Crossair MD-83 ,Big Mac in flight - the "McDonalds" plane Hasegawa 1/200

A quick build for in between as a distraction from my other,bigger,projects.

The Hasegawa kits are always easy and fun builds.

Long I wanted to build this McDonalds plane,but I couldnt find the 1/144 decals that were once available,anymore.

A few weeks ago,I found those 1/200 decals to my surprise.I grabbed them and as I already had a Hasegawa MD-80,started right away with the construction while the decals were on their way.

The model was built in a good hour,I just had to make the stabilizers below the cockpit out of plasticard.Hasegawa's MD-80 kits unfortunately lack them.

After a little sanding,white primer was applied as a base coat for Revell red 31.

4 thin layers of red were applied to get an even gloss red finish.The leading edges and engine inlets were painted with Testors Chrome,engine outlets with burnt metal from Gunze.

2 layers of Gunze Prenium Gloss prior to decalling.

The decals are from "Decales de Guido" ,nicely printed,a bit stiff but with decal softener and patience,they worked.

Another 2 layers of Gunze Premium Gloss to seal everything...done.

I decided to build it gear up,as the kits landing gear and main gear doors are a bit off,the MD-90s that I buit some time ago,look a bit strange with their landing gears,so i better omitted them here.

Some backstory to the real thing,yes...it did exist

1996, Crossair,Hotelplan (a Swiss travel agency) and McDonalds worked together and Crossair painted one of their MD-83s fully red and also the cabin interior was adapted to the McDonalds look.

169 red leather seats were installed as well.

The jet was used on holiday charter flights around the typical tourist destinations such as Las Palmas,Rhodos,Korfu and other mediterranean destinations.

On board,BigMacs,Hamburgers and french fries had been served and for the kids,a visit in the cockpit was also included.

It was a real eyecatcher wherever the "McPlane" called MD-83 appeared.

On with the pics

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22

Hi Alex,

Wow that really is bright!

A 1 hour build, that's crazy! I wouldn't imagine the painting took much longer either, there's not a lot of masking to do.

Would've looked great in 1/144 with some AA windows. Who did the 1/144 decals?

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

Wow that really is bright!

A 1 hour build, that's crazy! I wouldn't imagine the painting took much longer either, there's not a lot of masking to do.

Would've looked great in 1/144 with some AA windows. Who did the 1/144 decals?

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you very much Ian.

Yes,its a very quick build and paintjob.

The model consists of only a few parts,so one gets to the finishing line very quick,which is nice for a change.

The 1/144 decals seemed to be done by DRAW decals as I found out,but it looks they are not available anymore on their homepage.

Alex

3 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

The 1/144 decals seemed to be done by DRAW decals as I found out,but it looks they are not available anymore on their homepage.

From personal experience I can tell you the gentleman who owns and runs Draw Decal is a wonderful person. Write and ask if he would be willing to print a set of the decals you want. His customer service is outstanding and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Your model is gorgeous!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kapam said:

Fantastic!  

Does that come with a side order of fries?  🤪

But seriously, that is a beautifully done model!

:clap2:

Thank you.

Would be nice if there was😁

I remember doing a run of promotional models for the airline when I worked for Pacmin, your model is better!

It is red though isn't it? I always thought that after 2 hours in a cramped tube with everyone eating a Micky D's you would get off stinking of fried food, a lovely start to your holibobs.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Excellent colourful model Alex. I don't build 1/200 but I certainly understand the attraction of the Hasegawa kits.

I might be wrong but I seem to remember Brasil/Gio Decals doing that scheme in 1/144 many years ago.

The thought of building a model in an hour makes my head spin!

Dave G

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent colourful model Alex. I don't build 1/200 but I certainly understand the attraction of the Hasegawa kits.

I might be wrong but I seem to remember Brasil/Gio Decals doing that scheme in 1/144 many years ago.

The thought of building a model in an hour makes my head spin!

Dave G

Thank you Dave.

Would make sense with Brasil/Gio,since mine came from Brasil too.

On my research for the 1/144 decals,I came across a build and the builder stated it as Draw.

On 12/04/2021 at 01:07, SAT69 said:

From personal experience I can tell you the gentleman who owns and runs Draw Decal is a wonderful person. Write and ask if he would be willing to print a set of the decals you want. His customer service is outstanding and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Your model is gorgeous!

That’s correct SAT69! 

Greg from DrawDecal will scale his decals in all the common scales available on request. 
Last month he printed a 1:144 KLM B747-400 decal sheet in 1:72 scale for me, great service as always. 

And @Alex: very nice scheme on your MD-80, well done! 

• Thanks 1