1.72 BOAC Stratocruiser.

TonyW

No pilots aboard or engineer-johnny to fiddle with the switches? That's a bit of a shame. They might just have been visible, but I'm sure the spares box has some suitable candidates if required.

I can't help it, but I keep seeing Ming The Merciless being speared by the large probe, that for all the world, looks like it's attached to the front of a B377.

• Like 2

It has got that look about it Mike. Someone else told me today it looks a bit Dan Dare. It needs Brian Blessed as the Captain for a bit of added volume.

Had the camera battery not let me down, we would be looking at the end of the day summing up pictures now. A description will have to do.

The fuselage windows are all in. They are not really good enough to use as clear parts, suffering from the dreaded pint pot distortion in the centres. They will do as plugs for backing a bit of filler tomorrow. Solid windows and windscreen it is then. 

Engines are drybrushed to bring out a bit of detail and added to the cowls. Prop bosses are fitted and the props assembled awaiting a bit of a clean up.

Wings have been polished with T Cut and the nacelles added. The fit is superb all round. I'm very impressed.

The tail fin has been primed and painted gloss white and should be ready for a polish tomorrow.

It's going to need a fair bit of weight in the nose to hold it down and that's another job for tomorrow. The wheel well and cockpit assembly take up a lot of space up front so going solid with the clear areas gives me a bit more room for weights if I don't have to worry about keeping the cockpit area clear. I want to use the smallest amount of nose weight possible as the undercarriage is a delicate looking set of mouldings and will need a bit of help holding the plane off the ground.

A very productive day.

Tony.

• Like 2

I was hoping to source some aftermarket white metal undercarriage parts for you to give extra weight at the front, but no-ones doing them (yet). I use blue tac as ballast as you can add very precise amounts, so that you can just get the tipping point, plus a teeny bit more, without having to "go large". I've also filled the engine nacelles before now, but you've gone past that stage already.

You're rattling along here, with paint already having been splashed. 👍

Edited by Mike Dean

The Comet looks great, so I'm sure the Stratocruiser will be the like.

Nice kit, but If you intend on building more such beasts you soon will have to search for an airplane hangar :elephant:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Dean said:

I was hoping to source some aftermarket white metal undercarriage parts for you to give extra weight at the front, but no-ones doing them (yet). I use blue tac as ballast as you can add very precise amounts, so that you can just get the tipping point, plus a teeny bit more, without having to "go large". I've also filled the engine nacelles before now, but you've gone past that stage already.

You're rattling along here, with paint already having been splashed. 👍

Have you tried looking for B-29 landing gear? Quite certain they’re the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the camera now back in action, normal service has been resumed.

It's nearly a complete airframe now.  Various bits of brass bar, ball bearings and anything else I could find that had a bit of mass have been crammed into the nose with a wad of milliput pushed into it all to keep it there. The fuselage join edges have been reinforced with plastic strip and the whole lot clamped into position for an overnight set. The canopy area is also fixed now. It's a near perfect fit for the fuselage halves but it takes a bit of care to get everything lined up. I'm glad I fixed everything in one hit as I think I would have had problems had I left the canopy until tomorrow.

Everything is propped together for the picture, the sub assemblies all still need a bit of work.

20210418-172814.jpg

Jobs for tomorrow include cleaning up any seams, painting the wheels and filling the window recesses flush with the fuselage. If I'm lucky a bit of primer might make an appearance on the topsides.

So far, so good...

• Like 17

And Tony hits the ground RUNNING... ‼️

I see one of the wings has had a test out with some magic powder already. I took a bit of interest in the type when I was doing the 1.144 Minicraft kit. I remember, with the fuselage in hand and the clear cockpit dome in place, it suddenly reminded me of the 2001 spaceship, you know, with Hal on board 

Later.... Aha here we are, 

Found it. 

IMG_20200520_214523

Just open the door, Hal....! 

"I'm afraid I can't do that...." 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 11

41 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Blimey you don't muck about!!

Ha!

It's been brewing for well over a year, so there's a bit of stored momentum playing out here.

It's also a joy to build, the engineering that has gone into the parts really is good. Everything clicks together in a very satisfying way. Not idiot proof, but not far off either. Nice big parts make handling easy as well. In some ways I find building a big model much easier than a small one. 

