American Machine gun Turrets

canberra kid

Yes, please, John! Can't have too many aircraft turret references. I think I have a reference book on aircraft turrets- have to look for it- so many d--- reference books/magazines in my upstairs reference library, the shelves are going to collapse onto the first floor one of these days!

Mike

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Somewhere I thought I had another PDF on US turrets, but I can't find it. The search continues!

Chris

Chris i think this is the one you were thinking of:

http://hangarthirteen.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Index-of-Aeronautical-Equipment-5-Armament.pdf

from an earlier thread:

the link changed but was found again.

Jari

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:23 AM, 72modeler said:

I think I have a reference book on aircraft turrets-

Actually, I found out I have two: US Aerial Armament in WW2, vol. 1, by William Wolf, that covers just U.S. aircraft turrets, gun positions, and fixed guns, as well as  Gunner-An Illustrated History Of WW2 Aircraft Turrets and Gun Positions, by Donald Nijboer, which has detail photos of gun positions from selected aircraft of the USAAF, USN, RAF, Italy, Germany, and the Soviet Union.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Actually, I found out I have two: US Aerial Armament in WW2, vol. 1, by William Wolf, that covers just U.S. aircraft turrets, gun positions, and fixed guns, as well as  Gunner-An Illustrated History Of WW2 Aircraft Turrets and Gun Positions, by Donald Nijboer, which has detail photos of gun positions from selected aircraft of the USAAF, USN, RAF, Italy, Germany, and the Soviet Union.

Mike

Thanks for pointing those out. I have the B-25 and B-29 Ultimate Look books, and find them quite good.