453rd Museum build No.1 - Tamiya 1/48 P-51B - Shangri-La

On 5/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, Tcoat said:

Our wheel wells are a bit different but the rest will be very, very close I think! Since you used the earlier kill mark banner then any difference in weathering would easily be attributed to age. Even if it is the difference between a 4 week and 6 week old aircraft. 

It's close enough, once in the museum, i cant see the gear bays getting much notice. It fought back a little yesterday as I snapped the two little lugs holding one the gear doors on so had to make some new ones.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:56 PM, heloman1 said:

Wow Neil, this is speedy for you, Half painted fus, assembly to a set of markings over paint. My gob is well and truly smacked.

Speed builds aren't the norm for you, however great to see.

Colin

lol, everything is relative! Got the Tamiya Lanc sat here half done so need to get back to that, the workbench looks like a hand grenade has been dropped on it depsite tidying it several times!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woody37 said:

It's close enough, once in the museum, i cant see the gear bays getting much notice. It fought back a little yesterday as I snapped the two little lugs holding one the gear doors on so had to make some new ones.

lol, everything is relative! Got the Tamiya Lanc sat here half done so need to get back to that, the workbench looks like a hand grenade has been dropped on it depsite tidying it several times!

We could have just swapped gear doors and just pretended the one you have was damaged in the crash. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:04 PM, Tcoat said:

We could have just swapped gear doors and just pretended the one you have was damaged in the crash. 

Come to think of it, I have a spare kit in the stash! Never mind, I want to build that with a Malcolm hood on.

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking superb woody - and what speed! :) 

Thanks Ced, it's felt quite slow but should be done this weekend :)

Managed to get some oil pigments on it tonight to represent the subtle weathering. I'll add more to the wings using tamiya weathering mud for footprints across the wings shortly, but quite pleased with how it's looking now. There will be some slight chipping too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 minute ago, woody37 said:

Come to think of it, I have a spare kit in the stash! Never mind, I want to build that with a Malcolm hood on.

Thanks Ced, it's felt quite slow but should be done this weekend :)

Managed to get some oil pigments on it tonight to represent the subtle weathering. I'll add more to the wings using tamiya weathering mud for footprints across the wings shortly, but quite pleased with how it's looking now. There will be some slight chipping too.

The variation exiting in the real thing between the few weeks  that passed  as you modeled it and when it crashed are really noticeable now that you have almost finished! The white nose cone and gun port tape from  the earlier version really stand out. Of course mine is more weathered and chipped (not to mention broken into pieces) but those minor changes are well documented!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

The variation exiting in the real thing between the few weeks  that passed  as you modeled it and when it crashed are really noticeable now that you have almost finished! The white nose cone and gun port tape from  the earlier version really stand out. Of course mine is more weathered and chipped (not to mention broken into pieces) but those minor changes are well documented!

Thanks. There's more chipping yet, just trying to get it similar to the photographs. The nose cone is red now, I didn't know it previously had a white one. I was struggling for motivation at first, but this one has grown on me :)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks. There's more chipping yet, just trying to get it similar to the photographs. The nose cone is red now, I didn't know it previously had a white one. I was struggling for motivation at first, but this one has grown on me :)

From what I researched it started white. Then they painted them with some red lacquer they bought at a local shop. After a short time they flew through a storm and they were white again. After that failure they got some insignia red from the RAF and it was red again. For the period that your kill marking cover it could be either white, partially red or completely red and be "proper".

It still floors me that the aircraft was only 8 weeks old when he crashed it. Things changed FAST back then!

8olVPxSUX8DADXhYkySSsIiC7CORuF92GQsi2EH1

PHyo1B_4prcxCU0ECmpxmnP-fieYFtmVHkLlkRsT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Your a dab hand with oils and pastels etc. Neil; Looking really good.

