CHiPs KZ1000 (Aoshima 1:12)

wimbledon99

Hi All,

This will be my build for the GB. I bought this kit last year for something 'different' and the fact I loved the show as a kid!!

There are 4 versions in the manual but I'm going with the earliest. There are also parts for a 'sport' version so I guess I'll be picking my way through the parts I need and will have a fair number of spare parts at the end.

2kNujTR%5D

2kNujUC%5D

2kNqdTP%5D

2kNujXy%5D

2kNujY5%5D

2kNtQWH%5D

• Like 13

Chips is back on the tele (if it ever went away!). I have been seeing the tail end of programmes recently before Citizen Smith comes on at 7pm on Forces TV. I never saw the series when it first came out, so this should be interesting. You of course need another as whenever I have seen those clips, there are always two bikes in close formation...

All the best with this,

Ray

• Like 1

OK, So I went off piste. I thought if the decals don't play ball then the model is lost; I therefore started with the tank as it's the main focus.

The top decal failed miserably hence I painted it but the rest were OK (though the lines were a bit of a struggle)

2kTCQgJ%5D

Needs a little touch in but I think I'm OK to crack on with the rest of the build now! :phew:

• Like 13

Thanks Brad! Appreciated :happy:

Jeroen, I was certain at 10 years old I was going to fly off to California and become a CHiPs officer so I could work with the pair of them; didn't happen though :wink:

Quick update as I've pieced together the engine. I've left a couple of parts with the kit chrome, just to break up the tones. The rest is Alclad over black.

2kU1mMd%5D

2kTUCWA%5D

• Like 9

I'm from '71 so same age group, I always thought they were pretty cool guys. As a kid you could be totally engrossed. 

I do remember building a few motorcycle kits when I was in my early teens. My models never lasted long back then... 

• Like 1

I made some more progress today. The rear wheel parts are painted and assembled and I've painted the frame too. She should start to take the shape of a bike soon 🤞

(I must try to do something about the lighting. It's fine for working with but doesn't appear to be the case for the photos!)

2kUnXgV%5D

2kUmSnw%5D

2kUqRaS%5D

• Like 10

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

(I must try to do something about the lighting. It's fine for working with but doesn't appear to be the case for the photos!)

A couple of lamps on both sides works. Or use the light sensitivity slide on your phone's camera (if you use it, and if it has one). And try Faststone image viewer for some "after processing". It has a really nice and simple photo editing mode. you can light them up digitally, add a bit of contrast and such. Works a treat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've not sorted the lighting yet so this update is just as was. Some of the front wheel parts now painted and assembled.

I meant to say that bleach was just not touching the chromed parts so I had to resort to Oven Pride; even then it wasn't quick! However, worth doing I hope

2kVjriE%5D

• Like 9

This is looking very good! :thumbsup:

For my one attempt to remove chrome, Coke did a great job with the paint, but I too had to resort to a harsh oven cleaner to remove that clearcoat beneath the chrome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This is looking very good! :thumbsup:

For my one attempt to remove chrome, Coke did a great job with the paint, but I too had to resort to a harsh oven cleaner to remove that clearcoat beneath the chrome.

Up until this build, standard bleach has always done the trick but this stuff must have been layered and baked! :phew:

Managed to get some work done on this over the weekend. Frame joined and additional parts painted. Decals have Sol on and once dry will have a top coat of varnish. I'll also drop some Klear into the Speedo and Tach for glass.

2kWqMHJ%5D

2kWtBwB%5D

• Like 11

Hi Nigel. I hope you and yours are all keeping well. With getting my most recent build finished and having two weeks until I can start anything new (in the Less Than a Tenner GB), I decided to catch up on what everyone else has been up to. Turns out you are already off to an awesome start on what is a great idea for a build! It really is looking impressive already! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix and thank you! :happy:

I'm hoping to get quite a bit more done to this over the next couple of weeks and I'm also looking forward to your GB (I might have to build the Typhoon in parallel).

See you there!!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...