Bright Red Spitfire

When I first went to airshows in the late 70s / early 80s there was a very eye catching bright red Spitfire on show.  Spencer Flack’s G-FIRE stood out from the crowd for me & I always wanted to do G-HUNT and G-FIRE in model form.  So when Airfix released their Mk.XIV kit with G-FIRE decals I had to have one.  Nice enough built too.  Great cockpit detail that you can barely see. There is a great thread on here of advice regarding build & colours too.  Anyway this is how she looks

lHY8i2W.jpg

And this is a picture of her I took at Mildenhall Airfete 82 (I think).  Funnily enough I found a better photo from the same show at the same time on Flickr.  I think the guy with a better camera was stood behind me when I too this.  I was only little at the time!

9GWBcHI.jpg

And a few more of the kit

DLlZu1k.jpg

HM0Ylfm.jpg

B5IG7TO.jpg

YrSdEXn.jpg

Well that is a bit of my childhood recreated.  Thanks for looking

• Like 47
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the kind comments guys

@Head in the clouds. it had to be G-FIRE for me, but a silver clipped wing Griffin Spit would be good too

@Tentacles he red was Humbrol 19 rattle can over a white base.  I did tape off under the stripes & kept those white so the decals would stand out.  Got to get the red & white painting sorted before the Chipmunk comes out later this year!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This look absolutely stunning,  great work and love the photographic backround too, is that on a car?

Chris

No it’s a glass top garden table.  Gets nice reflection off the sky when it’s not trying to snow!  Nearly lost the whole lot in the first photo when the wind lifted the card base 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bar side said:

No it’s a glass top garden table.  Gets nice reflection off the sky when it’s not trying to snow!  Nearly lost the whole lot in the first photo when the wind lifted the card base 

Yes it certainly does have a great reflection,  phew lucky you didn't lose the model in the wind.

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes it certainly does have a great reflection,  phew lucky you didn't lose the model in the wind.

The clouds were looking particularly menacing yesterday

xG9Ef01.jpg

And you can see the idea with a back scene when I don’t crop the picture

R5XKbSj.jpg

• Like 2

I never liked that scheme but you've done a good job on it. One of my mate's heard someone comment to Spencer Flack about how he thought it was an odd choice of colour scheme, to which Flack replied, 'Why - what colour's your Spitfire?' Touché!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A most eye-catching and beautifully built Spitfire.

I'm hard pressed to think of a scheme that would stand out in a collection more than this one.

Excellent!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks guys, glad you like her.  
@Bell209 painting your spitfire red is something that surely appeals to every kid watching an airshow.  Not sure I would be brave enough to do that but I don’t remember bubble top griffon being in great demand compared to high back merlin types.

@kapam yes she will stand out.  Well until I try to make G-HUNT I guess.  I was hoping Airfix might go for the family.  Who know, even G-FURY ( saw her too!)

Cheers @BerndM

@CJP I was luck to be taken to shows as a kid & see G-FIRE, G-HUNT, G-BOOM, G-FURY, the Black Knight (T-33), the Vintage Pair, the BAe Mossie and many more.  So reliving those days in 1/48 form

@Trevor L I get the appeal of a clipped wing Spit - the first Spit I remember was AR501, a clipped wing Vc at Duxford.  She left a lasting impression!

Cheers @Gary Brantley that’s why I remember her so well from airshows as a kid

• Like 2

That looks fantastic and thanks for posting a link via the other thread. You’ve done an excellent job with this kit and she looks brilliant. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That looks fantastic and thanks for posting a link via the other thread. You’ve done an excellent job with this kit and she looks brilliant. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

Cheers Dave the thread helped a lot - cockpit colour, no gun sight, two gun barrels per wing etc.  All good helpful info.

• Like 1

I remember that Spitfire from the early 80's .. that was the first time I saw a Spitfire display, and I was amazed at how fast it was! 

Your build brings back good memories and looks great!

kind regards,

Gerben

• Like 1