Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang "Home James"

For me, another CAC Boomerang, this time a CA-13. It looks pretty much the same as the CA-19 I posted on Aussie Modeller a few months back, the only noticeable difference is the lack of provision for the fuselage camera.

Its pretty much built with the same mods as the previous one - Red Roo enhancement set, Yahu instrument panel, Pavla vac canopy (sliding section only) and some odd additions noted in the previous build.

For anyone interested in the build updates - refer to this topic on Aussie Modeller:

http://forum.aussiemodeller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16434&p=122234#p122234

Seeing this is pretty much a mirror of the previous build, the only notes will be on the finish.

This is A46-199, the last CAC-13 before production switched to the CAC-19 contract. The plane was flown by Jack Archer and is a 4 Sqdn aircraft. Jack Archer shot down a Ki 43 "Oscar" while flying a Wirraway so would have been entitled to add a "Kill" marking to this plane but he didn't.

There are a number of discussions here and on Aussie Modeller about this airframe however most of it is regarding the colour of the panel under the starboard side of the cockpit an nd the burning behind the exhaust. I've decided to finish it as plywood - it's a decal with an oil wash over it to darken it.

The aircraft is in standard Foliage Green/Earth Brown/Sky Blue finish with a white tail and leading edge. The starboard tailplane looks like a replacement and isn't as heavily coated in white as the rest of the tail. The main experiment I tried with this finish was to fish out an old can of HB2 Humbrol RAF Dark Green to try it out as Foliage Green (A past member of our club Fred Harris once did a test of a real aircraft piece with Foliage Green and painted some HB2 on it and it was a good match). The Earth Brown was a mix of Humbrol 98 Chocolate with some Humbrol 10 Service Brown. This combined the better paint coverage of Hu 98 with the more accurate colour match of Hu 10. The decals are mainly from the kit however I replaced the Squadron Codes with those from PJ Decals. These are Medium Sea Grey codes and match better than the darker kit ones. The PD decals are quite old and Peter Roberts who was the modeller behind the decals recommends using a decal sealer on them. I ended up having to use Testors decal sealer on it after one of the code letters shattered.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the appearance of the colour combination but I haven't got much more HB2 left so I'll have to see if the modern Hu 30 which is meant to be its equivalent is the same colour.

spacer.png

spacer.png

April_2021_models_203.jpg

spacer.png

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 21

That's great work.

The dark brown colour looks like an especially good match - it always comes across as, tonally, quite dark in contemporary photographs.

The plywood panel is a novel addition too - looks plausible I think.

:thumbsup:

Edited by kapam

That is a lovely job Michael. I'll happily confess to total confusion re Aussie colours, but I'm happy to have a steer re the Earth brown, as for Hu30 being a match for Foliage green, I've long harboured the believe it was 'sposed to be Hu149? :unsure: Happy to be contradicted on that.  Hmmm, too many happies in this post. 😠 :D

Steve.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a lovely job Michael. I'll happily confess to total confusion re Aussie colours, but I'm happy to have a steer re the Earth brown, as for Hu30 being a match for Foliage green, I've long harboured the believe it was 'sposed to be Hu149? :unsure: Happy to be contradicted on that.  Hmmm, too many happies in this post. 😠 :D

Steve.

Hi Steve, yes Australian colours can be hard to get information on outside Australia. Red Roo still produces a small booklet on them and Ian Baker did produce a number of paint chips a number of years back but these would be just about impossible to find now.

Hu 149 is a FS34092 equivalent which is one of the colours usually quoted as a close match for Foliage Green and I have used it on a number of kits. Foliage Green though isn't "exactly" the same as the FS number, in fact there have been a number of paint chips for Foliage Green (maybe different manufacturers or paint condition) which vary in different shades. HB2 looks a good match to the paint chips I have for Foliage Green but I haven't popped open the current can of Hu 30 to see if it anything like the Authentics colour. If it is I'll probably use it for future builds, if not it will go back in the stash for a future unknown use.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2