• Like 1

A fairly productive day today, with a bit done on the plane and the beginnings of a base for it started.

The baseboard that was intended for a Ford Dealership building over in the Anything but Plastic GB got repurposed into a bit of 1948 Heathrow Airport. New card top, grid ruled off and various spray applications along with a bit of scenic grass see's me heading in the right direction.

20210419-132440.jpg

20210419-133403.jpg

I've edged the base with car accessory chrome trim. Chromed plastic with a sticky back, on a roll. Bought for something else altogether, it's getting a try out here. It doesn't feel like a quality item and I'm expecting it to fall off at some point. Cheap for a reason, eh? It looks good at the moment. That will have to do for now, maybe I'm wrong and it will outlast me. We shall see...

20210419-134846.jpg

I want a bit of space around the plane in an attempt to portray the openness of the early Heathrow site. I have a couple of BOAC vehicles on the way and they need a bit of room around them to not look too crammed together. The picture right back at the start of the thread is the kind of look I would like. I doubt I will be able, or want to, add loads of figures but a few will definitely make an appearance. I want busy but sparse, if that makes any sense.

20210419-154749.jpg

I've also made a start on the Heston Steps. The Academy kit has no apparent access doors so a bit of research this evening is in order. I need to find out where the doors were and how they opened. The steps can then be built to fit the door opening.

No internal detailing planned, a black interior and a Stewardess in the opening will do just fine for me.

The steps will be built to fit 

Last job before knock off this evening was to load up the fuselage windows and a couple of raised seams with filler. Rubbing down can wait 'till the morning.

• Like 13

There's a main door on the port side where you'd expect it and you hinted at in the general arrangements picture, but there's another on the starboard side that may be of interest...?? 

See if this link works, 

https://images.app.goo.gl/XwiT2GCLcHbgW6vj6

Also if you need a Plan B for the base edge you could try my old favourite, the sticky Ali tape much loved by builders and plumbers. Actual metal rather than enhanced plastic. 

Love the projected plan that you can already see in your mind - this is going to look tremendous 😇

• Thanks 1

Some nice home movie video of the passenger steps and entry door on the port side aft here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUvuqR2-M7M

There doesn't appear to be a door on the port side for'ard. The picture that Rob posted above appears to show the some kind of entrance on the starboard side to the Snack Bar and lounge.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the links and suggestions, all good stuff.

The fuselage has been sanded down and re-primed. There's a couple of tiny boo boo's to deal with, then it gets some proper paint.

20210420-091702.jpg

20210420-103532.jpg

The car in the background of the top picture is a Revell '48 Ford being done as an early Custom. By a remarkable coincidence, the second picture shows the Stratocruiser on the hood of the real deal, taking the rays. The big one is sat outside my model shed, waiting on me to give it some attention. Both are a long way from completion. I'm on safe ground saying the model will be finished a very long time before the real one.

I've also been digging out some old magazines from the period to see what might be of use.

I have a full run of The Aeroplane magazine from 1944 to about 1965. I bought them years ago from a guy who took the magazine every week from his first weeks wages as an apprentice right up until he got married and bought a house. They still look brand new. He wanted them kept complete and the money paid was just a token to him. They are safe with me.

It's easy to immerse yourself in the times with the magazines, and what times they were! The Aeroplane was a bit full on Britain is Best in its outlook and the BOAC order for Stratocruisers got a rather chilled reception. Nothing outright hostile, but you needed a warm coat to read the articles I've found so far.

There's a six page article on the Stratocruiser in the Jan 10th 1948 issue. BOAC and its order for six get one line in it.

Issue is taken with the height of the tail, both on aesthetic grounds and on aerodynamic ones. Difficulties with fitting it into hangers is gone into, which reminded me of the Stirling wingspan deal. .

One very interesting point is raised. The article makes specific mention of Boeings work on pressurised planes and how a round section was used whenever possible as it was the strongest section to use. It pointed out how stresses could cause failure of parts after repeated load cycles. The Comet was not far away from it's first flight at this point.

The magazine seemed torn in two directions as these covers hopefully show. The prospect of advanced flying wing aircraft and all new jet age concepts was expected and looked forward to, as long as things were Brit led of course. The SARO Princess and Bristol Brabazon were the way forward, if a little late in appearing. The Americans were unsportingly getting in front. Blighters!

