1/72 Welsh Models Vickers Viscount.

Why not drop Densil a line, I have always found he will get back to one with an update. That will be far better than speculation on an internet forum. Just sayin', like.

That said, I suspect you have answered your own question.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

15 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

, Densils' kits are streets ahead in accuracy.

You can say that. The underside centre section of 'his' 1/72 Comet kits are a work of art. It s very complex set of compound curves and he nailed it big time!

Tommo.

• Like 2

It’s a shame that Airfix could not produce the Viscount in 1/72 as it’s not that bigger plane, at least it would be accurate and there still plenty of them around to use LIDAR on, Denzils kits are OK, his Vanguard  though has some distinctive missing vents on the outer engine underneath though 

• Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 12:18, kev67 said:

It’s a shame that Airfix could not produce the Viscount in 1/72 as it’s not that bigger plane, at least it would be accurate and there still plenty of them around to use LIDAR on, Denzils kits are OK, his Vanguard  though has some distinctive missing vents on the outer engine underneath though 

Airfix have not produced a new airliner kit in 1/144 in 40 years (let alone one in 1/72) and they have not been forthcoming re-issuing their extensive 1/144 Skyking range in the intervening years either. To the point I'm surprised they have not sold thier moulds.

There is zero chance Airfix manufacturing a new tool 1/72 airliner kit.

Tommo.

• Like 1

I attended a talk by Airfix a few years ago and they stated categorically that they had no intention of releasing any new airliner kits in 1/72 or 1/144. As far as 1/144 is concerned, they felt that there were too many other manufacturers now in the market and 1/72 airliner kits just don't sell in sufficient numbers to make them commercially viable.

• Thanks 1

In my humble opinion I would beg to differ with the Airfix point of view. There are so many gaps in the airliner market that need filling with a modern and reasonable priced product. I could throw many suggestions at this but I would say this to Airfix, with your new style of model design I think this could be a great opportunity.

Keith

• Like 2

Write to them. 

Maybe you could you list the gaps in the market Airfix might be able to fill i.e. what 1/144 airliner models are missing that would sell in sufficient numbers for Airfix to be interested?

• Like 2

But you've got to have some dreams otherwise it would be an endless procession of Luftwaffe & Spitfire single seaters. (meh!) 

At least Valom Zvezda etc are catering for our civilian whims at the minute long may it continue. 

regards

Eamonn

• Like 1

Zvezda are doing good stuff. Valom are producing decent 1/72 military transports that can "double up" as airliners e.g. - Twin Pioneer, Viking etc.

Smaller civil transports are ideal for 1/72.

The big areas that is massively ignored by kit manufactures are General Aviation and Business Jets - although gradually we are seeing some of the gaps being filled. 

On 13/04/2021 at 07:14, Britman said:

In my humble opinion I would beg to differ with the Airfix point of view. There are so many gaps in the airliner market that need filling with a modern and reasonable priced product. I could throw many suggestions at this but I would say this to Airfix, with your new style of model design I think this could be a great opportunity.

Keith

Easy to say when one is not putting the capital up and not taking the risk. Its very clear from what Airfix say and their actions they have almost no interest in getting involved in the airliner market save the odd and infrequent repop from thier back catalogue. Hence my comment up thread, that I'm surprised they have not sold on their moulds to the Skyking range.

There maybe gaps in the airliner/civil market however, Airfix are clearly of the view that is for someone else to tacke, which others slowly are - with the likes Amodel, Valom and Roden. I venture one of the reasons the aforementioned appear expensive is in part to offset the lack of mass market appeal and consquential relatively low sales in comparison to miltary types.

Tommo.

• Like 1

I have two Mach 2 Viscounts on the go, one a straight 700 and the other an 800 conversion, both to be in Australian markings (of course!). They're bloody hard work, and I'd kill for a decent 1:72 kit. If Airfix won't oblige, I'd be more than happy for Valom to fill the gap - and I'd probably buy more than two. Whoever thinks that 1:72 airliners don't sell isn't looking hard enough ...

1/72 airliners generally don't sell in large numbers - UNLESS they can also be released in military markings too.

Of course, it depends on what is meant by "sells well" and, most importantly, it is also important to understand that sales volumes on their own are absolutely meaningless.

Producing kits is a commercial activity  - so the intention of every kit manufacturer is to sell sufficient numbers of any one kit for the kit to - 

a) make sufficient profit to cover the investment in the cost of the tooling and other production costs and

b) eventually make sufficient profit so that the owners of the business can make a living from their business activity

The first hurdle is clearing the tooling costs - and these will vary massively depending on the techniques being used to make the moulds. Airfix is a mainstream manufacturer so its tooling and mould costs will be much higher than for a short run manufacturer like Valom. Therefore, Airfix needs to sell a lot more kits from an individual mould to cover their tooling costs than Valom would. Without knowing the actual figures (which would be commercially sensitive anyway), I would not be surprised that a company like Airfix or Revell would need to produce around 10,000 to 15,000 kits from a mould to cover the moulding costs where Valom might achieve this goal after a run of around 2,000. Therefore, producing slightly less commercial mainstream kits is more viable for a short run injection moulded kit than for a mainstream manufacturer. as they don't have to sell so many to recover their investment costs and, hopefully, generate a profit. 

The good aspect about the current era is that many short run kits are not too far off the standards of more traditional injection moulded kits

• Like 5

Decades before, Aurora made two Airliners.

There was the Boeing 737 - 100 (early version with different engines)

and the Douglas DC-9 - 10

Both are hard to find, the Douglas was for a time in the Atlantis portfolio.

Here is the Boeing with 26 decals (special order):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/48816827417/in/dateposted/

and the Douglas  with decals from DS-Design, also by special order.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/50330469046/in/dateposted/

modelldoc

The Aurora 737 is a fantasy based on early, speculative drawings of the 737-100, and shape-wise does not fit the bill.  I already divested myself of my copy.  Your more reliable choice is with BPK for the -100.

The Aurora DC-9 is a good basis for a DC-9 but requires lots of investment and advanced model skills to make right.  For example, you need to extend the wing tips and alter their trailing edge contours, modify the horizontal stabs, add a wing-body fairing, and add various other devices to the wing, such as the "potato chips" at the leading edge and the vordilons underneath the wing.  The landing gear are simplifications of the real thing, and need all sorts of detail.

• Like 1