Finding Bismarck, 26 May 1941

Nils

Thanks Michael, the reason I choosed this hard light on this grey atlantic day is that I meant to have the Catalina in the sun up above the clouds. That said, I’ve never been 100% pleased with this one, I might try your suggestions. Thanks

2 hours ago, Nils said:

Thanks Michael, the reason I choosed this hard light on this grey atlantic day is that I meant to have the Catalina in the sun up above the clouds. That said, I’ve never been 100% pleased with this one, I might try your suggestions. Thanks

Good morning Nils! I take your point about the Catalina being above the cloud, but from the relative scale of the ship to the aircraft, the altitude of the latter is only about 1,000’ (300 metres). With such a low cloud base, that in itself doesn’t have much depth, I’m not sure you’d see that much of the ship. A possibly better interpretation would be to reduce the strength of the sunlight on the Catalina, whilst making more of the Bismarck visible, thereby balancing the two together. At the moment there’s too much disparity between aircraft and ship. Another aspect of the composition that you might want to experiment with is using the rule of two thirds; if the aircraft and the ship both loosely conformed within a two-thirds grid (horizontal and vertical), the overall composition might look far more a cohesive whole.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!