Then there was a distinct longing for the perceived past to be still here. Warm and nostalgic pictures abound in the adverts on the covers and inside. 

20210420-102425.jpg

Things were looking up all round, if only it would all pan out as expected.

20210420-102823.jpg

20210420-102505.jpg

Reality was somewhat different though. Here's Northolt Aerodrome as it was in 1947. The wide open, somewhat basic nature of the place is what I'm after with my build.

20210420-102549.jpg

Very interesting times indeed. I'll be going through more magazines over the course of the build and will add relevant, and even not so relevant material as I come across it.

Tony.

• Like 9

More sanding and priming, followed by a few hours in the sun. The Savage build also currently underway also got a look in. White primer this time, top coats are getting closer. About time too!

20210421-125955.jpg

The Stratocruiser got a few coats of gloss white just now, and it's getting left until tomorrow to harden.

20210421-130036.jpg

20210421-133450.jpg

Work has begun on polishing up the wings. More to see how good my prep work is rather than finish work. There are a few areas that need attention but nothing to serious. I've used some C1 Metalizing Buffing Powder here. It's darker than S 'n J but it is available. S 'n J isn't and I'm trying to ration the stuff I have here. The intention is to use the C1 underneath the plane as its darker tone can hopefully depict polished metal in shadow. Once I started putting the stuff on I couldn't resist doing the whole cowls. A moral booster if nothing else.

20210421-135603.jpg

I'll be polishing in the brighter powder on the topsides later. 

The wheels and tires got some attention as well. Satin black followed by a bit of metal polish with some paint detailing later. The tires (not tyres, it's an American plane)got painted very dark grey and will get a bit of drybrushing in a lighter shade later.

And to finish for the day, these Oxford Miniature die cast accessories turned up, reporting for airfield duty. They are1.76 scale, but I won't tell if you won't. There's not a lot in it really. 

20210421-142005.jpg

More as it happens.

Tony.

• Like 18

This is great. My Dad flew out to Americee in one of these, on his way out to Christmas Island. He has an old postcard which shows one in flight, and, like your magazines earlier, looks very nostalgic now. I like the accessories you have now too.

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

A bright and sunny morning greets me today. The shed is calling, along with about a hundred other jobs about the place. It looks like a bit of industrial pottering is on the cards.

Yesterday was similar, and the Stratocruiser did manage to get a bit of attention.

A couple of runs in the white gloss were dealt with, a quick rub down and re-coat went smoothly.

The wings both needed filler on the trailing edges. Sanding and polishing them is one of todays jobs.

A possible big problem has appeared. I tried part of the decal sheet on the canopy glass area. I cut one window out and wet it, only to see it fall apart. Not good, especially with those huge fin decals looking at me. I've clear coated both sheets and also scanned the sheets just in case. Fingers crossed.

20210422-165235.jpg

I tried  painting in the windows and it looks like it will work OK. I might try using a fade from blue to dark grey rather than solid grey, but that will be for later.

I've also been digging around for a few passengers and crew for the base. The early Airfix Heron and Dakota have a couple of likely looking figures. A bit wooden looking, but careful positioning might reduce that a bit. I've ordered some Dart Castings figures as well, they should be here within the week if previous orders are anything to go by. 

The bus looks a bit small in the picture but the figures scale OK against the entry door, it's the camera telling lies.

20210422-101451.jpg

The internet has provided a few good reference pictures of the doors on the plane. Passenger, crew and hold doors all look reasonably easy to scratch build so the fuselage may well get a few cutouts inflicted on it soon. I'll leave the paint to harden completely before I attempt any surgery though. I didn't make the cutouts before paint as I find spray paint goes on a bit thin around edges and sometimes gives a wavy reflection. I want this one smooth as the metal polish will show every imperfection going. Two ways of doing the same job, each with plusses and minuses.

More later.

• Like 11

On 4/17/2021 at 1:16 PM, TonyW said:

A bigger shed would be nice, a bigger bench is essential!  My regular sitting down bench isn't big enough to comfortably work on this one, so I'm standing up at my long bench to work. It's very comfortable and I can't think why I haven't used it like this before.

Here's the shed, the build is taking place from the left side, long bench. 

