1/72 Welsh Models Vickers Viscount.

On 14/04/2021 at 23:47, Admiral Puff said:

Whoever thinks that 1:72 airliners don't sell isn't looking hard enough ...

If everybody who has contributed to this thread bought two 1/72 of a said airliner kit, it does not make a market for them.  There is an interest yes, but its small one and that should not be confused as market. It is all about selling kits in sufficient quanties, particularly for the investment required for an injection moulded styrene kit. That market is clearly not there, or also all the major airliners in the last 60/70 years would be available in 72 from various manufacturers.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On 15/04/2021 at 08:10, Eric Mc said:

1/72 airliners generally don't sell in large numbers - UNLESS they can also be released in military markings too.

Of course, it depends on what is meant by "sells well" and, most importantly, it is also important to understand that sales volumes on their own are absolutely meaningless.

Producing kits is a commercial activity  - so the intention of every kit manufacturer is to sell sufficient numbers of any one kit for the kit to - 

Therefore, producing slightly less commercial mainstream kits is more viable for a short run injection moulded kit than for a mainstream manufacturer. as they don't have to sell so many to recover their investment costs and, hopefully, generate a profit. 

The other point is, Airfix will be far more consious of the price point a kit sells for, the likes of Valom less so.

Tommo.

Dipping my toe back into the cauldron, my interest is purely in 1/144 th. Simply put for starters the scale lends itself more to airliners than any other scale  . The widebodies are admittedly large models and have been well catered for generally. It is the feeder market that has suffered over the years e.g. Comet , Caravell , ATR's , DeHavilland, Shorts, etc.

Tin hat in hand! 🙃

Keith

13 hours ago, Britman said:

Dipping my toe back into the cauldron, my interest is purely in 1/144 th. Simply put for starters the scale lends itself more to airliners than any other scale  . The widebodies are admittedly large models and have been well catered for generally. It is the feeder market that has suffered over the years e.g. Comet , Caravell , ATR's , DeHavilland, Shorts, etc.

Tin hat in hand! 🙃

Keith

Comet , Caravelle, ATR's , Shorts, etc are all available in 1/144.

Not sure what de Havillands you are referring to - do you mean the de Havilland Canada Dash 7 and 8? The Comet would never have been looked on as a "feeder" airliner. After all, as far back as 1958 BOAC were operating them across the Atlantic - and the first Comet 1 service in 1952 was London to Johannesburg.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Comet , Caravelle, ATR's , Shorts, etc are all available in 1/144.

Not sure what de Havillands you are referring to - do you mean the de Havilland Canada Dash 7 and 8? The Comet would never have been looked on as a "feeder" airliner. After all, as far back as 1958 BOAC were operating them across the Atlantic - and the first Comet 1 service in 1952 was London to Johannesburg.

I fear I have been taken too literally here . Have you tried building some of the "available" kits or paying silly money for a Dash 8 - 400? I have an ATR from F-resin but I wanted to  build straight from the box.

Keith

1 hour ago, Britman said:

I fear I have been taken too literally here . Have you tried building some of the "available" kits or paying silly money for a Dash 8 - 400? I have an ATR from F-resin but I

Keith

Yes on both counts and I believe I have had ended up with nice results too. Airliners are niche and are always going to attract a premium - its the way of the World and I don't see it changing.

Tommo.

9 hours ago, Britman said:

I fear I have been taken too literally here . Have you tried building some of the "available" kits or paying silly money for a Dash 8 - 400? I have an ATR from F-resin but I wanted to  build straight from the box.

Keith

I am currently building six 1/144 airliners. Some are modern, some are short run, some are ancient. I've also built one vac-form 1/144 airliner. All are buildable - with varying degrees of effort and modelling skill.

Italeri released a mainstream ATR 42 a couple of years ago which should be buildable without too much hacking, cutting, filling or sanding.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, modelldoc said:

The Dash is a simple kit from Hobbycraft,

gave my model new decals:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/15845269917/in/photolist-q9c9GV

modelldoc

It is simple and some way from perfect - I'm currently well on the way with one but a kit to modern standards would be welcome.

