage and making this MAC kit into a two-seater.  I could cheat.  I have a resin 2-seater from Belgium in the stash somewhere.  Maybe I'll build that one too because it's a Sabina aircraft...I'll dig it out tomorrow and see.  

But for this thread, it's scratch time.  And I'll finish some stuff on the bench first!

See you all this weekend!

--John

• Like 16

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have no idea where you get inspiration for these builds but I'm really glad you do !

I'm insane.  No, really...I am attracted to the odd and interesting sometimes.  Speaking of which...there has been little activity from Moa...

5 hours ago, Brad said:

this is rather interesting!

Thanks Brad.  The hard part will be the conversion.  It will be my first attempt at something like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Speaking of which...there has been little activity from Moa...

Sadly Moa was suspended for allegedly making political comments so took his ball and went home.  I miss his wonderful builds.

AW

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

making political comments

Aha...that's what I guessed.  Too bad.  

Not that I am building yet...just some research...The profiles from Arctic are 1/72nd so it is easy to see what modifications I need to make.

I don need to lengthen anything!  The forward cockpit goes where the machine guns went!  That simplifies my life tremendously.  The new cockpit cut-out is in blue.

51111175551_b235e49317_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TimJ said:

I didn't know that there were civilian operated D.VIIs.

A few actually.  Blue Rider has released a couple of excellent sets of decals with both civilian and post-war military aircraft--sometimes with different motors (Packard) so that makes for interesting looking ships.  Omega Models released a double seater resin kit from Belgium that I have somewhere...

• Thanks 1

• John Masters changed the title to The 'Texaco Fokker' or, "You can trust your plane to the man who wears a star."

So far so good.  I haven't built one of these MAC Fokkers in years.  As I recall, it was an easy kit and, luckily, has none of the fit issues of the Roden kit.  

51126572180_a317695f9e_c_d.jpg

I did all of that.  I will be using a tape harness for the seat.  Once I get the rear floor/seat installed I will scratch build a small platform or the passenger seat, add a seat, etc...

The PE pieces...

51125509974_f077ff2dde_c_d.jpg

And the motor and internal pieces all PE'd and assembled...

51126572125_1272c7ce49_c_d.jpg

What of the forward cockpit?  Easy-peasy...

51125760786_4acbff14ea_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

OK.  The cockpit parts have all been 'wooded' and are in one half of the fuselage.  One would think that with all the leftover bits and bobs I have in boxes I could rustle up another seat!  No...in the time it took me to find out this fact, I could have made three new seats.  So I built another.  

51128779050_3fedddb58e_c_d.jpg

Next, I will adjust the top of the wing to show the three fuel tanks that are added.

--John

• Like 6

I used a wee bit of filler here and there.  I also used a piece of Evergreen to close off the gap between the two cockpits.  Don't let me forget to add the windscreens before the top wing!

51132232877_83b2822ed5_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

Texaco and blue do not match in my mind's eye.

No they don't.  I agree.  There is probably an actual FS number for "Texaco Red"...

I am thinking there is a slim possibility it could be green.  The actual Texaco logo from back then is the red star with a green 'T' in the middle.  And green and red are in the same tonal palette and often look the same in black and white images...

Still going for red...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time for some CDL.  I'm not messing about with fancy mixes. I think the Beige looks just fine.

51173914042_da4780997e_c_d.jpg

Looks just fine from here...

51173923097_960364b83a_c_d.jpg

I'll let that dry overnight really well and then mask it all off for the red and the black anti-glare.

--John

• Like 6

Thought I'd forgotten about this, eh?  Not a chance.

I decided to begin the decal stage.  This is tricky.  The Arctic decals are very delicate and so I have decided to not use any solvent at all, not even water-based stuff.

They look absolutely stupendous!  Once they are all on and dry I will apply a very thin layer of water-based varnish to seal them.

Note the scratch built fuel lines on he underside of the wing...brass wire.

51190461139_4f239e9e31_c_d.jpg

-John

• Like 5