453rd Museum build No.1 - Tamiya 1/48 P-51B - Shangri-La

I'm a bit late to the party on this one but planning to start it today. This is me creating some accountability to myself!

Probably one of the most famous P-51B's and been done many times, but hopefully I can still make the finish interesting. This is Don Gentile's partner in crime that took him through thick 'n' thin right up to the point that he pranged it at Debden airfield in front of the press shortly before returning to the US for a planned War Bond tour. It's going to be largely OOB other than some cockpit etch.

In better times

spacer.png

This photo shoes a great opportunity for weathering the surfaces

spacer.png

And in need of some serious T-cut, fortunately, it was only his pride that was lost in the accident!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:09 AM, woody37 said:

This photo shoes a great opportunity for weathering the surfaces

Looks like his crew chief, like many other enterprising 4th, 56th, and 78FG chiefs, put a pretty heavy coat of wax on his pilot's mount- to get just a few more miles per hour; as is often said, "Speed is life!" A neat project would be to build his wingman, John Godfrey's P-51B, "Reggie's  Reply" to  go with Gentile's Mustang.  The second linked photo shows Godfrey's second P-51B, which was pranged while being flown by his roommate- looks like both aces had bad luck with their early Mustangs!

Mike

Godrey's first Mustang- Reggie's Reply (hard to find a photo that shows the entire airplane)

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/19206

Godfrey's second Mustang-  Reggie's Reply

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/20775

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Neil

I'm in if you don't mind it !! :bandit:

Then you all folks finished your models a visit to the museum will be mandatory !!

At last !!

And some BMer's rocket fuel party on the parking lot...:jump_fire:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/12/2021 at 4:20 PM, Tcoat said:

Oh

Oh

OH

I want to do this!!!!

The model not crash.

51108436532_05bfa7d9a1_c_d.jpg

Already to much on the plate so will watch this with ineterest.

Great test of the skills to build as seen here, I'm fully behind you 😂 

On 4/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, 72modeler said:

Looks like his crew chief, like many other enterprising 4th, 56th, and 78FG chiefs, put a pretty heavy coat of wax on his pilot's mount- to get just a few more miles per hour; as is often said, "Speed is life!" A neat project would be to build his wingman, John Godfrey's P-51B, "Reggie's  Reply" to  go with Gentile's Mustang.  The second linked photo shows Godfrey's second P-51B, which was pranged while being flown by his roommate- looks like both aces had bad luck with their early Mustangs!

Mike

Godrey's first Mustang- Reggie's Reply (hard to find a photo that shows the entire airplane)

Who needed Germans when they could destroy their own aircraft 😂 Thanks for sharing Godfreys aircraft, I have another kit in the stash although want to do something different with that one. 

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oooh another museum build and a mustang too. 🥰 what scale is this one? 

I’ll tag along if that’s ok.

Johnny

Doh, forgot to state that, it's the Tamiya 1/48, I'll edit the post now, thanks

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Neil

I'm in if you don't mind it !! :bandit:

Then you all folks finished your models a visit to the museum will be mandatory !!

At last !!

And some BMer's rocket fuel party on the parking lot...:jump_fire:

Sincerely.

CC

Visiting the museum will be the best bit, any excuse to get over! The more, the merrier!

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• woody37 changed the title to 453rd Museum build No.1 - Tamiya 1/48 P-51B - Shangri-La

Well, that was quick! The interior is done. Do like doing 1/48 fighters as quick builds. I'm not sure I've got the interior colour bang on, but not overly worried.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wings are already together too, so next step is stitching the fuselage up. 

Cheers

• Like 16

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Great test of the skills to build as seen here, I'm fully behind you 😂 

Who needed Germans when they could destroy their own aircraft 😂 Thanks for sharing Godfreys aircraft, I have another kit in the stash although want to do something different with that one. 

Doh, forgot to state that, it's the Tamiya 1/48, I'll edit the post now, thanks

Visiting the museum will be the best bit, any excuse to get over! The more, the merrier!

Cheers.

Well I still have to finish my current projects but...

attachment.php?attachmentid=199344&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=199345&stc=1

The beauty of this one is that since the press was right there there are several pictures of the wreckage.

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 1:30 PM, 72modeler said:

Mike

Found this Instagram account while looking for crash picture. They are all restored and colourized pics and she does an absolutely incredible job! Some niggling errors but overall probably as or more accurate than any of us on our models!

Don't think you can download from there but a quick browse will find it. I also found a colorized and cleaned up picture of the crash diorama I am doing for the Shangri-La.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1W-VChFpC/ 

Oh found them in Facebook @Renee Colours

136975079_877071849772959_36090878365412

144215411_890027205144090_47618801519692

129579784_855434748603336_47765847801969

126058208_845556179591193_37567209588111

123608024_831954590951352_36921955624700

119797183_796367317843413_86755993741077

She doesn't have them all on Facebook apparently.

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

They are great pics tony, I know colourised images divide the crowd, but I'm a big fan as it is the closest we will get to being there.

Just got some pics done of where it's up to, just been plodding on very slowly. Still some more decals to go on yet, then some weathering and getting the sticky out bits painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The green in the UC bays looks more yellowish in real life. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, woody37 said:

They are great pics tony, I know colourised images divide the crowd, but I'm a big fan as it is the closest we will get to being there.

Just got some pics done of where it's up to, just been plodding on very slowly. Still some more decals to go on yet, then some weathering and getting the sticky out bits painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The green in the UC bays looks more yellowish in real life. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

Our wheel wells are a bit different but the rest will be very, very close I think! Since you used the earlier kill mark banner then any difference in weathering would easily be attributed to age. Even if it is the difference between a 4 week and 6 week old aircraft. 

• Like 1

Wow Neil, this is speedy for you, Half painted fus, assembly to a set of markings over paint. My gob is well and truly smacked.

Speed builds aren't the norm for you, however great to see.

Colin

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Neil, this is speedy for you, Half painted fus, assembly to a set of markings over paint. My gob is well and truly smacked.

Speed builds aren't the norm for you, however great to see.

Colin

That may be my fault. We are working on connected projects and I may have put a little inadvertent pressure on him since I was off last week and had loads of lockdown time to pull ahead. 

• Haha 1