There's also the Matchbox/Revell Twin Otter, the Airfix Islander/Defender, Airfix Skyvan, Airfix Heron, Frog/Maquette Herald and Heller/Airfix Dragon Rapide, all on my list for airliners associated with Devon & Cornwall and all elderly to ancient mouldings. A 1/72 DHC-7 would be a nice addition.

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Not forgetting the Airfix F-27. There's also the Esci/Italeri version of the same, which COULD have been a great kit ...

A missed opportunity. Maybe someone like Valom might take a look at the F-27 in 1/72. It has military applications so would fit into their current trend for smaller airliners which also served with various air arms.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

A missed opportunity. Maybe someone like Valom might take a look at the F-27 in 1/72. It has military applications so would fit into their current trend for smaller airliners which also served with various air arms.

I hope they look at the Dash 7 first 😉

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Pretty please, with sprinkles! I'd kill for a decent F-27 kit that didn't need twelve months' work to make it look like an F-27!

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I might be getting on for a year late on this conversation (sorry!) but I've approached Airfix a few times over recent years, suggesting they produce an H.S.Trident in 1:72, especially given its unique place in history with regard to the development of automatic 'blind' landing systems, as well as other innovative designs that today are commonplace on the world's airliners. Airfix certainly didn't indicate to me that it was a ridiculous suggestion, so never say never!  I note that Authentic Airliners released a brand new and accurate Trident in 1:144 a few years ago, with talk that a 1:72 version could be coming... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I've had a go at the Airfix Vintage Classics repops of the HS125 and the HP Jetstream. The HP is the infamous USAF version that never was but good practice on scratching the engines. The 125 needs cutting and hacking under the fuselage..... Good (cheap) fun though. 

Heller Connie's, DC3s everywhere, Williams C46, Lockheed Lodestar, and L14 Super Electra from a Hudson. 

Oooh, and the old Matchbox Norseman! 

I was hoping that Airfix would redo the BN Islander but no sign so far 😕

Well, we can live in hope..... And make do with what we can find 

• Like 1

Often wondered about the progress of the Viscount too. I exchanged a few messages with Densil as he was asking me which era of BAF decals would be the best choice to include with the kit. I naturally suggested the classic "Bumble Bee" BAF livery. Apparently, there was also a HP Herald in the pipline too. I really hope both materialise as these are two types I would love to have in 1/72. All in lovely BAF colours too. Well, I am a Southend lad after all.

• Like 3

It would be nice to have a 800 series Viscount, Densil does some great stuff, but I am not a fan of resin parts on his kits, I would much prefer his kits have vacform Fuselage and wings, and the engines and other smaller stuff in resin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would just like to build something out of the box with multiple colour schemes and not spend my time trying to improve a basic kit . I can make a  good job on the F-RESIN ATR and others that lack a bit of finess, but why should I. I have been modelling for over fifty odd years and find one of the biggest aviation sectors graced with less than adequate efforts from a miriad of manufacturers and those that may be good cost to much to consider doing multiples.

Keith

8 hours ago, Britman said:

and find one of the biggest aviation sectors graced with less than adequate efforts from a miriad of manufacturers

It's this infernal obsession with guns, bombs and missiles!! Military hardware and killing machines. It pervades the hobby. I even picked up a little Citroën Traction Avant saloon car in 1.48 and Tamiya market it as a German military staff car! WHAT...?? 

I've just started tinkering with a little Lockheed L10 Electra and apart from the "Amelia's plane" option, the other 3 Decal options are for military camouflage schemes. 

Depressing and an infuriating waste. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

It's this infernal obsession with guns, bombs and missiles!! Military hardware and killing machines. It pervades the hobby. I even picked up a little Citroën Traction Avant saloon car in 1.48 and Tamiya market it as a German military staff car! WHAT...?? 

Unfortunately for those of us with civil leanings, military is what sells. 

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've just started tinkering with a little Lockheed L10 Electra and apart from the "Amelia's plane" option, the other 3 Decal options are for military camouflage schemes. 

Depressing and an infuriating waste. 

Is it? The kit most likely exists because there are military options, plus there is a civil option included which may tempt some modellers who do so to finish their model in a non military scheme. Then there a aftermarket civil decals available for the die hard civil modeller. Surely a military model with civil options is a better option than no model or a very limited run/availability option?

• Like 1