1/72 Welsh Models Vickers Viscount.

16 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Decades before, Aurora made two Airliners.

There was the Boeing 737 - 100 (early version with different engines)

and the Douglas DC-9 - 10

Now available from Atlantis.

Tommo.

On 14/04/2021 at 23:47, Admiral Puff said:

Whoever thinks that 1:72 airliners don't sell isn't looking hard enough ...

If everybody who has contributed to this thread bought two 1/72 of a said airliner kit, it does not make a market for them.  There is an interest yes, but its small one and that should not be confused as market. It is all about selling kits in sufficient quanties, particularly for the investment required for an injection moulded styrene kit. That market is clearly not there, or also all the major airliners in the last 60/70 years would be available in 72 from various manufacturers.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
On 15/04/2021 at 08:10, Eric Mc said:

1/72 airliners generally don't sell in large numbers - UNLESS they can also be released in military markings too.

Of course, it depends on what is meant by "sells well" and, most importantly, it is also important to understand that sales volumes on their own are absolutely meaningless.

Producing kits is a commercial activity  - so the intention of every kit manufacturer is to sell sufficient numbers of any one kit for the kit to - 

Therefore, producing slightly less commercial mainstream kits is more viable for a short run injection moulded kit than for a mainstream manufacturer. as they don't have to sell so many to recover their investment costs and, hopefully, generate a profit. 

The other point is, Airfix will be far more consious of the price point a kit sells for, the likes of Valom less so.

Tommo.

Dipping my toe back into the cauldron, my interest is purely in 1/144 th. Simply put for starters the scale lends itself more to airliners than any other scale  . The widebodies are admittedly large models and have been well catered for generally. It is the feeder market that has suffered over the years e.g. Comet , Caravell , ATR's , DeHavilland, Shorts, etc.

Tin hat in hand! 🙃

Keith

13 hours ago, Britman said:

Dipping my toe back into the cauldron, my interest is purely in 1/144 th. Simply put for starters the scale lends itself more to airliners than any other scale  . The widebodies are admittedly large models and have been well catered for generally. It is the feeder market that has suffered over the years e.g. Comet , Caravell , ATR's , DeHavilland, Shorts, etc.

Tin hat in hand! 🙃

Keith

Comet , Caravelle, ATR's , Shorts, etc are all available in 1/144.

Not sure what de Havillands you are referring to - do you mean the de Havilland Canada Dash 7 and 8? The Comet would never have been looked on as a "feeder" airliner. After all, as far back as 1958 BOAC were operating them across the Atlantic - and the first Comet 1 service in 1952 was London to Johannesburg.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Comet , Caravelle, ATR's , Shorts, etc are all available in 1/144.

Not sure what de Havillands you are referring to - do you mean the de Havilland Canada Dash 7 and 8? The Comet would never have been looked on as a "feeder" airliner. After all, as far back as 1958 BOAC were operating them across the Atlantic - and the first Comet 1 service in 1952 was London to Johannesburg.

I fear I have been taken too literally here . Have you tried building some of the "available" kits or paying silly money for a Dash 8 - 400? I have an ATR from F-resin but I wanted to  build straight from the box.

Keith

1 hour ago, Britman said:

I fear I have been taken too literally here . Have you tried building some of the "available" kits or paying silly money for a Dash 8 - 400? I have an ATR from F-resin but I

Keith

Yes on both counts and I believe I have had ended up with nice results too. Airliners are niche and are always going to attract a premium - its the way of the World and I don't see it changing.

Tommo.

9 hours ago, Britman said:

I fear I have been taken too literally here . Have you tried building some of the "available" kits or paying silly money for a Dash 8 - 400? I have an ATR from F-resin but I wanted to  build straight from the box.

Keith

I am currently building six 1/144 airliners. Some are modern, some are short run, some are ancient. I've also built one vac-form 1/144 airliner. All are buildable - with varying degrees of effort and modelling skill.

Italeri released a mainstream ATR 42 a couple of years ago which should be buildable without too much hacking, cutting, filling or sanding.

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, modelldoc said:

The Dash is a simple kit from Hobbycraft,

gave my model new decals:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/15845269917/in/photolist-q9c9GV

modelldoc

It is simple and some way from perfect - I'm currently well on the way with one but a kit to modern standards would be welcome.

There's also the Matchbox/Revell Twin Otter, the Airfix Islander/Defender, Airfix Skyvan, Airfix Heron, Frog/Maquette Herald and Heller/Airfix Dragon Rapide, all on my list for airliners associated with Devon & Cornwall and all elderly to ancient mouldings. A 1/72 DHC-7 would be a nice addition.

Not forgetting the Airfix F-27. There's also the Esci/Italeri version of the same, which COULD have been a great kit ...

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Not forgetting the Airfix F-27. There's also the Esci/Italeri version of the same, which COULD have been a great kit ...

A missed opportunity. Maybe someone like Valom might take a look at the F-27 in 1/72. It has military applications so would fit into their current trend for smaller airliners which also served with various air arms.

4 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

A missed opportunity. Maybe someone like Valom might take a look at the F-27 in 1/72. It has military applications so would fit into their current trend for smaller airliners which also served with various air arms.

I hope they look at the Dash 7 first 😉

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Pretty please, with sprinkles! I'd kill for a decent F-27 kit that didn't need twelve months' work to make it look like an F-27!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

I bet Mach 2 will "come to the rescue" :)

But will probably look like a Herald 😂