1/144 Authentic Airliners Caledonian Airways Boeing 757-200

Although I'm not a fan of the Landor British Airways livery I do quite like their Caledonian Airways scheme . I picked up a copy of the Welsh Models Aerocolours decal from a model show many years ago and have finally got around to building it.

Paint is Revell 371 for the Pearl Grey and Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue which I think works well for Landor Blue. Halfords Racking Grey was used for the Boeing Grey and Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium for the wing and engine leading edges. Coroguard and white door outlines from the Flying Colors 757 detail decal. 

I'm not too impressed with the decals as they have silvered a bit possibly due to their age. Had I known this would happen I would have floated them onto a puddle of Future rather than directly onto the paint surface. Hopefully when the Zvezda 757 kit comes out there will be some new Caledonian decals available and I'll remove these and reapply some new ones.   

Until then here are some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it and thanks for looking. Any comments and criticisms gratefully received!

Cheers,

Ian

Ps As a bonus please check out this link

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235091968-pushback-and-start-up-approved-caledonian-2357/

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 48

This is another superb build Ian.

The decals look great as well as the paintjob.

I always liked that Caledonian livery.

I have also Caledonian decals that I plan to use on my AA 757.

Back in 1990 I flew from Zurich via Athens to Mombasa with the Caledonian 757 G-BPEB.

G-BPEA took us back the same route 2 weeks later.

Besides the narrow seating,I guess Caledonian made a full use of the 757s 239 paasenger seats,it was a great flight,which actually made me become the airliner addict that I am today and also a 757 fan.😊

Unfortunately,I never got around to fly 757s since then.😳

Your build brought back some good memories👍

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Alex1978

On 4/11/2021 at 5:56 PM, Turbofan said:

Although I'm not a fan of the Landor British Airways livery......

Fantastic job Ian, but the mods may put you on the naughty step for saying something rude... 😆

Two thumbs up for the model, the paintjob and the vignette by the way :thumbsup2::thumbsup2: 

mike (Looking forward to the Zvezda kit !)

Absolutely fantastic Ian I’ve really been looking forward to seeing this beauty finished! You really can’t go wrong with the AA 757.

Bit of a ‘lump to the throat’ moment as I have many happy memories attached to both the airline and this particular aircraft.

10 out of 10 from me!!

Hi Ian, absolutely superb, lovely model and really nice livery, Marvellous!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers Michael.

as usual a great crafted model! personally i prefer landor over negus but not so much on the caledonian scheme, but i guess english people have a different view on that subject :D anyways, that doesnt impair my view. it really looks great and it looks like a proper 757. the only thing i noticed , and please correct me, if i'm wrong, is the cabin window line seems a tiny bit too high maybe?! or is the the photo angle?

best regards

Hi Ian

I saw you making a passing reference to a Caledonian 757 a couple of weeks ago and it's been well worth waiting for. Another beautifully built and finished AA 757 for your collection. It's going to be very interesting to see how the Zvezda kit compares.

Apart from admiring the model itself it's great to have an "off the shelf" recommendation for the Landor colours. I never understood why Xtracolor did the grey but not the blue. 

Thanks for another inspirational model.

Dave G

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

On 11/04/2021 at 18:10, Alex1978 said:

Unfortunately,I never got around to fly 757s since then.😳

Your build brought back some good memories👍

Glad my model has brought back good memories Alex, I've been luck to fly on many 757s over the years most recently with TUI to Las Palmas a couple of years ago. We were scheduled to fly on a 737-800 so I was very pleased when a 757 was at the gate. Interestingly it was the same aircraft I modelled a year or so earlier!

On 11/04/2021 at 18:10, Alex1978 said:

I have also Caledonian decals that I plan to use on my AA 757.

Are they the Aerocolours or AHS decals? I recommend floating them onto Future.

I hope if any new decals come available for the new Zvezda kit the yellow stripe is double printed on white rather than two layers of decal like this one!

On 11/04/2021 at 20:44, Chanex said:

Bit of a ‘lump to the throat’ moment as I have many happy memories attached to both the airline and this particular aircraft.

Glad to bring back some happy memories Nick.

