Tims Evening Star - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Joining with this Dapol kit,

Dapol-Evening-Star.jpg

Bought at Cheltenham Model Centre for £13.05, on 02 Dec 2020 - about the last time they were open.

Parts, I'm quite impressed.

01-Parts.jpg

I built a Dapol Battle of Britain in 2017, and the parts were quite warped.

These are much more straight.

And instructions, there's only one option for this build.

01-Instructions.jpg

• Like 14

On 4/11/2021 at 12:01 PM, Mjwomack said:

I've a good feeling about this. Not necessarily the kit, but your success as kicking it into shape. It's always a slippery slope as to how much you spend on AM items in my experiences though

No aftermarket for this build.  We'll see if the spares box adds anything.

Meanwhile the real thing - which I saw on a visit to the National Railway Museum in York in 2017.
02-Evening-Star-1.jpg

02-Evening-Star-2.jpg

And another in the same class.  92203 Black Prince, which was operated on the Glos Warks Railway,

and passing Cheltenham Archers, where I attended a few tournaments.

02-Black-Prince-1.jpg

02-Black-Prince-2.jpg

• Like 10

This is a very nice subject Tim. It is one of the only rail kits I have built, but I have done three or four over the years, purely out of the box.

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2021 at 11:56, theplasticsurgeon said:

Parts, I'm quite impressed.

I built a Dapol Battle of Britain in 2017, and the parts were quite warped.

These are much more straight.

The Evening Star moulds are 60 years old this year, the Battle of Britain class moulds are 2 years older...

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

No aftermarket for this build.  We'll see if the spares box adds anything.

Meanwhile the real thing - which I saw on a visit to the National Railway Museum in York in 2017.
02-Evening-Star-1.jpg

02-Evening-Star-2.jpg

And another in the same class.  92203 Black Prince, which was operated on the Glos Warks Railway,

and passed Cheltenham Archers, where I attended a few tournaments.

02-Black-Prince-1.jpg

02-Black-Prince-2.jpg

That bring back some happy memories. I think I am right in saying that 92203 was the 9F that David Shepherd bought from BR and ran on the East Somerset Railway, and when my kids were little we paid them a visit. Beautiful weather and a lovely day out though my finances would not run to buying any of the prints of his superb paintings they were selling in the Signal Box in a vain attempt to offset the running costs. A year or two later I picked up the old Triang/Hornby Evening Star in hideous glossy green for a few pounds, and converted it to 92203 with wire handrails, proper scale couplings, vac pipes and the platform in front of the smokebox, and painted and marked it in a filthy BR in service condition. It is sitting in a display cabinet a few metres away from where I am typing "keyboarding" this.😁

Good luck with the build - I have 2 Airfix/Dapol Schools and a BoB/West Country languishing half finished - probably spent more on decs and name plates than the ruddy kits cost me!

Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

That bring back some happy memories. I think I am right in saying that 92203 was the 9F that David Shepherd bought from BR and ran on the East Somerset Railway, and when my kids were little we paid them a visit. Beautiful weather and a lovely day out though my finances would not run to buying any of the prints of his superb paintings they were selling in the Signal Box in a vain attempt to offset the running costs. A year or two later I picked up the old Triang/Hornby Evening Star in hideous glossy green for a few pounds, and converted it to 92203 with wire handrails, proper scale couplings, vac pipes and the platform in front of the smokebox, and painted and marked it in a filthy BR in service condition. It is sitting in a display cabinet a few metres away from where I am typing "keyboarding" this.😁

Good luck with the build - I have 2 Airfix/Dapol Schools and a BoB/West Country languishing half finished - probably spent more on decs and name plates than the ruddy kits cost me!

Pete

Yes, 92203 was owned by David Shepherd, his namebadge on the front.  Operated by East Somerset from 1973-1998,   then GWR from 2004-2011.

Owned and operated by North Norfolk Railway since 2015.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Owned and operated by North Norfolk Railway since 2015

And still very active, and loved; it was the standby engine to the J15 for the first day of public service of the year on Monday. There's something for a future, parochial, pub quiz

• Like 3

I also saw that in York a couple years ago.

wm-evening-star-8433.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of this pic.

The tragedy of that visit is that I was so excited by the impressive display that I failed to notice my camera had mysteriously switched from shooting RAW images to low-resolution jpgs. I'm almost in tears that I'll probably never get the chance to re-visit England to see these again and the vast majority of my photos are essentially rubbish compared to what I expected to have.

I look forward to seeing this build.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If it is any consolation I have taken pictures at the Museum many times, but the combination of an old camera, poor lighting and overcrowding in the early days means that few of mine have come out as well as yours above - this is typical of the problem!

20180321231840-12

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to PeterB and Ol'Scrapiron for their photos - I hope they kept everybody entertained.

I'm finally able to join you - having completed my vacuuming.  Started by airbrushing the wheels and chassis black.

03-Painted-Parts.jpg

• Like 7

My problem would be to use p/e number and name plates, a decal lining set and real coal in the tender, I just cannot help myself.

Here is a Hornby Coronation in wartime black, these magnificent engines had some of the streamlining removed from the tenders to ease coaling and water re-filling during black-out conditions.

Hornby never made a tender in this condition so I am converting it myself.  Just after the war they had the rest of their streamlining removed for ease of maintenance.

IMG_1584

Fortunately, for those like me that like a streamliner the Duchess of Hamilton has been re-streamlined and now resides at the York rail museum.

IMG_0737

• Like 14

Great Thread. If I built a loco it would probably be 'Evening Star' but the only overlap between my Hornby layout and my model making was an Aifix engine shed.

• Like 1

Buffer and couplers fitted.  And copper lined chimney top.

Buffers.jpg

Copper pipes that are so distinctive on this class, and brake handles in the tender.

Copper-Nbrakes.jpg

Which brings construction to a close.  Just some pinstripes on the boiler casing left now.

• Like 10