20200724-195645.jpg

The cockpit has been assembled minus the seats and then tried with the canopy. Despite it looking nice and bright and clear in there, once the roof and about half the rest of the clear part is painted, there won't be a whole lot of light getting in there. I'll plod along with it for now but I'm not going to get too involved with detailing the cockpit area.

20210417-104503.jpg

20210417-104844.jpg

The wings and tail assemblies are glued up and drying as is the nosewheel well. The wing braces are glued in on one side as well. The fit and finish of all this lot has been superb. Lovely engineering from Academy.

20210417-111823.jpg

And the inevitable comparison with the Airfix B29 has taken place. It had to happen.

20210417-123142.jpg

20210417-122855.jpg

It's not just a job of adding another tube on top of the B29 fuselage! The wing shapes are pretty much identical, but they are now holding up a very much bigger fuselage. The fin is huge compared with the B29 one. It was hard work putting the B29 back in the box, thoughts of a side by side build crossed my mind but I had a word with myself and put it all away.

Just before coming back into the house to post this lot, I painted the Stratocruiser engines black. They are out in the sun drying off awaiting further work, as are all the other parts so far assembled. 

Half a day into the build and I'm not only making good headway but also enjoying things immensely. Let's see what the rest of the day brings...

Tony.

I want one! I'm referring to the modelling shed of course! I'm sat at the dining room table doing mine with continual disapproving comments from the wife about how untidy it is :)

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey! Nearly page four through lack of updates. I'll have to sort myself out a bit.

I've walked away from the build for a while, it was starting to get to me from a few different directions.

Two steps forward, two steps back means I'm a bit dead in the water at the moment.

I've got to the point where I have boxed myself in a bit.

I'm not sure how to move things on. The fuselage has been masked and the lower side polished with my trusty S' n J powder. Polishing over white seems like it's not such a good idea, it's a bit see through and thin. It only shows in some lights and unfortunately I didn't notice it until after I tried the decals on one side. I polished over white as I thought it would give the brightest finish. It seems polishing over grey gives the best effect.

The deals are beautifully printed but fall apart a bit too easily to be called a success. This is despite a clear coat or two beforehand. Having applied them and making them fit as best I could to one side means I have two problems now. Firsts, how do I re-polish the lower sides now the decals are in the way. The polishing powder gets everywhere. Then, will the rest of the decals behave? 

There's also going to be a juggling match getting the wings and tail surfaces added without marking the rather fragile polishing powder. I can polish first and hope for a good fit or I can fit and then polish. This is without thinking about adding the undercarriage with all its fragile bits and bobs getting in the way. It's hard to figure out the best way forward, but I'll get there in the end.

The base is starting to seem a bit too big. I'll be having a think about reducing it a bit to try to get things more in balance.

The passengers look OK other than the old figures looking a bit wooden against the newer castings. A few more vehicles have arrived to fill some some space as well. It's getting there.

I'm trying out a few different setups to see how things look before any final decision is made.

I'll take a break for a day or two and things will sort themselves out a bit in the meanwhile.

20210430-151916.jpg

20210430-151936.jpg

20210430-151951.jpg

20210430-152021.jpg

• Like 15

Let's hope the little elves get to work tonight while you're sleeping and knock things into shape.... 😎😅

Several dilemmas lined up in series here Tony. One good thing about the  builder's Ali tape that I use is that it's tough as old boots once it's on, but the S&J stuff is a bit more vulnerable I guess. 

The Decal thing is irritating but looks great so far.... That must be the biggest /trickyist of them done already? 

"Best of luck" sounds a bit trite but I'm hoping for this 👍☘️

Thanks Rob,

The decals look better in the pictures than in real life, especially the nose wraparound bit. The tail decal cracked quite badly and a bit on the top of the tail refused to cooperate altogether. I suspect I'll bite the bullet and paint the stripes and tail rather than put up with less than satisfactory decals. I'm out of masking tape at the moment, I'll be ordering some today.

I tried the builders metal foil tape after your suggestion regarding using it for base edging. It shows a lot of promise used there.

It seems a bit thick compared to S 'n J and its got a bit of grain to it that doesn't quite work for me in this scale. Mind you, a coat of paint is thick compared to S 'n J. It's good stuff though and I don't doubt there will be a ton of uses for it over time. Cheap as chips as well!

• Like 1