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Love the 757, sounds very unique. Can always recognise the sound when they fly over climbing out from EMA.

You are lucky to be near EMA as there are still lots of 757s still flying there Adam. Unfortunately they are becoming rarer elsewhere though!

21 hours ago, RCI said:

personally i prefer landor over negus

Hi Sini,

I guess it depends on your age, when I first became interested in airliners BA meant Negus so it's what I identify with. You must be younger than me!

21 hours ago, RCI said:

the only thing i noticed , and please correct me, if i'm wrong, is the cabin window line seems a tiny bit too high maybe?! or is the the photo angle?

I think you are partly correct. But only by about 0.5 - 1mm at the rear of the fuselage. Because the 757 fuselage is deeper behind the wing the windows do seem higher anyway and if I remember correctly there is a step down from the cabin into the cockpit!

12 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Ian

I saw you making a passing reference to a Caledonian 757 a couple of weeks ago and it's been well worth waiting for. Another beautifully built and finished AA 757 for your collection. It's going to be very interesting to see how the Zvezda kit compares.

Apart from admiring the model itself it's great to have an "off the shelf" recommendation for the Landor colours. I never understood why Xtracolor did the grey but not the blue. 

Thanks for another inspirational model.

Dave G

Thanks Dave, yes my 757 collection will accelerate significantly once the Zvezda kit is released, (assuming it's good that is!) as it'll be far cheaper than the AA kit.

I hope you find Tamiya X-3 a good match for Landor Blue let me know what you think if you get a jar. I would have mixed some using your recommendation but didn't have any Xtracolor Oxford Blue.

2 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Wow! Surprising! A statement as amazing as your 757!

Haha, that made me laugh Alan!😆 I take it you're a Landor man? I might contemplate a Landor 757 at some time if Ray reprints his decal but there are loads to do ahead of that though!

• Like 3

That looks pretty good to me.

Like you, I like the Landor scheme least of the three "proper" BA schemes (ignoring the silliness of the Utopia project). Because of my age, I obviously have a soft spot for the original Negus livery,  but I actually quite like the current Chatham Dockyard scheme.

Hi Ian,

my Caledonian decals are from AHS,also with white and yellow stripes.I guess I have the almost 30+ years.

Thank you for the hint for clear coating them first.

Alex

Edited by Alex1978

Thanks for the replies everyone.

On 13/04/2021 at 10:32, Alex1978 said:

Hi Ian,

my Caledonian decals are from AHS,also with white and yellow stripes.I guess I have the almost 30+ years.

Thank you for the hint for clear coatingvthem first.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Hopefully the AHS ones perform better but at 30+ years they might not. Although it won't harm to clear coat them beforehand what I meant was to float them off the backing paper onto the model surface which has a later of still wet Future where the decal is to be positioned. This should prevent any silvering.

On 13/04/2021 at 20:41, PhantomBigStu said:

such a shame  I can’t use it on my upcoming 747.

Stu, maybe you can get Tamiya X-3 in a spray can? If not I think we should have a whip-round and get you an airbrush!

23 hours ago, woody37 said:

That's stunning Ian, what a great scheme to choose too :)

I keep waiting to see a finished A300 from @stringbag, hope he's not using the lead based paint that he last opened 😂

Only joking Chris, need to catch up :)

Thanks Neil, oh yes, I'd forgotten about Chris's A300 it's been so long, he was building a Trident 3 too at one time. I thought now he's retired he'd have finished something! Yes we all need to catch up soon.

Cheers,

Ian

• Haha 1

Just beautiful, Ian...as usual. I have to agree with Dave, as I usually do...the best word here is "inspirational." The 757 is such a beautiful bird, and you have once again captured the beauty by your choice in livery. The Caledonian colors and lines just lend the airplane a classic look that is really unmatched. I'm so glad you made some remarks about the paints used for the BA Landor colors, as I am possibly finishing an AA 777 soon in that livery. Can you elaborate a little on the Humbrol Metalcote Polished aluminum? I really like your bright work on this particular model...just wondering how the Humbrol compares to the Alclad products. 

Nice nice work, indeed. And I've left comment on the "pushback" diorama as well. Just beautiful. Inspiring. Wow.:worthy: