большая оранжевая птица! Petlyakov Pe-8 Polar Aviation (Amodel 1/72) - where the heck did that deadline come from?!

TonyOD

I am genuinely puzzled as to how these spindly little bits of plastic are going to keep the beast off the deck.

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Al fresco modelling. It's outside drying, probably with a few hundred little bugs stuck to it. 

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

On 02/06/2021 at 20:24, TonyOD said:

Al fresco modelling. It's outside drying, probably with a few hundred little bugs stuck to it. 

spacer.png

Rita wants to know if "Tango" wants a pen pal  ?

Also she'll show you her undercarriage if you show her yours ! :wink:

IMG_4612

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Rita wants to know if "Tango" wants a pen pal  ?

I nearly bought one of those kits, but there#s only so much orange a man can take...

• Haha 5

Does everything have to be a battle?

Got the decals on last night, there aren't many of them but the large codes on the upper and lower wings were an absolute nightmare. Difficult to get off the base paper, very thin and "grabby", very hard to manipulate into position. I managed to get three of them done alright with a lot of prodding with brushes, unfolding and swearing (lots of swearing), the fourth one bested me alas. I think I should be able to patch it up with bits of black decal from my spares but it's just aggro. If i take anything from this build it'll be that everything I ever build in future will be a piece of cake by comparison (famous last words...)

spacer.png

Meanwhile I've just realised that some of the nose glazing that I've painstakingly masked should, in fact, be overpainted orange. I mean it's right there in the instructions (and a photo I've seen numerous times), I went with the instructions that came with the Eduard mask. I should get away with just leaving the masks where they are except maybe one window - the masking tape is yellow and may be visible through the nose.

Getting fed up of this now!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I know how this feels, a kit that just puts up a fight the whole way. I found that just stepping back for a day, doing something else then coming back with a calm head is far better than pressing on, because then you often compound the problem and that annoys you even more. That decal looks very easily fixed, a little black decal and it's all good.

• Like 1

Just got the last few decals on. Have you ever had a decalling sesh where you've held your breath throughout? the fuselage codes were as nightmarish as the wing codes, I had the foresight at least to cut them in half so I had separate "CCCP-" and "H396" decals, I think trying to handle long ribbony things would have been asking for trouble. The white "полярная авиация" decal on the nose was a miracle save, it smunshed itself into a tiny white ball of nothing so I whipped it off, floated it in a saucer of water  and prodded it around until unsmunched again. I managed to repair that dodgy "H396" on the upper wing with a strip of black decal and a sharpie. Anyway, I'm glad that bit's behind me, bit of drying time and another coat of Klear before I have a go at adding some life to those vast expanses of orange!

spacer.png

• Like 16

• TonyOD changed the title to большая оранжевая птица! Petlyakov Pe-8 Polar Aviation (Amodel 1/72) - decals on 6/6/21
1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

I'd thought about getting this once or twice.

Given the choice of the two, I'd think twice! 😁

• Like 1

In a short push this evening I've managed to finish the grey wash (which looks ok, maybe could have done better around the nacelles), applied a satin finish and got the masks off. Not that you can see it very well but the copilot's control stick appears to have survived its encounter with the vacuum cleaner.  Bit of tidying up and then on to the sticky onny bits.

spacer.png

• Like 12

• TonyOD changed the title to большая оранжевая птица! Petlyakov Pe-8 Polar Aviation (Amodel 1/72) - masks off 9/6/21

Considering all the vexations this kit caused, I wouldn't call this a very good result but nothing less than extraordinary.

You're a wild kits master trainer, mate!

On 6/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, TonyOD said:

Just got the last few decals on. Have you ever had a decalling sesh where you've held your breath throughout? the fuselage codes were as nightmarish as the wing codes, I had the foresight at least to cut them in half so I had separate "CCCP-" and "H396" decals, I think trying to handle long ribbony things would have been asking for trouble. The white "полярная авиация" decal on the nose was a miracle save, it smunshed itself into a tiny white ball of nothing so I whipped it off, floated it in a saucer of water  and prodded it around until unsmunched again. I managed to repair that dodgy "H396" on the upper wing with a strip of black decal and a sharpie. Anyway, I'm glad that bit's behind me, bit of drying time and another coat of Klear before I have a go at adding some life to those vast expanses of orange!

spacer.png

Looks really good!. It made me smile when you recounted the folded up decal problem and the miracle save in the water. That has happened to me so many times and thankfully, the water somehow helps.

• Thanks 1

Just caught up with this, looks really, erm, Orange. You've done a fine job, I'm struggling to get my Lanc' to look right and that's a Hasegawa kit!

Davey.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back from an epic overnight on the Three Peaks of Yorkshire...

spacer.png

...more or less caught up on my sleep and now I'm having trouble transferring back from orange trousers to orange model plane. It's a weird thing, I have real difficulty reconciling my two interests, one of which works on a tiny scale and the other on a vast scale, comparatively speaking. It's almost like they can't coexist. I've decided to pursue the Mountain Leader qualification which is going to take up a lot of my free time over the next few years so I reckon my modest stash is definitely in SABLE (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy) territory now.

Anyway, I can't find the will to get involved with the landing gear on the Pe-8, and there's some breathing room until the end of the GB so I think I'm going to put this one out to grass for a while and start something completely new in an effort to kick start my modelling mojo.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 20:25, TonyOD said:

...more or less caught up on my sleep and now I'm having trouble transferring back from orange trousers to orange model plane. It's a weird thing, I have real difficulty reconciling my two interests, one of which works on a tiny scale and the other on a vast scale, comparatively speaking. It's almost like they can't coexist. I've decided to pursue the Mountain Leader qualification which is going to take up a lot of my free time over the next few years so I reckon my modest stash is definitely in SABLE (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy) territory now.

Very originall model and subject, I will look with interesting if  you'll decide to go back with "orange bird".

I see we have similar hobbies (and dillemas) wich are rather difficult to met. More than 20 years I love walking mountains, canoeing, back country skiing (every year less and less snow) but ... modelas well. The result is sometimes even 5 or 6 months wut modelling but in general it is more or less balanced. To be honest, I think we are in very privileged situation - we have money physical strength and time for developing our passions and only difficulty is necessity to choose. Many people havn't such chance.

So take your time and enjoy whatever you choice.

PS. If you want see my blog - modell/outdoor passions you will find in HMS Jed WIP thread (in signature).

PPS. I try not to build too much models as well, and I often fail as well, so I understand you very well. In contrast, my outdoor passion teachs me how few things you need to be happy. And if you have (and carry!!!) too much, it really does't help you. It is very importat and unique lesson in today crazy world.

Best regards,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

The orange bird will fly eventually, @socjo1, I'm just having a breather. Actually last night I took it down from the shelf where it's been hiding and it looks, well, better than I remember.

I love your canoeing pics with your boy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Tony, looks the business mate.

I also admire your will power, having got this close to finishing it, to put it to one side and start something else, really takes some doing !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Tony @TonyOD, you’ve really got my fingers going and they’ve already been trawling the net for a good deal, inc the PE and masks!!!! I’m torn between Amodel and Zvezda, though :(

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Tony @TonyOD, you’ve really got my fingers going and they’ve already been trawling the net for a good deal, inc the PE and masks!!!! I’m torn between Amodel and Zvezda, though :(

Martin

Contrail do one...... :whistle:

• Haha 2