Airfix 1/72 Canberra PR.9

Evil_Toast_RSA

My entry. 

spacer.png

Bought it second hand last year, the box never made it. 

Sprues, to show its not started 😛

20210411_141840

Probably going to build the No.39 Squadron version (Hemp over Light Aircraft Grey). Possibly the all over H.S.S No.58 Squadron, but it's a distant possibility. 

Got a resin seat on the way, should have it before the month is out. Hopefully. 

Roll on the 17th! 

• Like 13

On 11/04/2021 at 13:20, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Probably going to build the No.39 Squadron version (Hemp over Light Aircraft Grey).

I was intending to do that kit in that scheme, even bought some hemp colour paint, but my Gulf War GB F-4 is going slowly, so I wont have time to chop a cranberry around. If I do join this GB it could be with something simpler; no pilot, no cockpit. 😉

Chris

Let's get this party started! 

Started assembling cockpit. Nothing exciting, but bloody hell the sprue attachment points are a tad large. See the parts on the right....

20210417_102545

[EDIT]

And the headscratching rudder panel lines. Why did Airfix do this? 

Before:

20210417_103936

Tamiya Basic + Lacquer Thinner gloop applied:

20210417_104914

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Added info
  • Like 3

Started adding the required 4.7 long tons of weight to keep the model wheels down.

20210417_130929

Smoothed everything over with Milliput to neaten it up (in case it's visible in the tight, hard to see black painted cockpit....) and to help keep everything in place. 

20210417_143728

Due to all the weight, I have a paranoid feeling the nose strut might need help. Added a pin from thick florist wire and drilled a hole in the gear bay. Hope it works...

20210417_203056

Otherwise, been puttering along building sub-assemblies. 

20210417_203105

Small oopsie trimming off the sprue stump on the right wing, need to build up with plasticard. 

• Like 9

Ran into the first serious problem. Fitting the engine exhausts leaves much to be desired. Some plasticard/putty/magic needed, going to puzzle over this and see what I choose. Yes. There's the edge I so enthusiastically sliced off yesterday....

20210418_200108

Cockpit done, some washing and awaiting the resin seat by month end. 

20210418_200149

• Like 10

@Back in the Saddle, right now the rudder is giving me the squirts. On layer 7 of Mr Surfacer, but no matter what I do you can still faintly see the panel lines. Guessing when I sand, the filler is softer than the plastic (Airfix plastic. I know right!) so I'm still sanding it out the lines. Going to try airbrush 20 layers of Mr Surfacer until it goes away. And my wife says I'm stubborn....

Should of used plasticard like I initially wanted too....

• Haha 1

@Evil_Toast_RSA you can just about see the slight depressions in the rudder skins where they're riveted to their frames in certain lighting conditions: I suspect that this is what Airfix were trying to replicate with their "trenches" as there aren't that many pieces of skin in a Canberra rudder.  If you've got shallow depressions you should be OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

My rudder looks like it has the same trenches...🙁

PPP will be used later!

It's the same on the 1/72th and 1/48th kits; the Airfix designers have followed the lines of rivets at each rib position and treated them as skin joints.  Much filler has been expended here on Airfix Canberra rudders with more to follow☹️☹️☹️

Huzzah! Seat painted and installed! 

20210430_211832

And just need to sort out the poor fitting windscreen and some primer can be applied to check for problems. 

Calling it now, the camera bay was a PITA and I'm not finished there. Some heavy duty sanding was needed to get the contour right, and my scribing-fu is weak, so the detail I managed to obliterate has been badly reapplied. 

But clear lenses and lights sanded down to fit, polished and ready to be masked. 

20210430_220205

• Like 8

Okay, primer on and time to sort out all the little mistakes I couldn't see.

- Front fuselage/cockpit insert was a PITA and need to sort out some panel lines.

- Wings need some attention to fill some deep scratches from sanding

- Camera bay came out better than I thought. Huh. Colour me surprised. Thought that entire area needed filler. 

20210502_130948

20210502_130319

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Nice work. I always hate that stage of looking for errors and thinking about flling and sanding again/

I usually motivate myself to get through it by saying it's not decals repeatedly to myself. 

• Like 1

Been a week of filling, sanding, priming,  checking, rinsing and repeating. I've hit the F.I.C.E wall so moving on. 

Black Mr Surfacer applied. 

20210508_121957

And started with the LAG underneath. Vallejo doesn't make a match as far as I'm aware, so used a 1:2 mix of VMA Insignia White (71.279) and Light Gull Grey (71.121), got this suggestion from a thread here on BM somewhere.   

20210508_211953

Tomorrow going to lightly sand (if needed) and do a very thin glaze of straight 71.121. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Added pic
  • Like 9

Got the Hemp down, used VMA 71.023 Hemp/Tan Green. Hope it looks correct? 

20210519_062352

Now need to distress the finish slightly, either using Tamiya Deck Tan or playing Nickleback's Greatest Hits to it, but that might be too extreme... 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hemp done.

Before: 

20210519_205800

After, using thin glazes of Tan Green (71.023) straight and mixed with Beige (71.074) to try break up the green hue a bit. 

20210520_220128

Also, this month I need to pull thumb and get my photo box sorted....

• Like 6