Handsome aeroplane the high back Mustang;  although the bubble canopy ones are doubtless better war machines.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 9:53 PM, Tcoat said:

From what I researched it started white. Then they painted them with some red lacquer they bought at a local shop. After a short time they flew through a storm and they were white again. After that failure they got some insignia red from the RAF and it was red again. For the period that your kill marking cover it could be either white, partially red or completely red and be "proper".

It still floors me that the aircraft was only 8 weeks old when he crashed it. Things changed FAST back then!

8olVPxSUX8DADXhYkySSsIiC7CORuF92GQsi2EH1

PHyo1B_4prcxCU0ECmpxmnP-fieYFtmVHkLlkRsT

Thanks Tony, I wasn't aware, my knowledge on these subjects isn't great so always enjoy learning about the subject from people as the build comes along :) 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:01 PM, Fritag said:

Your a dab hand with oils and pastels etc. Neil; Looking really good.

Handsome aeroplane the high back Mustang;  although the bubble canopy ones are doubtless better war machines.

Thanks Steve, yes, doing this has given me an appetite to do some bubble tops but also want to do my other kit with a Malcolm hood as I much prefer that over the framed one. 

On 5/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, CedB said:

That's looking stunning already Neil, very nice job :) 

Thanks Ced, looking forwards to seeing them all in the museum :)

On 5/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, Hamden said:

Your Mustang looks superb great workmanship!

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger, and you too :)

Bit more done last night so hoping to have it finished today...the weather prevents any outdoory stuff to distract me!

I was going to have the main gear doors down as per instructions but most photo's show them up, presumably they drop as hydraulic pressure drops in the system? I've tried to get the surface sheen as close to what I can see in the photo's and weathering approximate.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 13

You are correct about the u/c doors the inners are closed(except when cycling) but drop as hydrolic pressure bleeds off.

This is looking better and better as the end gets closer

Stay safe                Roger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

Thanks Tony, I wasn't aware, my knowledge on these subjects isn't great so always enjoy learning about the subject from people as the build comes along :) 

Thanks Steve, yes, doing this has given me an appetite to do some bubble tops but also want to do my other kit with a Malcolm hood as I much prefer that over the framed one. 

Thanks Ced, looking forwards to seeing them all in the museum :)

Thanks Roger, and you too :)

Bit more done last night so hoping to have it finished today...the weather prevents any outdoory stuff to distract me!

I was going to have the main gear doors down as per instructions but most photo's show them up, presumably they drop as hydraulic pressure drops in the system? I've tried to get the surface sheen as close to what I can see in the photo's and weathering approximate.

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

Your timing is perfect!

I was just sitting down to send a message to ask which radio mast you were going to use. The instructions show the paddle type but the pictures looked more like the tapered one. So tapered it shall be. 

It has been removed from the recovery prepped plane but I still needed to add it to the salvage pile.

Our colours are going to just about bang on considering time between the stages and the increased number of missions. Oh and the fact he bounced it off the ground and got it really dirty!

I didn't know anything about this aircraft or even Gentile until you posted that wreck picture but it is so famous and he seemed to like to have his picture taken that finding info was easier than normal.

EDIT: Pretty sure the variance in colour is more a difference in our lighting and photography skills (I am horrible) than they would appear in the same setting. Your chipping is almost the perfect transition to my later more beat version!

51165221933_4ac72f3418_b_d.jpg

51166687400_081033ff94_b.jpg

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@Tcoat that looks superb, love what you've pulled off there. I think the colour difference is more to do with the images as I've used the same olive drab as you. I brightened it up a bit when tidying the image up to show the variations more as this paint photographs very dark.

That cover over the engine looks fantastic :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

@Tcoat that looks superb, love what you've pulled off there. I think the colour difference is more to do with the images as I've used the same olive drab as you. I brightened it up a bit when tidying the image up to show the variations more as this paint photographs very dark.

That cover over the engine looks fantastic :)

As long as they keep making food products with textured foil I can keep making tarps!

51165189872_8968a3e8c7_b.jpg

Edited by Tcoat
  • Haha 2